Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : 3 Tigers Found!! 3 AVG in Toungoo could be coming Home!

Threaded Mode | Print  

3 Tigers Found!! 3 AVG in Toungoo could be coming Home!, AVG remains from 1941 Toungoo may have been located (133 Replies, Read 1111032 times)
aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
The Flying Tigers Association is pleased to announce:

that the documents recently discovered through exhaustive research by a dedicated JPAC staff member have yielded a strong indication that remains examined and catalogued in reports in 1948 are most likely AVG members Armstrong, Hammer & Atkinson who died in flying accidents in the fall of 1941 while the AVG was training to defend the Burma Road against the Japanese.  There is a fourth set of remains and we are working to determine if there were any other fatalities in Toungoo before the AVG was withdrawn in advance of the invading Imperial Japanese Army.

More details will be forthcoming as they are comfirmed.  We are indeed hopeful that more of our Tigers may be coming Home at last!

Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee
Flying Tigers Association

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
AVG Flying Tigers Association
IP: --   

4 Tigers Found!! 3 AVG in Toungoo could be coming Home!
BillC
Group: Member
Post Group: Elite Member
At long last! Fingers crossed.

PetesNephew
Post Group: Newbie
Pete Atkinson's nephew here.  This is truly "out of the wild blue" news, and very welcome indeed.  How 65 years had to pass for the cemetery bureaucracy to "find" these guys is beyond me, but that's how things work I guess.  They've been buried at Punchbowl in Hawaii since 1948, and ironically enough my dad and I went there in 1990 to look for his brother and we had no luck at all.
Anyway, they've taken a DNA swab from my Aunt Mary, who is the last surviving sibling of Pete Atkinson, and now we just wait with fingers crossed.

Thanks for keeping the memory of these guys alive.

Jim Atkinson

LydiaRossi

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
This is such welcome news. After all these years to find them in US soil. Happy for the families at last!

3AVG@Toungoo

Niece of John D. Armstrong
The family of John Dean Armstrong is so excited at this possibility. My cousin, Karen Beauprie and I have been searching for information including the location of the graves since 2005. Our initial goal was to find information about the Distinguished Flying Cross which was awarded posthumously.  Through the FT Association we learned it was in safekeeping and it was received on behalf of our grandparents, Guy and Margaret Armstrong of Hutchinson, Kansas who never recovered the remains of their only son.  Thank you Lydia.  Our next goal has been an exhaustive search for information about the location of my uncle's grave.  Learning that there were two others killed in training accidents and buried in the same cemetery started a connection among the families of John Armstrong, Maax Hammer and Pete Atkinson.  My cousin and I have never given up; convincing JPAC to accept our case based on the fact that even though they were civilians when they died, they were Naval and Army pilots respectively who were left behind after Pearl Harbor and not recovered.  Hoping so much for resolution and will appreciate the efforts of the FT Association when the time comes to convince JPAC we believe these remains are our relatives.  If they are not, well then, they belong to someone who has also been waiting.

-----------------------
Lynn Evans

TigerNephew
Regarding Peter William Atkinson.
Peter is the brother of my mother, the late Theresa Atkinson, U.S. Army Nurse.
My wife and I went to the grave sites at Punchbowl National Cemetery with the Investigator Ken. His team has been working real hard on this. Ken located the exact three makers labeled UNKNOWN that are highly suspected to be the three missing members of the AVG. There are more than one thousand similar grave markers. The investigation may continue for several months is what we heard. Big Respect to the dedicated JPAC staff.
"It's easy to keep focused when you have the memory of 3 AVG heroes looking
over your shoulder!" is the message attached to this photo of Investigator Ken.
Aloha, Patrick

mayor
Post Group: Working Member

If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong
Just out of curiosity, weren't any AVG members that died in Burma or China, buried right there or were they disinterred after the AVG was disbanded and sent back to the states (or Pearl)?

aaatripp

This is a great question, mayor....thanks for bringing up this timely question in light of the possible discovery of the AVG who were buried in Toungoo, Burma.  With the rigors of wartime (enemy bombing, invasion by the Imperial Japanese Army, etc.) retrieval of remains was problematic.

