Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : flying tiger survivor

Threaded Mode | Print  

flying tiger survivor, getting help for a surviving flying tiger (4 Replies, Read 28285 times)
betheangel
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
My father, Thomas B, Angel Jr. was a Flying Tiger who was shot down over China at 19 years old and survived by having people sympathetic to his mission, returned him back across to friendly territory. He is now 88 years old and suffering from major medical problems in a hospital in Florence Kentucky. Now my question.... Does anyone out there know of some help that I can get him to try and get him some quality medical care.
The VA administration in Cinicinnati will not accept him for long term care as "he does not qualify". He only suffered a partial lung damage from ejecting out of his aircraft and was not disabled by that. He is currently on dialysis and cannot live with family members. (I live in Kansas). I would like to apologize to anyone if this is not the correct place to post this request, but I am desperate and cannot understand that the Va would  not take care of one of their own. (They did say he could go to a home located 4 hours away round trip, but they have no beds at this time). THank you in advance for information. I guess my hope is that this man who served his country by risking his life, was treated with a little more dignity and care.
IP: --   

flying tiger survivor
aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
betheangel----

Members of this Forum are always glad to help out when we can, and to get you steered in the right direction to answer your important family historic questions.....and to obtain care for your father.

Time, location & units are the key elements here and, using the data which you provided, here's where we are:  88yrs old now minus 19yrs old at time of incident equals 69yrs ago.....that puts us at 1943.  If your father had the date, or at least month & year that would help to pinpoint the unit.

The AVG (Flying Tigers) were officially disbanded on July 4, 1942 and their mission was taken over by the 23rd Fighter Group of the CATF (China Air Task Force), until the 23FG was merged into the new 14AF (14th Air Force) in March, 1943.  Unless the incident occurred early in '43, most likely your father was serving in the 14AF in the CBI (China-Burma-India Theater of Operations).

From what type of aircraft did your father eject?  Were there any other crew members who were flying in that aircraft?  Did your father actually eject or bail out of the aircraft? (US operational a/c did not have ejection seats until after WWII)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------
Having wartime service in the 14AF of the US Army Air Force should entitle your father to full veterans benefits.  Try contacting the Military Liason Assistant in the office of your local US Congressman....they should be able to help you. 

We are sorry to hear of your father's problems and are grateful for his sacrifices and service to our country.  I hope that this info. is of some help to you in your
efforts to get proper care for your father.

Best wishes,
Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : March 9, 2012, 9:35 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, Historian
AVG Flying Tigers Association

flying tiger survivor
SilverDollar
Post Group: Elite Member
Hey Betheangel.  I'm a retired USAF LtCol and I live in Louisville Kentucky.  Have you tried the Louisville VA yet?  In addition to the Military Liason Assistant in your area, check on the one in his area.  Here is a lost of the Kentucky congressmen I found on Wikipedia.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Representativ es_from_Kentucky Find out what district he is in and contact the corresponding individual.  Here is another link you can try.  Go onto this VA site and scour it thoroughly to see what can be done.  http://veterans.ky.gov  The third one I want you to try is http://www.va.gov/ Just click on these and see if you can find the right individuals and don't give up.  If you run into a road block, let us know right in his thread and I'll see if there's more info I can get you.  In the meantime, I'll do some research myself to see what he would qualify for.  I hope Tripp is right about his wartime service and V.A. eligibility.  Never give up, never surrender.   

Edited by SilverDollar : March 9, 2012, 6:27 pm

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

flying tiger survivor
SilverDollar
Post Group: Elite Member
Betheangel, here is another link.  If you can, contact me by roviate message and I'll try to find some more agencies to go to.  Your father may not have been an original member of the AVG but he's definitely been a member of the USAAF which gave birth to the USAF of which I was a member.  He's one of my brothers in arms even though our tours were at different times in different wars.  We try our best to take care of our own.  As far as I'm concerned, he deserves those benefits.  I hope these efforts help somewhat.    Edit.  Here's another pathway to try. http://vetpension.com/

Edited by SilverDollar : March 9, 2012, 6:25 pm

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

flying tiger survivor
aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
Hello betheangel,

Another key item is your father's DD-214 which will have much key info. about his service, assignments & locations.  It's known as his discharge papers.  If he can't find his DD-214 he can request a copy from the NPRC (Ntl. Personnel Records Center), or you can do it for him.

Forms and instrs. are avail. online at their website:
    http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/
    http://www.archives.gov/veterans/

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : March 11, 2012, 11:37 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, Historian
AVG Flying Tigers Association

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
ForumAdmin, Shawn, worldraft, aaatripp, BradSmith, BillC, 3AVG@Toungoo, SilverDollar, hc8mm, tibor, trickymicky52, gemiller111, betheangel, Miha, StephenLoane, kkennedy, Tiger5

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : flying tiger survivor