Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : tex hill markings

Threaded Mode | Print  

tex hill markings (6 Replies, Read 14534 times)
carlton
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
  I just got a model of Tex Hill's P40B, #48.  Was there a time when his aircraft did not have the Panda Bears insignia and the Disney tiger with wings? 
IP: --   

tex hill markings
SilverDollar
Post Group: Elite Member
Hey Carlton.  From what I've seen on the net and in the books I have, the most common depiction of #48 had the usual camo paint, a blue band around the tail to the rear of the white #48 and a black and white panda pretty much under the rear most clear panel behind the cockpit.  The only other thing I found was the kill flags in the usual place.  The number of kill flags are dependent on when those kills were made, i.e. the later the plane, the more kill flags.  The Disney tiger jumping in the V wasn't put on any of the planes until early in 1942.  I think it was in March when the decal came out. 

What size model did you get and who was the manufacturer.  I'm also a model builder but I'm planning to make a diorama of 3 P40s--2 B's and one E out in the field.  It will be done in 1/32 scale so I can really add some good weathering and some fine micro details.  If you can get a few pictures of the model when you complete it, I'd love to see them.  I don't know what skill level you are but if you need help, let me know.  If you have a high level then I'd love to learn from you.  I belong to a website called www.largescaleplanes.com .  The members on that site are some of the best aircraft modellers in the world.  you can get many good ideas there.  Hope this helps.            BTW, if I've made any booboos here, somebody please correct me.  I'm not an AVG expert yet.

Edited by SilverDollar : October 1, 2010, 8:57 am

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

tex hill markings
BillC
The P-40s arrived, and were assembled without those markings, only the camo paint. Bert Christman, before his death, did the Panda artwork. Each was customized to the pilot. Tex's was in cowboy gear. Jack Newkirk's was in top hat and tails. John Petach's was riding a bicycle.

Edited by BillC : October 3, 2010, 10:05 am

tex hill markings
SilverDollar
Thanks Bill.  That's the kind of info I need myself.  I knew that the P 40s came with the camo but I had no idea when they put on the squadron insig.  I did read in Larry Pistole's book that the big Disney tiger was actually a big decal of some type.  I remember seeing a red suitcase with one of the decals on it in the book too.  I believe it belonged to Ed Fobes.  Like I said, I'll be building three P40s but I have no idea shat squadron I'm going to depict until I do some more reading and research. 

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

tex hill markings
BillC
That red suitcase belonged to Ed Fobes, Headquarters clerk. Several of his items are in that color section. There is more information about Bert Christman's artwork, and the different 'Pandas' that are depicted. I've re-read all my AVG books over the past six months and I just don't recall if it's to be found in just one of the books, or mentioned in several....A softcover book by Terrill Clements, "American Volunteer Group Colours and Markings" has a number of examples from the three squadrons. Superscale has a 1/48 decal set for Tex Hill's plane. Eagle Cal has a 1/48 set of #s 44 P. Wright), 47(Petach), 49 (Swartz), and 52 (Shilling/Martin),  also a 1/32 set for Hill and Petach, another 1/32 set for Dick Rossi and Boyington. Cutting Edge has a 1/32 set for Tommy Haywood and R.T. Smith. Aeromaster has a terrific 1/48 set of ten AVG planes along with a comprehensive softcover book.VERY accurate. Each sharkmouth is unique, as they were in real life. Hard to find, sometimes it's on e-bay. Around $25-30. That's where I got mine several years ago.

Edited by BillC : October 3, 2010, 10:41 am

tex hill markings
SilverDollar
Thanks Bill for the 1/32 scale leads.  I definitely tried to order one of the 1/32 scale decal sets from my local hobby shop.  Apparently, the 1/48 scale sets are still in production but the shop owner told me they stopped making the bigger decals.  I'll probably be masking and spraying my own.  Nertz.

I still don't know what squadron I'll do.  I wanted to portray some of the planes in a dio that haven't been done to death.  They're great planes flown by some of the best tigers but every kit out there has the same markings.  My dio will also have a surprise element in it. 

Edited by SilverDollar : October 3, 2010, 12:15 pm

-----------------------

tex hill markings
BenL
Post Group: Newbie
Tex Hill totaled his aircraft on Dec. 10, 1941 and more than likely did not have any markings other than the sharkmouth, check page 116 in Tex Hill\'s book. Bert Christman got around to painting very few Pandas on the P-40s before he was killed. He may have gotten around to Tex\'s P-40 as they were good friends but there is just no photographic proof. The best source so far for AVG markings is Clements\' book as mentioned earlier.

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
chuckbaisden, Shawn, worldraft, aaatripp, BradSmith, BillC, BenL, Bartelt, jacktfpike, SilverDollar, carlton, jfhudak, hawkadoodle, Corman, tibor, L'Artista, bbischoff64, StephenLoane

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : tex hill markings