We are tracking 23 AVG who were lost in the CBI theater up to and including the 2 weeks after their July 4, 1942 disbandment.  Several were lost later with either the 23FG/CATF or the 14AF.  The AVG losses were:

9 - flying/training accidents (Armstrong, Hammer, Atkinson, Baugh,
            Mangleburg, Sandell, Merritt, Jones, Blackburn)

10 - groundfire/bombing/strafing (Cole, Leibolt, Fauth, Newkirk, Swartz,
            Foshee, Donovan, Little, Petach, Shamblin)

4 - air-to-air encounters (Neil Martin, Henry Gilbert, Louis "Cokey" Hoffman,
            Bert Christman <shot in his parachute>)

At the September 2013 Reunion of the AVG in Huntsville, AL it was announced to the AVG families that the efforts with the DPMO/JPAC to recover the three AVG from Toungoo were being expanded to include all AVG who were lost in the
CBI theater and whose remains were either unaccounted for or not returned to their families in America.

We are still in the process of assembling all of this data; any additional information or comments which any of you AVG Forum members can add will be greatly appreciated.

Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

Edited by aaatripp : September 23, 2014, 3:04 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

The correct number has been adjusted now to 23.  The 24th name was that of Frank Schiel, who was KIA while serving the 23FG as CO of the 74FS.  In the documentaries of the AVG you will view the segment which shows an AVG member pinning on the insignia of the US Army Air Force.  That grinning pilot with the thin mustache is FRANK SCHIEL (formerly of the 1st Pursuit Squadron Adam & Eves)!

We will certainly include Tigers Schiel, Roy Hoffman & Bill Reed in our inquiry though.  Since they were serving with US forces at the time of their deaths it could be assumed that their remains were recovered and brought home. 

Recently, I confirmed that Bill Reed's remains were brought home and he is buried in his home state of Iowa.  Same for Louis Hoffman---he is buried in the
Punchbowl Ntl. Cemetery in Honolulu near two of the "unknowns".

It appears that both John "Scarsdale Jack" Newkirk and Ben Crum Foshee were also brought home as there are webpages which show their gravestones in Scarsdale, NY and Alabama respectively.  The 14th Air Force video with George "Pappy" Paxton's narrated film shows the grave of Frank Swartz in Poona, India.  We will work on determining if his remains were returned to his family. Same  for others like Martin, Gilbert, Christman, Donovan, Blackburn, Little, Mangleburg, Sandell, Merritt, Jones, Baugh, Cole & Fauth.

We know that Armstrong, Hammer, Atkinson, Leibolt, Petach & Shamblin have not yet been either located or positively identified.  Again, we are hoping that the 1st three will prove to be those buried as unknowns in the Punchbowl in Hawaii.

That's our latest update for now.....

Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

Edited by aaatripp : February 5, 2016, 5:42 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

LydiaRossi

Thanks to all concerned for staying with this search for so many years!

BenL
I believe that Frank Shiel is buried in Prescott, AZ.

aaatripp

BenL----thanks, this is great news!  What is the source for this new info?

Thanks,
Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

Thanks very much Patrick for posting this great photo of AVG friend Ken Tilley at his desk at JPAC, where he works so very hard to bring our boys home! 

The nearby photos of Armstrong, Hammer & Atkinson are indeed inspirational!

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

BenL
I  wish I had printed an article on Frank Shiel in the Prescott Courier that I ran across a few years back from the late 1990s but since have not been able to find since it only goes back to the year 2000 online now. It told the story of Frank Shiel being born in Phoenix but moving to Prescott at a young age, it gave his boyhood home address, which are now apartments and the fact that he is buried at the Mountain View cemetery. At this time I have not had a chance to go looking for his grave but have seen his name at a World War II memorial at the county square.

aaatripp

BenL----thanks again for your info on Frank Schiel, Jr.

Here's the link as the Courier article is available online:

(LINK HAS BEEN MOVED TO MY FOLLOWUP POST)

Another Tiger hero.

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : May 21, 2014, 6:07 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

BenL
Tripp,

I am glad that you were able to read the article. Unfortunately the link provided does not work on my end.

Thanks,
Ben

aaatripp

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=894&dat=19960324&i d=eR0OAAAAIBAJ&sjid=j30DAAAAIBAJ&pg=6679,2814823

ATTENTION ALL FORUM READERS:  there are problems with copying/pasting this link into this Forum message.  It keeps adding a space between the " i " and the
" d " just after the "...60324&".  If you will copy it into your browser address space then delete that space you will be able to see and read this great article that BenL has brought to our attention.

