Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : Murray Salkin

Threaded Mode | Print  

Murray Salkin, airman (3 Replies, Read 15092 times)
sheilarothenberg
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
Hi,  I'm trying to find the wartime story of my cousin, Murray Salkin.

I was seven years old in 1944 when Murray received a medical discharge.  The family story is that he was the first Flying Tiger to be blinded in the war.  He was brought back to the States, and then trained to work with a Seeing Eye Dog.

My aunt, my mother, and I drove Murray from New York to his home in Baltimore.  As a child I was amazed at what Murray could do without sight, and it made a lasting impression on me.

I cannot find my cousin's name on this website.  Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Sheila
IP: --   

Murray Salkin
ForumAdmin
Group: Administrator
Post Group: Working Newbie

Sheila,
Murray Salkin was not a member of the American Volunteer Group (AVG) Flying Tigers who were part of the Chinese Air Force in 1941-42.

Your cousin probably was in the 14th Air Force and you could contact Elmer Bukey through his link on his website:
http://community-2.webtv.net/cbivet/ATRIBUTETOTHE14th

Good luck with your search.
Jo

Murray Salkin
radioguy68
Dear Sheila,

My name is Michael Henry and I am with the Library of American Broadcasting, a research library at the University of Maryland devoted to the history of radio and television broadcasting. One of our collections documents a radio show called Vox Pop, which during World War II, traveled to military bases and hospitals interviewing servicemen and women. On March 15, 1943, the program broadcast from Walter Reed Hospital  and your cousin was one I saw your post regarding your cousin Murray Salkin, who  was one of the servicemen interviewed. His mother was also on the program with him. He gave very inspiring testimony about the loss of his sight and looking forward to "new worlds to conquer".

Have you heard this broadcast or know anything about it? I'll be happy to send you a copy of the broadcast. I'll also send you a copy of a letter he sent to the hosts a few days after the broadcast thanking them for having him. You can reach me by e-mail at: mlhenry@umd.edu or phone at (301) 314-0397

-Michael Henry

Murray Salkin
mkjrich
Murray Salkin was my uncle.  All of the information in the post was correct except that Murray was not a Flying Tiger but instead he was a (originaiRanger.  Murray also appeared, at least twice,  on the Louella Paron's show.  I have a Baltimore Feb. 7. 1944 discussing those appearances.  If you'd like  copy please let me know.  Othewise, I would like a copy of the tape that you have.

Thanks'

Mark Richelson

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
ForumAdmin, chuckbaisden, Shawn, worldraft, BradSmith, BillC, BenL, sheilarothenberg, thewoo1, SilverDollar, cpotters, mkjrich, CarlLehmann, radioguy68, hawkadoodle, StephenLoane

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : Murray Salkin