Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : info on Jess Carney

Threaded Mode | Print  

info on Jess Carney (7 Replies, Read 31788 times)
throck3
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
Am looking for any rosters or other records containing the name of pilot, Jess Carney (possibly Kearney).  I have found from contact with three AVG members, including Gen. Hill, that Carney (along with two other new pilots) came into the AVG in the final weeks of the AVG and was assigend to Ed Rector's squadron, continuing on with the 76th FS.  Carney became a friend of my family in Okla after the war and is known to have died in a VA hospital in eastern Okla.  As said, I have found personal recollections of AVG members of this man (apparently he was quite a character), but am seeking documention of his service.  Any help would be appreciated.  Like all of them, I would hate to see the knowledge of his service just slip away unnoticed.
Thanks,
Rick Throckmorton/throck3
IP: --   

info on Jess Carney
ForumAdmin
Group: Administrator
Post Group: Working Newbie

Although Jesse Carney and others (including Robert L. Scott) of the 23rd FG flew a few flights with the AVG prior to its disbandment, they were never considered part of the AVG.

Carney is mentioned briefly in Carl Molesworth's book about the 23rd,  Sharks Over China.

info on Jess Carney
throck3
Thanks for the quick response and information.  Is there a reason why they are not considered to be part of the AVG?  They did fly missions with them.  I suspect their brief time with them may be why.
As information, Carney became very good friends with my uncle who had completed 35 combat missions over Europe, and spent a lot of time with my mother's family after the war.  Carney was fond of my mother, who was around 12 yoa at the time, and gave her his flying scarf, which I still have. 
I will find Mr. Molesworth's book and see what is written about Carney there.
Again, thanks for the information.  Are there any sources you can recommend to find unit rosters and mission reports in which Carney might be listed?
Regards,
Rick T.

info on Jess Carney
ForumAdmin
Group: Administrator
Post Group: Working Newbie
Ahh....I guess "considered" was a poor choice of words on my part.

The flights Carney and others flew were a necessary orientation (no pun intended) to ease the transition when the AVG was disbanded.  It didn't make those newcomers AVG members any more than volunteering for an extra two weeks after July 4th made some AVG members part of the 23rd FG.

To find more specifics on rosters and missions, I probably would start with Elmer Bukey who can be contacted via his website
http://community-2.webtv.net/cbivet/ATRIBUTETOTHE14th
If he doesn't have what you are looking for, I'm sure he can point you in the right direction. 

info on Jess Carney
katherinecarney
Hi,  I am Jesse Carney's granddaughter. I never met him as he was estranged from my father (his son) and died many years before I was born. I am 25. His son's name was Robert Daniel Carney and his wife (my grandmother) was Betty Tolle. Betty and Jesse grew up together in Jay, Oklahoma, where my father was born. I have many newspaper clippings from when he was shot down in korea and was taken in by some farmers where his plane crashed and they dressed him in civilian clothes to help him cross enemy lines. I would appreciate any information about him.

info on Jess Carney
klavalley
I am Jesse's great niece on my mother's side.  I have recently been given some of Jesse's war medals and would like to know if you would like them, Katherine.  I have not had any luck finding you anywhere but here.  Please let me know.  If you're not interested, we will donate them to the museum in Salina, OK where he lived in later years.  Thanks

Edited by klavalley : September 10, 2013, 9:17 pm

info on Jess Carney
mickelman
The story of Vaden J. Carney Jr and other early members of the 23rd Fighter Group is well told by one of them, James Dumas, in Longburst and the Flying Tigers from Scrub Jay Press, Tollhouse, CA (2004). Of the AVG he wrote (p.94):

"I considered it to be an honor and a privilege to be attached to their organization for training purposes. As a second lieutenant in the Army Air Corps, I may have been a little intimidated by them. How could I possibly live up to their record?"

- Dan Ford

info on Jess Carney
aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
This quote from James Dumas is a great way to sum up and properly portray the record, reputation and legends of the Flying Tigers (AVG) with those many aviators, units and organizations which came after them.....and still carry their rich legacy:

"I considered it to be an honor and a privilege to be attached to their
organization for training purposes. As a second lieutenant in the Army
Air Corps, I may have been a little intimidated by them. How could I
possibly live up to their record?"

What a thoughtful, respectful and humble but eloquent way of expressing the feelings for being associated with the Flying Tigers.

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee
Flying Tigers Association

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, Historian
AVG Flying Tigers Association

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
ForumAdmin, robertm, chuckbaisden, Shawn, puailihau, FrankPatton, worldraft, aaatripp, BradSmith, BillC, mayor, LydiaRossi, BenL, hofjr, throck3, jacktfpike, katherinecarney, thewoo1, jenholik, msteenstra, avgvet, mickelman, klavalley, StephenLoane, kkennedy, Michael_Adams, JohnAndoe

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : info on Jess Carney