Thanks again, BenL.....great work!

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : May 21, 2014, 6:11 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

BenL

I still had problems with the link but I entered Frank Schiel, Prescott on Google and the article came up. I was previously trying to find the article at the Prescott Daily Courier website but that only went back to the year 2000.

I was able to find a Frank Schiel at the following link but he turned out to be Frank Schiel Sr., perhaps Frank Scheil Jr. is buried at the local VA Cemetery.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GSln=Schie l&GSiman=1&GScid=236339&

Also found in the google search was a 1949 lawsuit filed by Frank Schiel's family against a New York insurance company for not paying death benefits.

aaatripp

Thanks, BenL, for your research.  I tried the Ntl. Cemetery locator and could not find Frank Schiel (Jr.) buried in the Prescott AZ National Cemetery or in any of the other veterans cemeteries in the system.

I also tried the Find-A-Grave link to see if Frank Schiel was buried anywhere in the US, but could find no listing.  The search in Mountain View Cemetery in Prescott AZ revealed Frank's father and mother, who are buried together.  The listing contains all internments in Mountain View, so there lies the mystery.  The 1996 newspaper article says that Frank is buried there, but we can't find the listing.  The 3 Schiels buried there are Frank's parents and probably his paternal grandmother.

Any other possibilities out there?
Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

BenL
I did find an application for headstone or marker dated 6-3-48 for Frank Schiel Jr. to be sent to the Mt. View Cemetery on Ancestry.com, so odds are he is buried there and it is just not coming up on findagrave.com

http://interactive.ancestry.com/2375/40050_520307095_0389-02269/ 165937?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.com%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3frank%3d1%2 6new%3d1%26MSAV%3d0%26msT%3d1%26gss%3dangs-c%26uidh%3d000%26gsfn%3dfrank%26gsln% 3dschiel%26msrpn__ftp%3dAZ%26o_xid%3d54749%26o_lid%3d54749%26o_sch%3dPartners%26 pcat%3d34%26h%3d165937%26recoff%3d8%2b9%26db%3dQGHeadstoneApps%26indiv%3d1%26ml_ rpos%3d5%26nreg%3d1&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnRecord

I don't know if this will come up for you because you have to become a member.

Edited by BenL : May 26, 2014, 4:04 pm

aaatripp

EXCELLENT NEWS!!

The office of the Mountain View Cemetery in Prescott, AZ today confirmed that AVG pilot and US Army Air Force Maj. Frank Schiel, Jr. is buried in grave N-26C in their
cemetery.

His remains were returned to his family in 1947 (his parents died in 1970/72).
There is now a memorial page for Frank Schiel at FindAGrave.com

Thanks to all for their kind assistance!
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

LydiaRossi

And thanks to you, Tripp, for your tenacious work of several years on this project.

aaatripp

Thanks, Lydia!

The Flying Tigers Association, in accordance with the proposal made at our September 2013 Reunion in Huntsville, AL, presents the following information to ensure that all of our Tigers are accounted for and returned to their families:.

Please NOTE:  if you have any information about the loss of our Tigers please add it to this thread on our Forum to help us find them!  Thank you....

A MASTER LIST OF ALL AVG LOST IN THE CBI

We are in the process of collecting "status info" from family members, cemeteries & other sources for those AVG who did not return from the CBI.

The total number is 30 which includes 23 lost (KIA/KIFA/MIA) during the
AVG contract period (and 2-week extension to 18 Jul 42), 4 AVG killed while serving with the US Army Air Force (23FG/CATF or 14AF/CACW) in China from mid-July '42 to the end of the war (Frank Schiel, Roy Hoffman, George McMillan, Bill Reed) and 3 AVG lost while flying with CNAC to supply the CBI theater (Dean, A. Wright, Mickelson).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -------------
Below is the list so far, in chronological order of loss:

