Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : An Antique Uniform For Sale

Threaded Mode | Print  

An Antique Uniform For Sale (12 Replies, Read 17670 times)
SilverDollar
Group: Member
Post Group: Elite Member
Has anyone here seen this?  It's supposedly one of Bob Neale's dress uniforms for the AVG.  It's on sale at Flying Tigers Antiques website.  I don't know if anyone here has the kind of money that can buy this (I know I don't) but at least there are sufficient high quality pictures to get a beautiful idea of how one of the AVG uniforms was laid out.  This is one of the strongest pieces of our heritage I've ever seen.  This should be in a museum rather than a private collection.  All I can say is  WOW.
http://www.flyingtigerantiques.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD& amp;Store_Code=fta&Product_Code=0u61avga20000bnu-CON&Category_Code=02AVG

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.
IP: --   

An Antique Uniform For Sale
aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
Thanks, SD, for spotting this item and for posting it to our AVG Forum.

This is a case where we really need the eye & talent of Richard Peacher in analyzing this online offering of an AVG uniform.

We miss our Friend Richard Peacher.

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, Historian
AVG Flying Tigers Association

SilverDollar
You're definitely right, Tripp.  The uniform supposedly come from a particular collection which the auction house doesn't mention.  They also don't mention the price which is probably somewhere around the cost of a C class Mercedes.  It really needs to be authenticated but by who I don't have a clue. 

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

LydiaRossi

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
I contacted the daughter of Robert Neale, Meg LoDolce, and had her look at the uniform in question. She said it is OK to put her opinion at this forum:

"I am looking through a ton of memorabilia & pics that I have of my dad (Bob Neale) and so far I do not see anything resembling exactly that uniform.  I found an article that The Seattle Times did back on August 23rd, 1942 with a picture of dad in his Flying Tiger uniform, and it does NOT look like any of the pictures that this antique dealer is trying to sell. If you can look up the article which I am referring to you can see that the buttons in the newspaper article line up straight across his chest and in the antique guys jacket they do not."

SilverDollar
It looks like somebody went and bought the uniform as the listing is marked no longer available.  I hope nobody got ripped off. 

-----------------------

BillC
I followed the link to see the uniform. Looks very fake. Too much clean and new. Also, the bright aqua patch on left shoulder looks just like a reproduction commonly seen on ebay. All pictures I recall of Bob Neale show him with the typical 'crush' cap, not the soft/flat cap, which also has a reproduction-new looking badge. Richard's extraordinary expertise is sorely missed on this subject matter. I wonder what became of his personal collection.

LydiaRossi

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
We got the sad news that Richard Peacher died last year sometime. His large WWII collection was sold to a Chinese American, Pedro Chan. I'm told he lives in Hawaii. He will be in China when we travel there this September.

SilverDollar
Quote From : BillC June 25, 2015, 1:16 pm
I followed the link to see the uniform. Looks very fake. Too much clean and new. Also, the bright aqua patch on left shoulder looks just like a reproduction commonly seen on ebay. All pictures I recall of Bob Neale show him with the typical 'crush' cap, not the soft/flat cap, which also has a reproduction-new looking badge. Richard's extraordinary expertise is sorely missed on this subject matter. I wonder what became of his personal collection.

That's unfortunate that the uniform is most likely fake.  I'm really not surprised though since there are so many reproductions out there.  I can deal with reproductions but when dealers try to pass something off as the real thing, it really torques me off.  If the dealer actually thought it was real, then his authentication process is deeply flawed. 

-----------------------

BillC
I'd like to suggest that all of 'Flynpeach's'/Richard Peacher's postings relating to AVG memorabilia be available in one location. His previous replies might prove helpful in identifying current bogus items. He was the most knowledgeable person I knew on the subject.

jpstout
Post Group: Newbie
Hello!  I am a Newbie,but thought this thread might be an appropriate point to introduce myself and say thanks for letting me participate in your site. Born into a USMC family and a collector of WWII PTO squadron patches, martial arms and M1 helmets, I also collect AVG, CATF and 14th AAF when possible. I wanted to redirect this thread with some additional information.

Richard Peacher, diagnosed with a brain tumor, died in August of 2012.  I did not know him personally, but he had quite the AVG memorabilia collection and knowledge that comes with the territory.  The dress uniform under discussion is indeed original and resided in Richard's collection.  It is on Ron Burkey's website as he has been consigned to sell Richards AVG items.  Ron was chosen because he too is an AVG collector, greatly experienced in AVG history and material, and highly ethical. Ron has had many significant items pass through his hands and is looked upon as the go to guy for AVG material for many of us.  Even in the past few years, we have learned more about some of these items that Richard and Pistole did not know as various AVG memorabilia and groupings continue to surface, or in this day of electronic connectivity, are posted on websites. 

My point in commenting is to reassure this website that Ron Burkey and Flying Tiger Antiques is highly reputable and certainly, would provide the Association a valuable resource going forward.

Regards,
j. patrick stout

SilverDollar
Thanks for weighing in Patrick.  If that is Richard Peacher's collection for sure, I'm glad I found the original post at Flying Tiger Antiques.  It's one of the most beautiful pieces I've seen from them. 

-----------------------

aaatripp
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
Thanks, Patrick.  This is great news----thanks for informing us regarding Richard Peacher.  I'm sure that the previously stated sentiments still stand...and double for such a devoted supporter of the AVG legacy.

Thanks, BillC, for your suggestion.  Will assemble Peacher's responses into an easily accessible form for your use on this Forum.

Best wishes,
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, Historian
AVG Flying Tigers Association

jpstout
Post Group: Newbie
Tripp, SilverDollar, you are welcome.

As cool as it would be to have all of the AVG material in a single museum exhibition and research, we all know that will never be the case.  Robert Neale's uniform is certainly an important aviation uniform and worth as a museum piece.  Whether a museum or a private collector will buy it, who knows.  At least we have some very good photos from Ron and  the opportunity to see it, like so many other quality items on his site.  A "virtual" museum.

Recently, a grouping that belonged to John Petach surfaced. And because of Richards collection, and Ron's knowledge, the items could be authenticated.  The man that had them really did not know what he had and very easily could have dispersed them to the 4 winds, or worse.  There remains the possibility that Petach's wings, pin, etc could make it to National Museum. We will see.

As for me, a private collector, I have maybe 75% of the WWII USMC aviation squadron patches, many with provenance and stories.  I hope to compile articles on most to preserve their history and ultimately, dish out select patches to USMC related museums that need them.

regards,
pat

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
Shawn, aaatripp, BillC, LydiaRossi, BenL, TomPandolfi, AlanL, SilverDollar, RonBurkey, CanadaHouse1975, Jmalford, jpstout, kkennedy, Mrwizard00

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : An Antique Uniform For Sale