Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : AVG A-2 JACKET ON E-BAY

Threaded Mode | Print  

AVG A-2 JACKET ON E-BAY, ANOTHER FAKE (6 Replies, Read 17582 times)
markap40
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120926918736?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT& amp;_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649  I am sure this is a fake, but would appreciate a conformation. mark
IP: --   

AVG A-2 JACKET ON E-BAY
SilverDollar
Post Group: Elite Member
Without a name or any paper work, it's pretty difficult to authenticate this jacket.  The first red flag that pops up for me is that most of the AVG jackets were Navy M422 jackets although there were a number of private purchased A2s around.  One thing that may help would be the age of the jacket itself according to the contract number on the label.  If the contract number was issued later than 4 July 42, then the jacket is not an authentic AVG jacket.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find any info on the contract number.  To sum it all up, I still don;t know if it's real or not. 

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

AVG A-2 JACKET ON E-BAY
SilverDollar
I just found some information which might help break this mystery.  The jacket has a Roughwear Clothing Company contract number 535ac27752 which according to my info was the last contract awarded to Roughwear.  During the period 1941 to 1944, Roughwear was awarded at least 4 contracts  They made a lot of these from 42 to 44.  In all likelihood, this jacket was made after July 42, most likely in 1944 making itimpossible for it to be authentic AVG. 

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

AVG A-2 JACKET ON E-BAY
markap40
Post Group: Newbie
Yes agreed, on the contract dates, thank you for your follow up.

AVG A-2 JACKET ON E-BAY
gemiller111
Post Group: Working Newbie
Yeah, first thing I noticed was the "horizontal" blood chit stitiching on the back.  Not sure if the chit was removed or is inside but this shape would correspond to the dual flag US-China blood chit of the later war.  Of course there is also a "normal" blood chit stitching pattern as well- and a few AVG members did stay on in China- but this was the first "not right" clue that I saw.  Next, the size appears to be 48?  Were any of the AVG really this big?  Don't recall any in the photos.  I wear a 44 and almost never see anything my size from WWII.  Most WWII military seem to be in the 34-40 range.  The chest patch appears old but the leather construction is atypical from anything I've seen in the photos.  But the production year analysis that you made, Silver Dollar, would be the clincher that it is not original AVG.  My only question- given there WERE a few AVG members who stayed on, is there any chance this was a post-42 jacket worn by a former AVG member who was therefore entitled to wear an AVG emblem?  Any size 48s among the ground crew who stayed?

AVG A-2 JACKET ON E-BAY
SilverDollar
Thanks G.E.  I did notice the other things you saw but when I saw the contract number, all those other things didn't seem to make a difference.  Like you said, that was the clincher and most damning of all the evidence.  A size 48 usually is for a hefty individual.  It probably wouldn't belong to a pilot.  For a well proportioned individual, he might be too tall to get into a P 40.  R.T. Smith and Tex Hill for example were over 6 feet but neither one of them looked like they'd fit a size 48 in the shoulders.  It would have to be a ground crewman and I don't believe any of them were that big.  There's a chance, although somewhat slim, that the jacket could have been worn by a former AVG member like those that went to CNAC or one who was booted out, but the age of the contract and its lateness would indicate that it wouldn't have been in use during the AVG's operational period which makes it worth much less than the asking price.  Put all the evidence together and I think you have a jacket worn by a civilian at best or put together to fool a buyer at worst. 

-----------------------

AVG A-2 JACKET ON E-BAY
gemiller111
Post Group: Working Newbie
Yes, I agree about the pilots' sizes which is why I mentioned a ground crew.  (Harvey Greenlaw come to mind as the "most robust" AVG member that I recall from pictures but I'd have to do a relook and I don't believe all AVG members appear in known existing pictures.)  It is unfortunate that there is no providence for the jacket- because if it was the post-'42 jacket of a former AVG crew (whether in China or back home in the US) then it would be worth preserving for heritage.  But perhaps there is no providence because such does not exist.  You are probably correct that this is a jacket put together at some time in the past by a civilian (new thought-movie company?) at best.  I would hope it is not a conscious fake but those things happen.

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
ForumAdmin, Shawn, BillC, flynpeach, BenL, SilverDollar, markap40, trickymicky52, gemiller111, a2jacketpatches, AVGShiela, Harley, Mrwizard00

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : AVG A-2 JACKET ON E-BAY