Post Group: Super Member
cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
The Flying Tigers Association, in accordance with the proposal made at our September 2013 Reunion in Huntsville, AL, presents the following information to ensure that all of our Tigers are accounted for and returned to their families:.
Please NOTE: if you have any information about the loss of our Tigers please add it to this thread on our Forum to help us find them! Thank you....
A MASTER LIST OF ALL AVG LOST IN THE CBI
We are in the process of collecting "status info" from family members, cemeteries & other sources for those AVG who did not return from the CBI.
The total number is 30 which includes 23 lost (KIA/KIFA/MIA) during the
AVG contract period (and 2-week extension to 18 Jul 42), 4 AVG killed while serving with the US Army Air Force (23FG/CATF or 14AF/CACW) in China from mid-July '42 to the end of the war (Frank Schiel, Roy Hoffman, George McMillan, Bill Reed) and 3 AVG lost while flying with CNAC to supply the CBI theater (Dean, A. Wright, Mickelson).
Below is the list so far, in chronological order of loss:
1. Armstrong, John Dean - KIFA 8Sep41 Toungoo, buried in grave #1 at the Airmen's Cemetery at St. Luke's Anglican Church in Toungoo, Burma, see below *. To be buried with family on June 17,2017 in Hutchinson, KS.
2. Hammer, Maax C. Jr. -KIFA 22Sep41 Toungoo, buried in grave #2 at the Airmen's Cemetery at St. Luke's Anglican Church in Toungoo, Burma, see below *. Buried next to parents/grandparents, March 21, 2017, Oakland Cemetery, Carbondale, IL.
3. Atkinson, Peter W. - KIFA 25Oct41 Toungoo, buried in grave #3 at the Airmen's Cemetery at St. Luke's Anglican Church in Toungoo, Burma, see below *. Buried with many family members, April 8, 2017, Rosedale Cemetery, Martinsburg, WV.
4. Martin, Neil G. - KIA 23Dec41 Rangoon, buried at church of Edward the Martyr, then buried in Plot 45, Mingaladon Cantonment Cemetery, Rangoon, Burma. Memorial stone place on Lot 13, Sect. E in Hillcrest Cemetery, Texarkana, TX. Probably still buried in Burma.
5. Gilbert, Henry G. Jr. - KIA 23Dec41 Rangoon, buried 12/24 Church of Edward the Martyr, Insein, Rangoon, then BURIED PunchBowl, HI, grave D477.
6. Mangleburg, Lacy F. - KIFA 24Dec41 Lotien Shwangpo,China, buried Chinese Cemetery for Military Aviators, Kunming, then BUR 3/18/49,Sec. C, Lot 51, Oconee Hill Cem. Athens, GA *
7. Baugh, Marion Flay - KIFA 3Jan42 Kunming, buried CCMAv., Kunming, then BURIED Grove Hill Cem(sect 53, lot 45, space 2) Dallas, TX on 8/25/48. *
8. Merritt, Kenneth T. - KIFA 8Jan42 Rangoon, buried Rangoon, Burma. Then reported BURIED Arlington, TX 3/25/49.
9. Christman, Allen "Bert" - KIA 23Jan42 Rangoon, buried Rangoon, then India, then BURIED in Grandview Cem. (sect 8, lot 208, grave 2) Ft. Collins, CO on Feb. 4 '50
10. Hoffman, Louis "Cokey" - KIA 26Jan42 Rangoon, buried Rangoon, Burma then reburied, then BURIED PunchBowl, HI, grave F1242.
11. Cole, Thomas J. Jr. - KIA 30Jan42 Moulmein, Burma, crashed behind enemy lines then? (March 31, 1942 official report filed by U.S. Consul Troy L. Perkins in Kunming, China---Cole was shot down over Moulmein, Burma. Details reported by AVG Chaplain Paul W. Frillmann).
12. Sandell, Robert J. - KIFA 7Feb42 Rangoon, buried Church of Edward The Martyr, Mingaladon, Burma, then?
13. Leibolt, Edward J. - MIA/KIA 25Feb42 Rangoon, never recovered.
14. Fauth, John E. - KIA 21Mar42 Magwe, Burma, then buried in the British cantonment cemetery, then? (Crew Chief -only groundcrew KIA)
15. Newkirk, John VanKuren - KIA 24Mar42 Chiang Mai, Thailand, then? BURIED St James the Less Church Cemetery in Scarsdale, NY
16. Swartz, Frank W. - KIA/DOW 24Apr42 buried at St. Sepulcher Church Cemetery, Poona, India (Paxton's film of gravesite at Edward the Martyr Church), then?
17. Blackburn, John Ed III - KIFA 28Apr42 KunmingDianchi Lake, China, buried CCMAv, Kunming, then BURIED Llano Cem., Amarillo, TX 1949. *
18. Foshee, Ben Crum - KIA/DOW 4May42 Paoshan, China, buried CCMAv, Kunming then repatriated by CDR Pascal Lassiter,USN (Ret.) in 44-45, BURIED at Fairmount Cem, Red Level, AL. *
19. Donovan, John Tyler - KIA 12May42 Hanoi, Indochina (Vietnam), then BURIED Greenwood Cemetery, Montgomery, AL.
20. Jones, Thomas A. - KIFA 16May42 Kunming, China, buried CCMAv, Kun, then BURIED 7/11/49 Mtn View Cem, Walla Walla, WA Plot WALLA-MV-71-20-1 *
21. Little, Robert Laing - KIA 22May42 Salween River Gorge, never recovered.
22. Petach, John E. "Pete" Jr. - KIA 10Jul42 Nanchang (Lin Chuan/Fuzhou), China, crashed behind enemy lines, never recovered.