AVG losses
1.  Armstrong, John Dean      - KIFA 8Sep41 Toungoo,  buried in grave #1 at the Airmen's Cemetery at St. Luke's Anglican Church in Toungoo, Burma, see below *.  To be buried with family on June 17,2017 in Hutchinson, KS.
2.  Hammer, Maax C. Jr.        -KIFA 22Sep41 Toungoo, buried  in grave #2 at the Airmen's Cemetery at St. Luke's Anglican Church in Toungoo, Burma, see below *.  Buried next to parents/grandparents, March 21, 2017, Oakland Cemetery, Carbondale, IL.
3.  Atkinson, Peter W.            - KIFA 25Oct41 Toungoo, buried  in grave #3 at the Airmen's Cemetery at St. Luke's Anglican Church in Toungoo, Burma, see below *.  Buried with many family members, April 8, 2017, Rosedale Cemetery, Martinsburg, WV.
4.  Martin, Neil G.                  - KIA 23Dec41 Rangoon, buried at church of Edward the Martyr, then buried in Plot 45, Mingaladon Cantonment Cemetery, Rangoon, Burma.  Memorial stone place on Lot 13, Sect. E in Hillcrest Cemetery, Texarkana, TX.  Probably still buried in Burma.
5.  Gilbert, Henry G. Jr.          - KIA 23Dec41 Rangoon, buried 12/24 Church of Edward the Martyr, Insein, Rangoon, then BURIED PunchBowl, HI, grave D477.
6.  Mangleburg, Lacy F.          - KIFA 24Dec41 Lotien Shwangpo,China, buried Chinese Cemetery for Military Aviators, Kunming, then BUR 3/18/49,Sec. C, Lot 51, Oconee Hill Cem. Athens, GA *
7.  Baugh, Marion Flay            - KIFA 3Jan42 Kunming, buried CCMAv., Kunming, then BURIED Grove Hill Cem(sect 53, lot 45, space 2) Dallas, TX on 8/25/48.  *
8.  Merritt, Kenneth T.            - KIFA 8Jan42 Rangoon, buried Rangoon, Burma.  Then reported BURIED Arlington, TX 3/25/49.
9.  Christman, Allen "Bert"      - KIA 23Jan42 Rangoon, buried Rangoon, then India, then BURIED in Grandview Cem. (sect 8, lot 208, grave 2) Ft. Collins, CO on Feb. 4 '50
10. Hoffman, Louis "Cokey"    - KIA 26Jan42 Rangoon, buried Rangoon, Burma then reburied, then BURIED PunchBowl, HI, grave F1242.
11. Cole, Thomas J. Jr.          - KIA 30Jan42 Moulmein, Burma, crashed behind enemy lines then? (March 31, 1942 official report filed by U.S. Consul Troy L. Perkins in Kunming, China---Cole was shot down over Moulmein, Burma.  Details reported by AVG Chaplain Paul W. Frillmann).
12. Sandell, Robert J.              - KIFA 7Feb42 Rangoon, buried Church of Edward The Martyr, Mingaladon, Burma, then?
13. Leibolt, Edward J.              - MIA/KIA 25Feb42 Rangoon, never recovered.
14. Fauth, John E.                  - KIA 21Mar42 Magwe, Burma, then buried in the British cantonment cemetery, then? (Crew Chief -only groundcrew KIA)
15. Newkirk, John VanKuren    - KIA 24Mar42 Chiang Mai, Thailand, then?  BURIED St James the Less Church Cemetery in Scarsdale, NY
16. Swartz, Frank W.              - KIA/DOW 24Apr42 buried at St. Sepulcher Church Cemetery, Poona, India (Paxton's film of gravesite at Edward the Martyr Church), then?
17. Blackburn, John Ed III        - KIFA 28Apr42 KunmingDianchi Lake, China, buried CCMAv, Kunming, then BURIED Llano Cem., Amarillo, TX 1949.    *
18. Foshee, Ben Crum              - KIA/DOW 4May42 Paoshan, China, buried CCMAv, Kunming then repatriated by CDR Pascal Lassiter,USN (Ret.) in 44-45, BURIED at Fairmount Cem, Red Level, AL. *
19. Donovan, John Tyler          - KIA 12May42 Hanoi, Indochina (Vietnam), then BURIED Greenwood Cemetery, Montgomery, AL.
20. Jones, Thomas A.              - KIFA 16May42 Kunming, China, buried CCMAv, Kun, then BURIED 7/11/49 Mtn View Cem, Walla Walla, WA Plot WALLA-MV-71-20-1  *
21. Little, Robert Laing              - KIA 22May42 Salween River Gorge, never recovered.
22. Petach, John E. "Pete" Jr.    - KIA 10Jul42 Nanchang (Lin Chuan/Fuzhou), China, crashed behind enemy lines, never recovered.
23. Shamblin, Arnold W.          - MIA/KIA 10Jul42 Nanchang, China, hit by ground fire just after Petach, survived parachuting to ground, captured/tortured/executed by Japanese, crashed behind enemy lines, never recovered.

