Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Cheng-yi

Threaded Mode | Print  

Cheng-yi, Cheng-yi (4 Replies, Read 5902 times)
Tiger5
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
I have a copy of Pistole's Pictorial with many autographs. I have deciphered them all except one thing: below Robert M. Smith's autograph he has written" BO-2 Cheng Yi". Anybody know what this means?
Thanks
IP: --   

Cheng-yi
aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
Thank you for posting on our AVG Forum.

Robert M. Smith was in AVG communications and he had to climb into the small aft compartment to install the RCA-7-H civilian transceivers in the P-40Bs of the AVG at Kyedaw Airfield, Toungoo, Burma, when they were delivered after CAMCO assembly at Rangoon, Burma.

On what page did Robert M. Smith sign?  Possibly BO-2 Cheng Yi may have been the location of his radio station in Chennault's Chinese Warning Net.

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : March 18, 2016, 10:09 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, Historian
AVG Flying Tigers Association

Cheng-yi
aaatripp

Indeed Chanyi in Yunnan Province was Robert M. Smith's assigned radio station in Chennault's early warning net from Feb-June, 1942.  Chanyi, Smith writes:  "was one of the best in our radio net.  Chanyi was a major Chinese air warning net control station site and one of the most efficient in the system.  There was a good hostel (living quarters), equipped for 200 Americans and operated by the War Area Service Corps, or WASC, the Chinese organization that housed and fed the AVG and later the many thousands of Americans of the Air Force from 1942 through 1945.  Chanyi also had a 5,000 foot gravel runway.  While I (Smith) was stationed there, I was the only American at the field.  Later it was used extensively by the Fourteenth Air Force".

"Claire Lee Chennault developed an extensive radio, telegraph and telephone network that aided our victories over the previousl all-powerful Japanese Air Force.  As a radioman, it was my (Smith) job to work closely with the Chinese air raid warning net and relay information to our net control station and planes in the air."

Chennault's publication from the 30s The Role of Defensive Pusuit was revolutionary in its utilization of fighter aircraft (then known as pursuit planes) to achieve three essentials:  detection, then interception, and finally destruction of incoming bomber formations.

Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee

Edited by aaatripp : March 19, 2016, 7:41 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, Historian

Cheng-yi
Tiger5
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
That's what I thought. Thank you for the confirmation. What is your source for this info? Did Smith write a book?

Cheng-yi
aaatripp

Yes, an excellent source of detailed info & photos on the AVG:

WITH CHENNAULT IN CHINA by Robert M. Smith

Thanks again for your interest in the AVG Flying Tigers!

Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, Historian

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
Shawn, aaatripp, LydiaRossi, BenL, 3AVG@Toungoo, RickDaniel, Texasmatt, Tiger5, lcdanes

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Cheng-yi