Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Machine Guns on the P-40B/C

Threaded Mode | Print  

Machine Guns on the P-40B/C (1 Replies, Read 6841 times)
mayor
Group: Member
Post Group: Working Member

If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong
I have heard that some of the AVG P-40s had British .303 machine guns (because they were slated for the RAF) but the rest had .30 cal. Can anyone tell me what the distribution was on these a/c.....how many had each (just the Bs & Cs.....I know the Es had .50s and .30s. Does anyone know the whole story on this?
IP: --   

Machine Guns on the P-40B/C
aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
Mayor----thanks for your inquiry.  As for the "whole story" we have the best source available on this Forum, 3rd Sqdn. armorer Chuck Baisden.  Please note that the E-models only had six 50s, three in each wing.

Chuck Baisden's responses

1.  June 14, 2010

Here's Chuck's answer:
The P-40 B  M2 .30 caliber machine gun fired at the rate of 1350 r.p.m and carried 500 rounds per gun (4).
The P-40 B  M2 .50 caliber machine gun fired at the rate of  800 r.p.m  and carried 200 rounds per gun (2).

Guess you can figure out yourself how many seconds it would take to run dry.
Not a good idea as you as you will burn out the barrels or start having cook offs from overheated guns. 

2.  Dec. 1, 2010

For your information, All AVG P-40 B aircraft were flown from Rangoon to Toungoo (Keydaw) without armament which were installed and bore sighted by armorers assigned from all 3 sqdns.
NO .303s were ever used. One squadron did have 7.9 caliber wing guns and the other two were armed with .30 caliber. (7.63)
The .303 was a rimmed cartridge and could not be loaded in the .30 or 7.9 machine guns, which were rimless. Nor were the 7.9 and .30 interchangable with each other.

Chuck B.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

So, there you have it---straight from a direct source who worked on the very armament in the AVG Flying Tigers inventory!  Thanks for supporting the mission of the AVG Forum....to preserve the accurate history of the AVG Flying Tigers.

Edited by aaatripp : July 12, 2016, 9:22 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, Historian
AVG Flying Tigers Association
IP: --   

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
worldraft, aaatripp, mayor, LydiaRossi

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Machine Guns on the P-40B/C