* in 1947 an Army Graves Registration Service (AGRS) team went to the cemetery of St. Luke's Anglican Church in Toungoo, Burma.  Thanks to information from the cemetery caretaker the AGRS team disinterred four sets of remains identified as AVG #1,2,3,4 and transferred them to Barrackpore, India where autopsies were conducted on the skeletal remains and they were classified (as X-633,634,635,636) and re-buried. In late 1948 they were disinterred and transferred to Hawaii where, on Mar 22-23, 1949, they were interred in the Punchbowl Cemetery on Oahu, Hawaii.  They rested in peace for 67 years until JPAC staff reviewed the files and notified 3 families. Through their efforts and many contacts with JPAC officials and congressmen the remains were disinterred on April 11, 2016 and DNA samples were immediately sent to the DNA ID Lab.  Families were notified on January 4, 2017 that a positive ID had been made. The families then awaited the return of their long lost loved Tigers.....

NOTE: remains buried in grave F1216 at Punchbowl Cemetery in Hawaii and designated as AVG #4 in Unknown file X-636 is most likely not AVG based on historic & forensic evidence.

USAAF losses

24. Schiel, Frank Jr.                  -  KIA  7Dec42, crash of recon a/c as (CO 74FS, Major USAAF), BURIED Mountain View Cemetery, Plot N-26C in Prescott, AZ.
25. Hoffman, Roy G.                -        25Aug43, died in Chanyi, China (14AF HQ, Major USAAF), BURIED Punchbowl, HI, grave A453.
26. McMillan, George Bray        -  KIA 24Jun44, crash of P-38, in China (CO 449FS, Lt. Col. USAAF).  Buried in China, then BURIED Arlington Ntl. Cem 3/12/48, Sect. 12/grave 3375
27. Reed, William Norman        -  KIA 19Dec44, bailing out of P-40 (chute failed to open) Heng Yang, China (CO 3FG, Lt. Col. USAAF), BURIED Riverside Cemetery, Plot: Block1, 2nd Add, lot 14 in Anamosa, Iowa.

CNAC losses
28Dean, John                        - 17Nov42 -a pilot with the 1st Sqdn "Adam & Eves" and was officially credited with 3 1/4 enemy aircraft destroyed. Now, the crash site of Dean's CNAC #60 has been found according to the article linked in Post #37 with addtl. info in #86. Dean's remains lie buried near the crash site at 13,400 ft on the southern slope of Malong Peak in the Cang Shan Mountain range, near Dali, China, along with his co-pilot James Browne and their Chinese radioman, K.L. Yang.
29.  Wright, Allen M.                  - 10Dec43 -from the 1st Pursuit Squadron, was killed in the crash of CNAC #83 in China.
30.  Mickelson, Einar I.              - 20Feb44 -credited with 1/4 enemy aircraft destroyed while flying in the 1st Squadron, died in the crash of CNAC #75 in China.

Chinese Cemetery for Military Aviators, 8k east of Kunming on the Kweiyang Road - graves marked with headstones (Blackburn, Jones, Foshee, Mangleburg, Baugh)

The attached map of this Chinese Cemetery for Mlty. Aviators at Kunming was provided by an AVG Family member, Jane Rowinsky.

So far, we have the remains of the following eighteen (18) AVG confirmed as having been returned to the US: 

Armstrong, Atkinson, Baugh, Blackburn, Christman, Donovan, Foshee, Gilbert, Hammer L. Hoffman, R. Hoffman, Jones, Mangleburg, McMillan, Merritt, Newkirk, Reed & Schiel. 

