Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Personal Items of C.W. Sawyer former flight leader - Auction of squadron flag, jacket, medals

Threaded Mode | Print  

Personal Items of C.W. Sawyer former flight leader - Auction of squadron flag, jacket, medals, Estate auction of Col. C.W. Sawyer former AVG Flying Tiger Flight Leader (30 Replies, Read 51381 times)
spudseller
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
For all the collectors out there, we have been asked to sell items formerly owned by the late Col. C.W. Sawyer former AVG Flight Leader by public auction.  A silk squadron flag, flight jacket with Flying Tigers emblem, medals, and one group of items in his pilot kit of letters, his B52 test, his personal invitation to the 1957 presidential inauguration and more.  So if you are interested, see the link for bidding or give me a call, we are in Meridian, Idaho if you are up for a trip just to see and or bid on the historical items.  bidding link to proxibid:  https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=52966 and or see who we are at:  www.corbettauctions.com

Edited by spudseller : May 24, 2012, 1:07 am
IP: --   

Personal Items of C.W. Sawyer former flight leader - Auction of squadron flag, jacket, medals
LydiaRossi
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Elite Member

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
Nice collection. The family isn't interested in having these items donated to a museum where they could be displayed for the world to see for years to come? I think Chuck would have preferred to have these items somewhere his great grandchildren can point to with pride instead of in a private collection where no one gets to see them. Just my opinion.
They can get a tax deduction.

Personal Items of C.W. Sawyer former flight leader - Auction of squadron flag, jacket, medals
gemiller111
Post Group: Working Newbie
Yes, I would agree, Lydia.  But since the family apparently already made its decision, I will try to bid on some things so that I can let them be displayed at the Chennault Museum.  I am guessing these will go past what I can afford, however, so their final home may be someone's personal collection. Guy

spudseller
Yes, the trustee of the estate is acting according to the will...so hopefully whoever gets the items will have a public location to display

Tigerson
I am Col. Charles Wesley Sawyer's son, Charles Robert Sawyer, and want to let you and his other AVG friends know that I and the rest of his family are fighting to stop the auction of my father's personal effects with legal action, or failing that, win them all at the auction on June 2.

Corbett Auctions made a negligent misstatement when it said the following in its posting  "...we have been asked by the trustee of the estate of Col. C.W. Sawyer former AVG Flight Leader..."  Corbett Auctions is acting on behalf of the State of Idaho.  The State is striving to recoup some of the costs it incurred caring for my father's second wife, Edith, who died recently, an indigent ward of the state.  Per my father's will, Edith received all his financial assets, real estate and personal belongings when he died on May 8, 1978.  She dissipated all this, except the invaluable items that are going up for auction June 2.

If our legal action fails, Chuck's youngest brother, my uncle, Larry Sawyer, will be at the auction site in Kuna, Idaho, himself--with his checkbook  I will participate via the Internet.  Please be assured that the Sawyer family has gone to battle stations, a term I use because I am a Navy Veteran, who served in the Tonkin Gulf.

When I was growing up, my father told me that his flight jacket, and other items that memorialize his extraordinary courage and career in aviation would be mine after his death.  He instructed Edith to make sure I received these invaluable items when she died.  She did not fulfill my father's wishes. 

I have three children who treasure their grandfather's memory.  They have three young children of their own (Chuck's great-grandchildren), and they and I want them and their own decedents to share Chuck's exceptional legacy.

If you knew my father or know of him, I am certain you would not think his family would part with what he earned, himself, by putting his life on the line without a fight of our own worthy of his memory.

LydiaRossi
Group: Moderator

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
Dear Charles,
Thanks so much for all the information. Sorry to learn that Chuck's Flying Tiger treasures were lost to the state through misshandling by his second wife. I hope you are successful in winning them all back. If items such as these are not being displayed in a museum, then I think the next best place is in the hands of the relatives who hold them in very high regard. Things to be lovingly passed down through the generations.
Lydia

spudseller
Quote From : Tigerson May 23, 2012, 1:14 pm
I am Col. Charles Wesley Sawyer's son, Charles Robert Sawyer, and want to let you and his other AVG friends know that I and the rest of his family are fighting to stop the auction of my father's personal effects with legal action, or failing that, win them all at the auction on June 2.

Corbett Auctions made a negligent misstatement when it said the following in its posting  "...we have been asked by the trustee of the estate of Col. C.W. Sawyer former AVG Flight Leader..."  Corbett Auctions is acting on behalf of the State of Idaho.  The State is striving to recoup some of the costs it incurred caring for my father's second wife, Edith, who died recently, an indigent ward of the state.  Per my father's will, Edith received all his financial assets, real estate and personal belongings when he died on May 8, 1978.  She dissipated all this, except the invaluable items that are going up for auction June 2.

