Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : John Heller

Threaded Mode | Print  

John Heller, Seeking personal recollections (4 Replies, Read 12252 times)
Elutzow
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
I am seeking anyone who has a personal recollection of my father, John Heller, from his service with AVG.
He died in 1999 in Tucson, AZ.
IP: --   

John Heller
BillC
Post Group: Elite Member
The Pistole book lists him as having left the group before July 4, 1942, when they officially disbanded. Recollections will be hard to come by as there are only, I believe, ten AVG members remaining.

Edited by BillC : November 8, 2010, 12:48 pm

John Heller
chuckbaisden
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Working Member
      John E. Heller-Home of Record Milwaukee, Wisconsin left the AVG 3/17/42.
  :-( Did not complete his contract  and did not recieve an Honorable Discharge.
        Chuck B.

John Heller
Elutzow
Post Group: Newbie
The timing of his departure is about what I understand. I did not understand that he was not honorably discharged but I have no records of that.  Do you have records to support that? Why he left before contract? 
You should know he was travelling to US on merchant vessel, Quaker City, in May, 1942. Quaker City, a Hog Islander freighter,  was torpedoed in south Atlantic and sunk by U-boat. My father, was travelling as passenger after discharge from AVG and enroute to US to re-enlist in US Army.  He did survive the sinking with some members of crew. After eight days in life boat, he and those in his life boat were rescued at Barbados. He served in World War II and was honorably discharged.

John Heller
BillC
Post Group: Elite Member
The SS Quaker City was sunk on May 18, 1942 by U-156 commanded by W. Hartenstein. The U-156 was subsequently sunk on March 8,1943 with all hands by US aircraft. That John Heller was not 'honorably' discharged from the AVG does not necessarily mean that he performed in a 'dis-honorable' manner. Gen Chennault was adamant though, that anyone who did not complete his/her one year contract, would not be considered as 'honorably' discharged .

Edited by BillC : November 9, 2010, 12:07 am

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
RickWolf, chuckbaisden, Shawn, worldraft, BradSmith, BillC, BenL, Fugari, SilverDollar, Elutzow, Alzha, rjm65, woodward, markeyismarc, StephenLoane

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : John Heller