Flying Tigers AVG Board

Topic : Gregg or Turk a Flying Tiger

Posted By: ksiemb on September 27, 2016, 7:04 am
North Olmsted, Cleveland, Ohio: I once had a neighbor who always wore a WWII Leather Pilot's jacket with lots of patches , and recall him talking of the Flying Tigers. I do not know his last name, unfortunately, but his first name was Greg, or Gregg, and his nickname was "Turk". One of his traits was that he was one of the foulest talking persons I have ever met ! After the War, he retired as a Boiler Maker.  Any way to track this limited info back to the Squadron Rosters ?

Posted By: Lincoln on September 27, 2016, 5:24 pm | Post: 1
I work for a Cargill Salt Plant in St. Clair, MI, been to North Olmstedt twice visiting Cargill De-Icing Technology sites. 

I can find no reference to a "Gregg."  The only Greg I know of was Gregory Boyington who would have been "Rats" with the AVG (After an Actor named Ratoff) whom he supposedly resembled.

From the home page there are links to the AVG Rosters, I didn't find him there either, this doesn't mean he wasn't there.  A number of people signed up and left early and did not complete their service, I think they are not carried on the roster.

Posted By: LydiaRossi on September 28, 2016, 6:49 pm | Post: 2
Actually we do have a complete list at our website, even those who left early, did not complete their contract, or were kicked out by Chennault. You can check the list at this link:
http://www.flyingtigersavg.com/index.php/rosters-of-the-avg/63-complete-roster-of-the-flying-tigers-avg
Those with ** by their name were one of the above.

Posted By: ksiemb on September 30, 2016, 6:37 am | Post: 3
Lincoln & Lydiarossi: Thank you both for info on the Roster.

Posted By: aaatripp on September 30, 2016, 10:40 am | Post: 4
To add to what Lydia has posted here......yes, our posted roster at that link is the complete roster.  The very first two to leave the AVG "jumped ship" in Singapore and never made it to the Port of Rangoon, Burma (they are Durbin & Dyson).  There were interesting "lists" and reports submitted by Chennault back to the States to report those who "left early".  In some cases Chennault even considered this departure desertion during wartime.....

It is indeed true that some joined the AVG to get out of the military.

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, Historian
AVG Flying Tigers Association

Posted By: mayor on February 22, 2017, 9:51 pm | Post: 5
Tripp, I would imagine that those folks got weeded out pretty early.