Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : finding tigers who served with my grandfather hugh mcpheeters a pilot of a B-25 bomber?

Threaded Mode | Print  

finding tigers who served with my grandfather hugh mcpheeters a pilot of a B-25 bomber?, "Hump" in indochina (5 Replies, Read 19987 times)
hughmcpheeters
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
Any living pilots,crewmen,or officers who remember Lt.Colonial Hugh Mcpheeters pilot of a B-25 bomber?
IP: --   

finding tigers who served with my grandfather hugh mcpheeters a pilot of a B-25 bomber?
BillC
Post Group: Elite Member
Sorry, but the veteran you mention was not a member of the AVG. He was, however, a member of the 14th Air Force. He was a member of the 22nd Bomb Squadron of the 341st Bomb Group of the 14th AF. We honor his service.

finding tigers who served with my grandfather hugh mcpheeters a pilot of a B-25 bomber?
hughmcpheeters
Post Group: Newbie
thank you for your research @ reply! I am confused as he had a flying tigers patch,could he have been one of that generation who served in more than one branch?I know he earned the distinguished flying cross as well as other commendations in W.W.II @ korea,please,how would I find more information @ history of fellow servicemen? Thank You;  Sincerely, Hugh McPheeters.

BillC
Without going through the entire creation and history of the AVG, a fairly short answer is that the AVG were the 'original' Flying Tigers. They were the @ 300 volunteers who went to China many months before Pearl Harbor to help defend China against the Japanese. It was they who were 'christened' Flying Tigers. The later groups, the CATF & the 14th AF 'adopted' the Flying Tiger name and variations of a tiger logo. All were commanded by Chennault, which adds to the confusion for many. The overwhelming odds that they faced, along with the lack of equipment and supplies, puts the AVG in a class of their own, given what they accomplished under those conditions, with a fraction of the manpower of those groups that followed after July 4, 1942. Your search will be more fruitful if you look to the 14th Air Force.

Edited by BillC : March 1, 2011, 11:27 pm

SilverDollar
The reason for the confusion about the patch he wore stems from the fact that the tiger was used on the CATF and14th Air Force patches since they were commanded by BGen Chennault who organized the original Flying Tigers (AVG) as Bill mentioned.  The aircraft flown by the AVG were marked with the Nationalist Chinese insignia since the AVG flew for China and not the US.  After the Pearl Harbor attack, the CATF and later the 14th AF took over the operations in China.  The original Flying Tigers were disbanded in July 1942.

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
And......to add to the confusion even more.  The 14th Air Force is the numbered air force with our Space Command.  Therefore, you can watch a massive Titan IV launch with the WWII Flying Tigers logo (14AF) displayed proudly upon the booster rocket:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14th_Air_Force
http://www.vandenberg.af.mil/units/14thairforce.asp

The 14AF is referred to as a "descendant organization" of the American Volunteer Group (ie. the original Flying Tigers).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----
As kin, you should contact the Ntl. Personnel Records Center in St. Louis and
complete the forms for info. about your relative:
      http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/

Please be aware that they had a disastrous fire back in 1973 and many records
were lost....so you may or may not receive anything.  They will send you whatever is available on your relative.
Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : March 2, 2011, 6:25 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee
AVG Flying Tigers Association

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
chuckbaisden, Shawn, TexLonghorn, aaatripp, BradSmith, BillC, mayor, marathondon, BenL, SilverDollar, H_Maraman, tibor, hughmcpheeters, 36tbird, StephenLoane

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : finding tigers who served with my grandfather hugh mcpheeters a pilot of a B-25 bomber?