Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Hello all.

Threaded Mode | Print  

Hello all., Grandson of a hero. (1 Replies, Read 5464 times)
lcdanes
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
Greetings,
My name is PFC Danes (USMC) and I am the grandson of 2nd Lt. Claude E. Bittle. Navigator for a B24 bomber during WWII in 1945. He was apart of the Flying Tigers and was shot down over China.

The reason for my appearance here is I am looking into his life and service to create a proper memoir/record of his life. If anyone here has any info, records or pictures of my grandfather I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for allowing me here and I look forward to talking with anyone who has info.

Semper Fidelis,
PFC Danes
IP: --   

Hello all.
aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
Hello PFC Danes,

Thank you very much for visiting our AVG Flying Tigers Forum and for your inquiry regarding the heroic & patriotic record of your grandfather while serving with a B-24 crew in the China-Burma-India theater of operations.

There were three successive units which flew shark-mouth P-40s in China during WWII and were under the command of Claire Lee Chennault.  They were:

1.  The American Volunteer Group (known as the Flying Tigers) 1941- 4 Jul 42.
2.  The 23rd Fighter Group/China Air Task Force - 7 Jul 42 to Mar, 1943.
3.  The 14th Air Force - Mar, 1943 to end of WWII

There were no medium or heavy bombers in the AVG (the Flying Tigers).
There were only medium bombers (B-25) in the CATF.

There were B-24 heavy bombers in the 14th Air Force.  It is most likely that your grandfather served with the 14AF sometime after Mar, 1943.  Your best bet is to see if any of the heavy bomb groups & squadrons of the 14AF have websites.  Perhaps some of your grandfather's buddies are still living.

Sorry that we can't help you further at the AVG Flying Tigers Forum.

Best wishes and Semper Fi,
Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, Historian
AVG Flying Tigers Association
IP: --   

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
Shawn, aaatripp, LydiaRossi, BenL, MStratton, Tiger5, lcdanes, mranthonywong

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Hello all.