Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : A.V.G. War Diary?

Threaded Mode | Print  

A.V.G. War Diary? (9 Replies, Read 7712 times)
Tiger5
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
After reading Olga Greenlaw's book, I'm wondering if, or why not, her diary/notes have ever been published. There is an A.V.G. unit history for sale on ebay privately published by Pawley in 1945. Could this contain Olga's writings? On another Tiger site, somebody named Van Zandt claims to have her actual diary, but it's hard to navigate. This needs to get written, if it's not already. Does anybody know where her diary can be viewed?
IP: --   

A.V.G. War Diary?
aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
Olga Greenlaw was the wife of AVG Exec. Officer, Harvey Greenlaw.  Olga was directed by Col. Chennault to begin her AVG group diary/record on 8 Dec 41 after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and American facilities on Oahu, Hawaii.  In the AVG Flying Tigers Association we have copies of her diary.

Also, her book entitled "The Lady and the Tigers" was published in 1943 and is Olga's personal story of her experiences with the AVG.  Definitely a spicy side of the heroic AVG Flying Tigers story.

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, Historian
AVG Flying Tigers Association

A.V.G. War Diary?
Tiger5
Can they be viewed online? If not, where are they physically located? The "A.V.G.  Flying Tigers Association", is this a brick and mortar museum or similar facility?

A.V.G. War Diary?
aaatripp

Excellent question, thanks!

It's an association of honorably discharged members of the AVG and their families.  While we do not maintain our own museum there are many museums with displays and collections all over the world dedicated to the AVG Flying Tigers.  See this link:

http://www.flyingtigersavg.com/index.php/avg-displays

We are again working to upgrade our AVG website and we'll work on making contents of Olga's AVG war diary available to the public.

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, Historian

A.V.G. War Diary?
BenL
Sorry, I misunderstood but it was her personal diary that was reportedly burned. Possibly truths to her "dating" some of the pilots?
Word is that it was burned per her wishes after she passed.

Edited by BenL : June 17, 2016, 5:22 pm

A.V.G. War Diary?
LydiaRossi
Post Group: Elite Member

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
I know there are copies around. I have not heard of the original being burned. I don't know why she would do that.

A.V.G. War Diary?
aaatripp

Frankly, it was not Olga's property to do with as she pleased.  She was tasked by Col. Chennault to keep the group diary in the role of Historian. Thus, this diary became a matter of AVG documents.

As for her personal diary----that could very well have been the basis for her book.

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, Historian

A.V.G. War Diary?
mickelman
Quote From : aaatripp June 17, 2016, 3:06 pm
Frankly, it was not Olga's property to do with as she pleased.  She was tasked by Col. Chennault to keep the group diary in the role of Historian. Thus, this diary became a matter of AVG documents.

As for her personal diary----that could very well have been the basis for her book.

This thread has confused three "diaries."

Mrs Greenlaw kept the Group War Diary from December 8, 1941, to about the middle of April 1942, when it was taken over by Doreen Davis, who also retyped and edited some of the early entries. So there are actually two GWDs. Greenberg took a carbon of HER version home with her and used it in writing her book. As I recall, it was "loaned" to the writers of the army history of CBI and never returned; I think it is now on microfilm at Maxwell AFB.

Mrs Davis's GWD stayed with Chennault and is included (perhaps  in pieces) in the Chennault Papers at Stanford, microfilm copy at the Library of Congress.

The third diary is Mrs Greenlaw's own diary, which she quotes at length in her book. When she died, it was apparently her wish that it be burned. She was survived by two sisters, Alicia and Beatriz. Alicia believed that it had indeed been burned, but when Beatriz died in turn, the diary surfaced among her possessions. It was sold at auction on eBay and bought, I have been told, by a collector in Hawaii who has not made it public.

A.V.G. War Diary?
aaatripp

Thanks for this update to clarify for our AVG Forum.

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, Historian

A.V.G. War Diary?
LydiaRossi
Post Group: Elite Member

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
Good research Mickelman....thank you.

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
aaatripp, BillC, LydiaRossi, BenL, mickelman, Jmalford, Tiger5

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : A.V.G. War Diary?