Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : Middle School Flying Tiger Club

Threaded Mode | Print  

Middle School Flying Tiger Club, Curriculum and Information (10 Replies, Read 20271 times)
SpecialEd
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
I am starting an aviation science, math, information club at a new middle school where I teach that just happens to have the tiger for a mascot. I am a former MAC pilot and would like any suggestions some of you may have for my curriculum and ideas. This is my VERY first post so I am interested in your responses. Special Ed  :??:
IP: --   

Middle School Flying Tiger Club
aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
Here are a few ideas for you:

1.  Contact your local Air Force Assn. chapter and ask them about the national AFA support for STEM programs (science, technology, engineering, math) in K-12.

2.  Study the history of Gen. Claire Lee Chennault, the commander of the American Volunteer Group (AVG)-The Flying Tigers. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chennault>

3.  Study Chennault's famous publication "The Role of Defensive Pursuit" (1935) and compare it with the theories of Col. John Boyd.  Both were very influential in developing successful theories of air combat manuvering (fighter tactics).

4.  Navigate through this Flying Tigers website for many interesting histories and extensive data to aid your students, to ensure that they have access to accurate data.

5.  For your classes there are some excellent videos which are relevant:
    a.  FEI HU (available on this website/memorabilia)
    b.  DOGFIGHTS (a great episode covering The Flying Tigers).
    c.  On the Military Channel is an excellent episode of Secrets of WWII titled
          "They flew for China" which tells the AVG story.

6.  Be advised - the "Flying Tigers" movie starring John Wayne is Hollywood, not
very accurate but can be entertaining.  The others above will give your students
the real story.

7.  Finally, please encourage your students to use this Forum....their questions can be answered by an original, live Flying Tiger....Chuck Baisden, Armorer in the 3rd Sqdn. (Hell's Angels).  You can always count on Chuck to give them the
straight story....no foolin'...!

(an additional note.....you should expose your students to the amazing story of
Gen. James H. Doolittle.....racing pilot in the 30s and holder of many titles, both
masters & doctorate degrees from MIT in aeronautical engineering, first to fly
blind "under the hood" using instruments, worked for Shell Oil in the 30s to develop markets for 100 octane avgas <which was a war winner>, commanded
the strategically crucial mission to bomb Tokyo with B-25s flown from the deck of
the USS Hornet on 18 Apr 45, Medal of Honor recipient, commander of numbered air forces, 1st president of the Air Force Assn., wrote his autobiog. w/
Col. Carroll Glines "I could never be so lucky again")

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : April 9, 2011, 10:13 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee
AVG Flying Tigers Association

BillC
Post Group: Elite Member
First, get a DVD copy of Fei HU from the AVG 'store'. It will provide the officially approved story of the AVG. .....Incidentally, my daughter's high school also has 'Tigers' as their mascot.

SpecialEd
Thanks for the inforamation - I will keep you updated on how thing progress. Regards.

SpecialEd
Incidently - I had the rare privilage to spend the day with General Doolitle when I was flying C-5's out of Dover AFB. I look forward to keeping you updated on how our brand new Junior High School and NEW Flying Tiger Club grow. Still trying to complete all of the buildings before the dedication on May 14th. We have an astronaut as a guest speaker. Anybody in California want to do a fly by in the morning?? Let me know - Sincerely, Ed

aaatripp

The Planes of Fame Air Museum in Chino, CA has a Curtiss-Wright P-40N which is in flying status <www.planesoffame.org>

The museum photo clearly shows that it has the dramatic signature Flying Tigers shark-mouth insignia.

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : April 13, 2011, 12:49 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

SpecialEd
What a great lead - anyone from the planes of fame in Chino what to do a flying tiger fly-by for the new school and tiger mascot on the monring of May 14th? This could be very news worthy for the Tigers. Thanks to all for the information. Sincerely, Ed.  ;-D

aaatripp

OK, here is some specific info. to help you complete your quest!
Tripp
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------
On some of the older aviation features which you can view on the History Channel or the Military Channel you can often see Steve Hinton, president of the Planes of Fame Museum flying & discussing the various aircraft.

Steve Hinton - contact info.
909-393-8403
rateofclimb@hotmail.com

Planes of Fame, Chino Airport
7000 Merrill Avenue, #17
Chino, California 91710
(909) 597-3722

http://www.planesoffame.org/index.php?page=book-heritage-flight< /a>
http://www.moviepilots.com/members/hinton.html

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

SilverDollar
The idea of this club is fantastic.  We need the younger generations to carry on the memory of what the Tigers did and never allow it to fall into oblivion.  I would also check on this site for the right books for your students to read so they get the correct and accurate story.  I wish I could add more info but Tripp has the situation well in hand.  You can't go wrong with his advice. 

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

SpecialEd
Thanks for the all the information - I agree that in additon to the academcis I had in mind for the school club we will definiteley instill in the students not only the memory of what the Tigers did but all those who have served to give our students the freedom they enjoy today. I will keep you posted on how the "Flying Tigers" club grows. The school dedication is still scheduled for the morning of May 14th. Special Ed

SilverDollar
Good luck, Ed.  I'm sure this venture will be a big success. 

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
ForumAdmin, chuckbaisden, Shawn, worldraft, aaatripp, LGP-40, BillC, marathondon, BenL, RLWillett, SilverDollar, SpecialEd, slingshot392, CodyPaul, StephenLoane

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : Middle School Flying Tiger Club