Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : Flying Tigers nurse, Rebecca Chan

Threaded Mode | Print  

Flying Tigers nurse, Rebecca Chan, Rebecca Chan granted honorable discharge from US Army on Jan 17, 2012 (3 Replies, Read 21478 times)
ddlchung
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
My mother, Rebecca Chan (Mrs. Chung) worked as a nurse in both Flying Tigers and the subsequent 14th US Army Air Force in Kunming, China, in 1942-43. She was granted US veteran status (Honorable Discharge) from US Army in a ceremony held in the office of Congresswoman Hochul in Buffalo, NY, on Jan. 17, 2012.  Unfortunately, she passed away on Dec. 7, 2011.  I, her daughter, received the honor in the ceremony.  Now that her DD214 is available, I would like to know if it is possible to have her listed as a member of your organization.  Below are the news links about my mother. 

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/local/congresswoman-gives-long-over due-honor

http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/151023/13/Posthumous-Honor-for- World-War-2-Nurse

http://hochul.house.gov/press-release/congresswoman-hochul-prese nt-posthumous-honorable-discharge-daughter-world-war-ii

My mother's 240-page autobiography "Piloted to Serve" will be published in English in March 2012.  The Chinese version has been published days prior to her death.  Anyone interested in either version is welcome to contact me at ddlchung@163.com.

Deborah Chung
IP: --   

Flying Tigers nurse, Rebecca Chan
aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
Dear Ms. Chung,

Congratulations to your family on the official recognition of your mother's service during WWII and sincere condolences to you all on her recent passing.

It is wonderful that you were able to obtain a DD214 for your mother, as so many records were indeed lost in that terrible 1973 fire at the NPRC in St. Louis (some of my relatives' records were lost in that fire).

Can you please tell us when, where and with what units your mother served?

Thank you & best wishes,
Tripp Alyn

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee
AVG Flying Tigers Association

ddlchung
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
My mother, Rebecca Chan (Mrs. Chung), worked in Kunming from August 1, 1942 to July 1, 1943. She was first working in the Flying Tigers and stayed on when it became US Army (14th US Army Station Hospital).  Throughout the 11 months,  she worked closely with Lt. Col. Dr. Fred Manget.  She was recruited by Col. Dr. Gentry.

Thank you for your interest

Deborah Chung

LydiaRossi
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Elite Member

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
Dear Ms. Chan,

I also offer my congratulations in the honor that was bestowed on your mother by Congresswoman Hochul. It sounds like she was a wonderful person and you have every reason to be proud of her. However, she was never a member of the American Volunteer Group Flying Tigers. As per your own statement, she was hired in August, 1942. The AVG was officially disbanded in July, 1942.

It is quite possible that she was a member of the 14th Air Force. You can check with them and their rosters.
Good luck and thank you for contacting us.

Lydia Rossi

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
Shawn, aaatripp, BillC, LydiaRossi, marathondon, BenL, SilverDollar, annwetherell, ddlchung, RFly2Dive, StephenLoane

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : Flying Tigers nurse, Rebecca Chan