Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : Met with, and going to meet, Randall Richardson

Threaded Mode | Print  

Met with, and going to meet, Randall Richardson, Original Flying Tiger (weatherman) (4 Replies, Read 20213 times)
marine38
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
We at the Pacific Aviation Museum Pearl Harbor, led by our chairman, Admiral Ron Hays, USN Ret, are currently developing an AVG - Flying Tiger exhibit around a P-40 obtained through the generosity of Fred Smith (FedEx).
We recently learned that Randall Richardson (92) is alive and well and living on the Big Island. He had a stroke in January but is seemingly recovering nicely. Our associate curator, Jim Goodall, went to the Big Island and had a fascinating interview with Randall. He is being looked after by his sister, Jean (90). They will be headed back to their ancestral home in Tennessee in Sept. We are intending to go back next month to interview Randall again.
The Navy saw fit to send me, a Marine, to Aerographer's Mate school at Lakehurst back in 1956. While I didn't stay in the weather business, I can still "talk" weather. I hope to get enlightened by Randall about his weather experiences in China, e.g., the network if any, equipment, co-located with Chinese weathermen(?), his interactions with the pilots, etc. I also want to find out (hopefully get a picture) of what Base Ops looked like at Kunming airport.
It would be my pleasure to pass on well wishes from others to Randall when I meet him. By the way, he is EXTREMELY hard of hearing so I'll have to write down all my questions for him in advance.
Semper Fi -
Gary
IP: --   

Met with, and going to meet, Randall Richardson
BillC
Post Group: Elite Member
If your focus is weather, you may have confused Randall Richardson with Rolland "Rich" Richardson. "Rich" Richardson was an AVG weatherman. Randall Richardson was a clerk who chose to leave the AVG prematurely, and not fulfill his contract.

chuckbaisden
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Working Member

:-(  Randall's date of discharge was  2/11/1942. He never completed his contract.

Chuck B.

:-(

marine38
Post Group: Newbie
Thanks for the add. info on Randall Richardson, Chuck. I'm confused though by BillC's comment. Rolland Richardson was a radio operator according to info provided by Daniel Ford. He's passed away. Randall was indeed a weatherguesser according to his 1941 classmate at Lakehurst and Aerographers Mate historian, Don Cruse, who is still among the living. In our initial interview with Randall, he discussed his weather career before joining the Flying Tigers. Something has got cross-threaded here. Thanking you in advance, Chuck.
Semper Fi - Gary

BillC
Post Group: Elite Member
A correction, "Rich" Richardson operated one the communication/radio stations. No doubt he did pass along weather reports from his area. Here's the link to his bio from the roster page. http://www.flyingtigersavg.com/Bio%27s/bio-Richardson.htm

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
chuckbaisden, Shawn, puailihau, aaatripp, BradSmith, BillC, marathondon, BenL, Eileen, RLWillett, SilverDollar, marine38, hwcoulter, markeyismarc, StephenLoane

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : Met with, and going to meet, Randall Richardson