Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : Looking for a pilot in Louisiana

Threaded Mode | Print  

Looking for a pilot in Louisiana (5 Replies, Read 12000 times)
grey1030
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
About a year ago I met a Flying Tiger pilot at a hospital in Shreveport, LA.  I cannot remember his name and the gentleman who introduced us does not remember it either.  He was very tall and thin and wore a "bomber" jacket.  He said he flew the P-40 and P- 51 but had to fly bombers when the group disbanded and he joined the AAC.  Said the AAC told him he was too tall to fly fighters.  I really really would like to meet up with him again and introduce my son to him.  If anyone has any idea who this is please help. 
Thank you
J. Crosby MD
IP: --   

Looking for a pilot in Louisiana
LydiaRossi
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Elite Member

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
Very hard to pinpoint the man you describe. I don't know of any AVG member in Shreveport.
Hard to imagine someone taller than Tex Hill (6'2") who flew many types of fighters throught WWII.

grey1030
thanks for the reply.  This gentleman had to be taller than 6'2".  He may not have been, but it sure seemed that way.  I had a nice discussion over email with a moderator on the board and he said there are only 4 AVG pilots still alive and none live in my area.  We believe that this gentleman I met probably flew with the "Flying Tiger" unit that came after the AVG unit. 

Regardless, I wish for the life of me that I could meet this gentleman again and talk with him and introduce my son to him.

Thanks again
John

grey1030
Does Tex Hill live in the Shreveport, LA area?  If so, I'd love to meet him.

John

LydiaRossi
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Elite Member

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
Tex Hill lived in San Antonio Texas. He passed on 10/07at the age of 92.

grey1030
I'm sorry to hear that.  Thank you for responding to my post.  I'm trying to introduce my son to as many WWII vets as I can.  He loves the history as much as I do and I think it important that he actually meet them.  He's met a C-47 pilot from WWII as well as a USS Arizona survivor.

Thank you again
John

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
ForumAdmin, chuckbaisden, Shawn, puailihau, FrankPatton, BradSmith, BillC, LydiaRossi, grey1030, SilverDollar, H_Maraman, avgvet, k-owens, gemiller111, StephenLoane

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : Looking for a pilot in Louisiana