If our legal action fails, Chuck's youngest brother, my uncle, Larry Sawyer, will be at the auction site in Kuna, Idaho, himself--with his checkbook  I will participate via the Internet.  Please be assured that the Sawyer family has gone to battle stations, a term I use because I am a Navy Veteran, who served in the Tonkin Gulf.

When I was growing up, my father told me that his flight jacket, and other items that memorialize his extraordinary courage and career in aviation would be mine after his death.  He instructed Edith to make sure I received these invaluable items when she died.  She did not fulfill my father's wishes. 

I have three children who treasure their grandfather's memory.  They have three young children of their own (Chuck's great-grandchildren), and they and I want them and their own decedents to share Chuck's exceptional legacy.

If you knew my father or know of him, I am certain you would not think his family would part with what he earned, himself, by putting his life on the line without a fight of our own worthy of his memory.

Edited by spudseller : May 24, 2012, 1:45 am

spudseller
[

Tigerson
Spudseller, which is Corbett Auctions, has deleted its misstatement that Corbett Auctions was asked by the estate of my father, Charles Wesley Sawyer, Col., USAF Retired.  They now correctly state that the items they are advertising were his possessions.

SilverDollar
If they were his outright, then he has the right to do whatever he wants.  I stand corrected and apologize for my earlier comment which seems to be gone.  No problem. 

Edited by SilverDollar : May 24, 2012, 4:49 pm

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

Tigerson
SilverDollar,

Since I missed your earlier post, your latest post isn't clear to me.

Per my father's will, the ownership of the items that will be auctioned on 2 June 2012 passed to his second wife, Edith, upon his death on 8 May 1978.  Edith wrote a will in June 1978 that designated her sister as sole heir.  Edith became an indigent ward of the State of Idaho.  She died recently.  Now the State, not Edith's sister, has control of the estate and has directed that my father's Flying Tiger flight jacket, etc. be auctioned off.  Proceeds from the sale of the jacket, etc. will go to the State of Idaho.  If the sale proceeds net of the auctioneers commission exceed what the State spent to care for Edith, that surplus will go to her estate, which has other debts to pay.

Tigerson
This is a reply to SpudSellers post saying that the sale is according to "the will" and hoping the items will go on "public display".

Nonsense.  The sale is not according to my father's will as SpudSeller implies.  My father's will was probated and his estate terminated 34 years ago.  The sale is not according to the will of my father's recently-deceased second wife, Edith, either.  She bequeathed all her belongings to her sister.  These belonging include the Flying Tiger relics that will be sold by SpudSeller at auction in a week on 2 June.

The sale is according to the directive of the State of Idaho, which is the largest creditor of Edith's estate, and consequently, now controls her estate.  The State's only interest is in recouping as much of what it spent to care for Edith after she became an indigent ward of the State as it can.

Of course, SpudSeller's-- who is Corbett Auctions--only interest is in hyping interest in his auction so his commissions will go up as the sale price of the Flying Tiger relics go up.

gemiller111
Post Group: Working Newbie
This sounds like one of those cases where national public exposure would encourage the State to back off and take a more honorable approach.  Just think of the outrage people would have on Memorial Day weekend- a time to remember and honor those who fought for our freedoms- when finding out that a government body has grabbed the heritage of one of the country's most distinguished warriors away from his family, and only has the concern of using this hero's possessions to put a few bucks in the State coffers- money that won't make a dent in the State budget- while depriving the family of revered possessions that rightfully should be entrusted to their care.

Tigerson
Gemiller111,

My father has a brother and sister-in-law (my uncle and aunt) still living in Idaho near where the auction will be held.  They are as angry as I am and are telling anyone who'll listen about the outrageous exploitation of my father's Flying Tiger relics for nothing but repayment of a debt his second wife incurred to the State of Idaho.  My uncle will be at the auction, himself, bidding to keep the relics in the family or to donate to a museum.

Tigerson
Gemiller111, I forgot to mention I'm using Twitter to get the word out.  If Twitter can help the Arab Spring bloom, I hope it can help us keep priceless American relics from being lost, ironically, to the highest bidder.

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
ForumAdmin, robertm, RickWolf, Shawn, aaatripp, BradSmith, BillC, flynpeach, LydiaRossi, BenL, jbvo, SilverDollar, trickymicky52, gemiller111, CodyPaul, Miha, spudseller, Tigerson, patregis, myheroes, Tiger5

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Personal Items of C.W. Sawyer former flight leader - Auction of squadron flag, jacket, medals