SUMMARY OF MISSING AVG TO BE REPATRIATED (12)

1st Tier - those who were buried in known locations, but status/repatriation not yet confirmed (4)

1.  Neil G. Martin (Mingaladon, Rangoon, Burma)
2.  Robert J. Sandell (Rangoon, Burma)
3.  John E. Fauth (British cantonment cemetery, Magwe, Burma)
4.  Frank W. Swartz (Poona, India)

2nd Tier - those KIA/MIA not yet located and/or recovered (8)

5.  Thomas Jefferson Cole, Jr. (crashed behind enemy lines near Moulmein, Burma) KIA, STATUS OF REMAINS UNKNOWN
6.  Edward J. Leibolt (forced down Rangoon area in southern Burma) MIA/KIA, STATUS OF REMAINS UNKNOWN
7.  Robert Laing Little (crashed in/near Salween River Gorge) KIA, STATUS OF REMAINS UNKNOWN
8.  John E. "Pete" Petach (crashed Nam Chang, China) KIA, STATUS OF REMAINS UNKNOWN
9.  Arnold "Red" Shamblin (crashed Nam Chang, China) MIA/POW/KIA STATUS OF REMAINS UNKNOWN
10. John Dean  (CNAC #60 crash site at 14,000 ft on Cangshan Mountain in China)(reported that the crew was buried near the crash site)
11. Allen M. Wright (crash of CNAC #83)
12. Einar I. Mickelson (crash of CNAC #75)

MYSTERY----What happened to Tom Cole, Ed Leibolt, Bob Little, Pete Petach & Red Shamblin??

Can you help us account for our Lost Tigers?

(Updated 4/11/17)

Edited by aaatripp : April 11, 2017, 9:48 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

Map of the Chinese Cemetery for Military Aviators, 8k east of Kunming, China

(provided courtesy of Flying Tiger Family Member, Jane Rowinsky)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

NEWS!!
  Here is info in greater detail about the gravesites shown on the map. The timing fits.  Here's the chronology of deaths:

I      Johnson (US Army - unknown)
            (3 Chinese aviators - unknown)
II    Baugh - AVG 1/3/42 @ Kunming
III    Mangleburg - AVG 12/24/41 @ Lotien, Schwangpo,China (probably a delay in recovering remains due to very remote crash site in mtns)
IV    Scott (CNAC 3/14/42)  (killed in the crash of CNAC #31 at 10:15pm, shortly after takeoff, approx 2k from Kunming Airdrome. It was the last CNAC DC-2.
V    Schuler (CNAC 3/14/42) (same CNAC #31 crash)
VI    Kohler (US Army 3/14/42) (same CNAC #31 crash)
VII  George (US Army 3/14/42) (same CNAC #31 crash)
VIII  Foshee - AVG 5/4/42 @ Paoshan, China
IX    Jones - AVG 5/16/42 @ Kunming, China
X    Blackburn - AVG 4/28/42  (delay in burial probably due to difficulty recovering remains from a/c crashed into Lake Dianchi, Kunming, China)
XI    Zeuski  (US Army - unknown)

Sources:  AVG records, CNAC website and webpages on Emil Scott managed by Tom Moore, and The Pictorial History of the Flying Tigers by Larry M. Pistole.  Please note this link to Tom Moore's excellent memorial to his uncle Emil "Scotty" Scott, co-pilot of CNAC #31: 
        http://www.cnac.org/emilscott/accid01.htm

UPDATE AS OF JUNE 10, 2014:
We have confirmed that all 5 AVG buried in this section in Kunming were later returned to their families and buried in their stateside hometowns.

Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

Edited by aaatripp : February 5, 2016, 5:54 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

Please note the following memorial pages to our Tigers lost in the CBI:

Marion Flay Baugh:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Baugh& amp;GSfn=marion&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=121997925&am p;df=all&

John Ed Blackburn, III:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Blackb urn&GSfn=John&GSbyrel=all&GSdy=1942&GSdyrel=in&GSob=n&GR id=24720321&df=all&

Allen Bert Christman:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Christ man&GSfn=Allen&GSmn=Bert&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n& GRid=21504511&df=all&

John Tyler Donovan:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Donova n&GSfn=john&GSbyrel=all&GSdy=1942&GSdyrel=in&GSst=3&GScn try=4&GSob=n&GRid=68545222&df=all&

Ben Crum Foshee:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Foshee &GSfn=Ben&GSbyrel=all&GSdy=1942&GSdyrel=in&GSst=3&GScntr y=4&GSob=n&GRid=25686446&df=all&