23. Shamblin, Arnold W. - MIA/KIA 10Jul42 Nanchang, China, hit by ground fire just after Petach, survived parachuting to ground, captured/tortured/executed by Japanese, crashed behind enemy lines, never recovered.
* in 1947 an Army Graves Registration Service (AGRS) team went to the cemetery of St. Luke's Anglican Church in Toungoo, Burma. Thanks to information from the cemetery caretaker the AGRS team disinterred four sets of remains identified as AVG #1,2,3,4 and transferred them to Barrackpore, India where autopsies were conducted on the skeletal remains and they were classified (as X-633,634,635,636) and re-buried. In late 1948 they were disinterred and transferred to Hawaii where, on Mar 22-23, 1949, they were interred in the Punchbowl Cemetery on Oahu, Hawaii. They rested in peace for 67 years until JPAC staff reviewed the files and notified 3 families. Through their efforts and many contacts with JPAC officials and congressmen the remains were disinterred on April 11, 2016 and DNA samples were immediately sent to the DNA ID Lab. Families were notified on January 4, 2017 that a positive ID had been made. The families then awaited the return of their long lost loved Tigers.....
NOTE: remains buried in grave F1216 at Punchbowl Cemetery in Hawaii and designated as AVG #4 in Unknown file X-636 is most likely not AVG based on historic & forensic evidence.
24. Schiel, Frank Jr. - KIA 7Dec42, crash of recon a/c as (CO 74FS, Major USAAF), BURIED Mountain View Cemetery, Plot N-26C in Prescott, AZ.
25. Hoffman, Roy G. - 25Aug43, died in Chanyi, China (14AF HQ, Major USAAF), BURIED Punchbowl, HI, grave A453.
26. McMillan, George Bray - KIA 24Jun44, crash of P-38, in China (CO 449FS, Lt. Col. USAAF). Buried in China, then BURIED Arlington Ntl. Cem 3/12/48, Sect. 12/grave 3375
27. Reed, William Norman - KIA 19Dec44, bailing out of P-40 (chute failed to open) Heng Yang, China (CO 3FG, Lt. Col. USAAF), BURIED Riverside Cemetery, Plot: Block1, 2nd Add, lot 14 in Anamosa, Iowa.
28. Dean, John - 17Nov42 -a pilot with the 1st Sqdn "Adam & Eves" and was officially credited with 3 1/4 enemy aircraft destroyed. Now, the crash site of Dean's CNAC #60 has been found according to the article linked in Post #37 with addtl. info in #86. Dean's remains lie buried near the crash site at 13,400 ft on the southern slope of Malong Peak in the Cang Shan Mountain range, near Dali, China, along with his co-pilot James Browne and their Chinese radioman, K.L. Yang.
29. Wright, Allen M. - 10Dec43 -from the 1st Pursuit Squadron, was killed in the crash of CNAC #83 in China.
30. Mickelson, Einar I. - 20Feb44 -credited with 1/4 enemy aircraft destroyed while flying in the 1st Squadron, died in the crash of CNAC #75 in China.
* Chinese Cemetery for Military Aviators, 8k east of Kunming on the Kweiyang Road - graves marked with headstones (Blackburn, Jones, Foshee, Mangleburg, Baugh)
The attached map of this Chinese Cemetery for Mlty. Aviators at Kunming was provided by an AVG Family member, Jane Rowinsky.
So far, we have the remains of the following eighteen (18) AVG confirmed as having been returned to the US:
Armstrong, Atkinson, Baugh, Blackburn, Christman, Donovan, Foshee, Gilbert, Hammer L. Hoffman, R. Hoffman, Jones, Mangleburg, McMillan, Merritt, Newkirk, Reed & Schiel.
SUMMARY OF MISSING AVG TO BE REPATRIATED (12)
1st Tier - those who were buried in known locations, but status/repatriation not yet confirmed (4)
1. Neil G. Martin (Mingaladon, Rangoon, Burma)
2. Robert J. Sandell (Rangoon, Burma)
3. John E. Fauth (British cantonment cemetery, Magwe, Burma)
4. Frank W. Swartz (Poona, India)
2nd Tier - those KIA/MIA not yet located and/or recovered (8)
5. Thomas Jefferson Cole, Jr. (crashed behind enemy lines near Moulmein, Burma) KIA, STATUS OF REMAINS UNKNOWN
6. Edward J. Leibolt (forced down Rangoon area in southern Burma) MIA/KIA, STATUS OF REMAINS UNKNOWN
7. Robert Laing Little (crashed in/near Salween River Gorge) KIA, STATUS OF REMAINS UNKNOWN
8. John E. "Pete" Petach (crashed Nam Chang, China) KIA, STATUS OF REMAINS UNKNOWN
9. Arnold "Red" Shamblin (crashed Nam Chang, China) MIA/POW/KIA STATUS OF REMAINS UNKNOWN
10. John Dean (CNAC #60 crash site at 14,000 ft on Cangshan Mountain in China)(reported that the crew was buried near the crash site)
11. Allen M. Wright (crash of CNAC #83)
12. Einar I. Mickelson (crash of CNAC #75)
MYSTERY----What happened to Tom Cole, Ed Leibolt, Bob Little, Pete Petach & Red Shamblin??
Can you help us account for our Lost Tigers?
Edited by aaatripp : April 11, 2017, 9:48 am
Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee
AVG Flying Tigers Association