Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : An Interesting Experience.

Threaded Mode | Print  

An Interesting Experience. (5 Replies, Read 15917 times)
SilverDollar
Group: Member
Post Group: Elite Member
I had an interesting experience yesterday.  I went to a Chinese restaurant in my area last night.  It was cool enough for me to wear a jacket so I just happened to take my AVG tribute A2 jacket, the one in the picture below. 

Board Image

One of the older waitresses (about 40 or so.  It was hard to tell because she was a real knock out)  saw the jacket and came over to ask me if the jacket came from China.  I told her I did it myself and was paying tribute to the Flying Tigers.  She knew exactly who the Tigers were and what they did for China.  Her eyes lit up when I mentioned the words Fei Hu. She called over one of the managers who was also about the same age and he remembered who the Flying Tigers were.  She even translated the repro blood chit I sewed to the jacket lining.  It just goes to show you, the memory of Fei Hu carries on and hasn't been forgotten even through the Cultural Revolution which was responsible for a lot of lost Chinese history.  The waitress also remembered the 1937 Nanjing Massacre and how many people were murdered by the Empire of the Sun.  The legend lives on.   

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.
IP: --   

An Interesting Experience.
hc8mm
Post Group: Newbie
the memory of Fei Hu carries on and hasn't been forgotten even through the Cultural Revolution which was responsible for a lot of lost Chinese history

Well, the history wasn't lost. Western sources still has it recorded.

Taiwan still has the history too. When the Nationalists lost the mainland, they fled with a bunch of national treasure, although I heard only a fraction were removed to Taiwan and the rest were captured sitting on docks as they awaited to be transferred. Anyways, the Mainlanders now have to redig the artifacts that they destroyed.

But you should ask where the family was from, if they were Taiwan or from China. A lot of Chinese know about the Flying Tigers more than you think :D

aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
"the Mainlanders now have to redig the artifacts that they destroyed."

Can you tell us what this means?.....please translate for us.  Xie, xie.

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee
AVG Flying Tigers Association

SilverDollar
Post Group: Elite Member
Quote From : hc8mm October 23, 2010, 2:30 am
the memory of Fei Hu carries on and hasn't been forgotten even through the Cultural Revolution which was responsible for a lot of lost Chinese history

Well, the history wasn't lost. Western sources still has it recorded.

Taiwan still has the history too. When the Nationalists lost the mainland, they fled with a bunch of national treasure, although I heard only a fraction were removed to Taiwan and the rest were captured sitting on docks as they awaited to be transferred. Anyways, the Mainlanders now have to redig the artifacts that they destroyed.

But you should ask where the family was from, if they were Taiwan or from China. A lot of Chinese know about the Flying Tigers more than you think :D

When I said that certain history was lost, I didn't mean it was lost all together. I meant particularly on the Chinese mainland.  Taiwan and western powers never went through the Cultural Revolution so how could all the history go away.  As far as the people I was talking to were concerned, they were from the mainland.  I am also very aware that there are a lot of mainland Chinese who remember the AVG.  I relate this story not with surprise but more of an "ain't this a cool thing?"  BTW, if AVG history was lost altogether, this site wouldn't exist.  ;-D

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

hc8mm
Post Group: Newbie
aaatrip, I am not sure what you mean? I was just being sarcastic. I am sure a lot of artifacts were hidden away or forgotten and some were rediscovered from archaeologist sites. If it is my grammar issue, I know it is not the best since I was not raised in an English speaking family...

SilverDollar, I understand, it is hard to forget when a group of people, the Flying Tigers, helped to fight against the Japanese. As long as the story is told, nobody will forget! :)

Edited by hc8mm : October 23, 2010, 11:03 am

aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
It was a grammar issue.  Now that you've identified your
statement as sarcasm....it's clear.

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee
AVG Flying Tigers Association

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
ForumAdmin, chuckbaisden, aaatripp, BradSmith, BillC, BenL, RickDaniel, SilverDollar, hc8mm, 04397, hawkadoodle, bigirish6, k-owens, rjm65, tibor, StephenLoane

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : An Interesting Experience.