Henry George Gilbert, Jr.:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Gilber t&GSfn=Henry&GSmn=George&GSbyrel=all&GSdy=1941&GSdyrel=in&am p;GSob=n&GRid=3775887&df=all&

http://gravelocator.cem.va.gov/NGLMap?ID=2245380

(note: he is incorrectly listed as a civilian from Wake Island NAS)

Maax Curtis Hammer, Jr.:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=131102 067

Louis "Cokey" Hoffman:

buried in the National Cemetery of the Pacific (Punch Bowl), Honolulu, HI.
http://gravelocator.cem.va.gov/NGLMap?ID=3844992  (note: he is incorrectly listed as a civilian from Wake Island NAS)

Maj. Roy G. Hoffman, USAAF:

http://gravelocator.cem.va.gov/NGLMap?ID=1033285

Thomas Arnold Jones, Jr.:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Jones& amp;GSfn=Thomas&GSmn=A&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=50&GScnt ry=4&GSob=n&GRid=70665255&df=all&

Lacy Fleming Mangleburg:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Mangle burg&GSfn=Lacy&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=74348418& amp;df=all&

Lt. Neil Gibson Martin:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=129236 980
(Note:  this is a memorial stone; it appears that Martin is still buried in Burma)

George Bray McMillan:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=McMill an&GSfn=George&GSmn=Bray&GSbyrel=all&GSdy=1944&GSdyrel=in&am p;GSob=n&GRid=14596332&df=all&

John J. "Scarsdale Jack" Newkirk:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Newkir k&GSfn=John&GSmn=Van&GSbyrel=all&GSdy=1942&GSdyrel=in&GS st=36&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=20037604&df=all&

William N. Reed:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Reed&a mp;GSfn=William&GSmn=N&GSbyrel=all&GSdy=1944&GSdyrel=in&GSst =14&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=13163722&df=all&

Frank Schiel, Jr.:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=130458 127

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : February 5, 2016, 6:09 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

mickelman
According to Martha Byrd (p. 170), Butch Carney killed a man in a brawl in April 1942. Chennault kept him under house arrest until the trial (which is why he was not present when Olga Greenlaw passed through on her way out of Burma). Carney was sentenced to two years and was sent back to Louisiana, where his senator petitioned for a pardon. There was some correspondence between Noe and Chennault; Byrd quotes from a letter dated 21 Aug 1943. So he couldn't have died in China the previous year.

LydiaRossi

Dick Rossi said Martha Byrd's book was full of inaccuracies.

aaatripp

NEWS!!

Please note changes made to post #24 above.  Attached is a photo of the burial service for 4 American aviators killed in the crash of CNAC #31 on 14 Mar 42 just east of the Kunming Airdrome.  This is confirmed by CNAC records and The Pictorial History of the Flying Tigers by Larry M. Pistole.

The caption on this photo is incorrect as the Tigers killed by Japanese gunners over Burma were Martin, Gilbert, L. Hoffman & Christman (Martin was actually killed when he passed under an exploding Japanese bomber)----they were all buried in Rangoon, Burma NOT in Kunming, China.  Also, it says "three of their members" and you can clearly see four flag-draped caskets.

NOTE:  Martin, Gilbert, L. Hoffman & Christman were the only Tigers killed in air-to-air encounters.  The other 19 Tigers died either from enemy antiaircraft fire, being bombed or strafed on the ground (Fauth, Swartz, Foshee) or KIFA (flying accidents).  The only exception might be Ed Leibolt as there is conflicting info that he was lost due to mechanical problems or battle damage in the air.  His crash site was never found and Leibolt's case remains a mystery.

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : May 15, 2016, 2:00 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

Attached are accounts from the daily diary entries of 2nd Squadron Panda Bear pilot Noel Bacon of the aircraft accidents in which Tigers John Armstrong, Maax Hammer & Peter Atinson were killed.

(generously provided by Noel Bacon's grandson, Bill Bosak)

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

Attached are accounts from the daily diary entries of 2nd Squadron Panda Bear pilot Noel Bacon of the aircraft accident in which Tiger Maax Hammer was killed.

Diary entries for the crashes of John Dean Armstrong & Peter Atkinson will be added in the near future.

