Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : finding out more information on flying tigers

Threaded Mode | Print  

finding out more information on flying tigers, my great uncle was a flying tiger, he will be 94 yrs old on may 9th, yeah (6 Replies, Read 22330 times)
pammy
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
how can i found out more information on my great uncle ellsworth he was born in 1916, and was he in any of those picture. please help me found out more about my uncle he is such a great person, and i would like to put a little book together for him ,before august2010 , we have a family reunion then, and does anyone that was with the flying tigers back in the war live here in state of washington , i would like to here some stories please :angel:  have a wonderful day.                                          thank you pammy
IP: --   

finding out more information on flying tigers
JohnnyJin
I am so glad to hear this even if it is kind of late for August. I am a Chinese American living in Puyallup, Washington wishing to know more about Flyng Tiger Heroes,too. I work with the new Chinese government project on the Hump mission. Would you mind telling me the full name of your great uncle and place to live in/near Washington? I would like to check the limited literature I have from the Chinese archives, and would very much like to visit you and your great uncle if he is still with us now. Is that possible?
Plse contact me any time before 26th of this month. After that I will be in Beijing possibly reporting this story and trip to my head if more of info is found.
Phone: 253-205-8049
Email: zxjin2001@yahoo.cn
Thanks ahead of time
Johnny Jin

SilverDollar
Post Group: Elite Member
We definitely need his full name to check it against the AVG roster to determine what part he played in that theater.  Good luck with your search. 

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

BillC
Unless he was one of those Army, Navy, or Marine Corp members that volunteered to join the Chinese Air Force in mid 1941, he was likely in one of the later units, also commanded by Chennault. The China Air Task Force, and the 14th Air Force followed the "original" Flying Tigers, correctly referred to as The American Volunteer Group. If he was in the AVG, his name will be found in the unit roster section.

sdechaene
my father was a commander of a base in India and my godfather was Ed Rector.  I attended the 50th anniversary celebration with him in Washington.  Both Ed and my father have flown to higher grounds and I'm looking for earthly connections to hear more stories of this historic time.

JohnnyJin
I'd help check if there is more info on Chinese archives.

BillC
Quote From : sdechaene September 25, 2010, 5:54 am
my father was a commander of a base in India and my godfather was Ed Rector.  I attended the 50th anniversary celebration with him in Washington.  Both Ed and my father have flown to higher grounds and I'm looking for earthly connections to hear more stories of this historic time.
Here's a link to Ed Rector's listing at Arlington Cemetery. http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/efrector.htm  Unfortunately, there is not a picture of his marker. I visited his grave a few weeks after his passing, but only the temporary marker was in place at the time. As a kid, Ed and Tex Hill were the face of the AVG to me. My first Tiger book was by John Toland, from the Landmark series for young people, where they were prominently featured. Over the many years, it has been read countless times.

Edited by BillC : September 27, 2010, 5:00 pm

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
ForumAdmin, chuckbaisden, Shawn, TexLonghorn, worldraft, dlmitx81, aaatripp, BradSmith, BillC, LydiaRossi, marathondon, Charybdis, Bartelt, susan_jimison, SilverDollar, jenholik, pammy, msteenstra, cutman1968, hc8mm, avgvet, JohnnyJin, sdechaene, zhangxiandong, hawkadoodle, k-owens, rjm65, StephenLoane

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : finding out more information on flying tigers