Tripp

(generously provided by Noel Bacon's grandson, Bill Bosak)

Edited by aaatripp : February 5, 2016, 5:59 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

mayor

I received a an e-mail today from John J. Newkirk (Scarsdale Jack's 2nd cousin) about my inquiry I made to him on where Jack was buried.

He told me that Jack is buried in St. James the less Church in Scarsdale, NY.

John J. Newkirk is the author of "The Old Man and the Harley". It was his father that was Jack's 1st cousin.
I sent him the URL of this site in case he would like to look around.

aaatripp

Excellent, thanks Mayor. 

Updated our working copy of the MISSING AVG STATUS LIST (Post #22) today.  Greatly appreciate your interest & assistance!

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : June 7, 2014, 8:38 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

Please note that Post #24 contains a link to Tom Moore's excellent memorial to his uncle, Emil "Scotty" Scott, co-pilot of CNAC #31.

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

Please note---further updates today to our:

1.  Status list (Post #22)
2.  Links to memorial pages for 12 returned Tigers (Post #25plus

Lt. Neil G. Martin.  Memorial stone in Texarkana, TX. It appears he is still buried in Rangoon, Burma (Myanmar).

John Tyler Donovan.  Stone Montgomery, AL.  Waiting to hear if remains are buried there.

Maax C. Hammer, Jr. buried in Toungoo.  Where is he?

If you have any info, suggestions or edits please contact me....thanks!
Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : June 10, 2014, 3:06 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

To mickelman in POST #26:

Thanks again for the alert on Carney's dod:  1965, buried in Louisiana.
Removed him from the list.

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : June 10, 2014, 2:22 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

TODAY'S UPDATES:

1.  See Post #24:  all 5 AVG confirmed returned to families & buried USA.
2.  Updates to Post #22
3.  Updates to Post #25

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : June 10, 2014, 2:38 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

BenL
John Dean was also killed in the CBI while flying with CNAC.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2149527/Missing-World-Wa r-Two-pilots-finally-accounted-plane-crashes-discovered-Himalayas.html

aaatripp

Thanks very much for posting this important news, BenL.  This is significant!

Three Tigers went down on Hump crashes

John Dean was a pilot with the 1st Sqdn "Adam & Eves" and was officially credited with 3 1/4 enemy aircraft destroyed.  He was lost on 11/17/42.  Now, his crash site has been found according to the above article.

Allen M. Wright, also from the 1st Pursuit Squadron, was killed in the crash of CNAC #83 in China on 12/10/43.

Einar I. Mickelson
, credited with 1/4 enemy aircraft destroyed while flying in the 1stPS, died in the crash of CNAC #75 in China on 2/20/44.

Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

Edited by aaatripp : June 21, 2014, 12:54 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

Lincoln
Post Group: Working Newbie
I will try and find the information, I'm pretty sure Petach was flying with Ajax Baumler and a Baumler reported Petachs plane exploding.  He didn't see ground fire, just the plane exploding.

aaatripp

This was a July 10th mission of four P-40 fighters of the 75th Fighter Squadron flying out of Hengyang.  Sqdn Ldr Tex Hill dispatched John E. "Pete" Petach to lead the mission along with Arnold "Red" Shamblin.  Both had volunteered to stay on for another 2 weeks following the disbandment of the AVG on July 4th.

Accompanying them were new US Army Air Force Lieutenants Leonard Butsch and Albert "Ajax" Baumler who were flying the mission for "familiarization". 

Notably, Baumler will be remembered as the 100th AVG pilot originally recruited in mid-1941, but the State Dept. denied him a passport since he had flown with the Russians on the Republican side in the Spanish Civil War.  Ironically, he was flying to the Far East, after being assigned to the US Military Mission in China, in the hopes of becoming the liaison to the AVG.  The Pan American Clipper which he was aboard was carrying badly needed tires and spare parts to the AVG.  It was strafed by the Japanese while the aircraft was stopped at Wake Island----the date was Dec. 7, 1941 (Hawaii time).  The Clipper then offloaded the supplies, loaded the Pan Am station crew and flew eastward to safety.
Thus, Baumler missed his 2nd chance to fight with the AVG.

Petach kept Butsch and Baumler at altitude while he & Shamblin made their bombing runs on the Japanese HQ bldg.  Petach went in first and made a direct hit on the target but was hit by groundfire which sheared off a wing; his plane exploded and crashed, killing Petach.  Shamblin was determined to exact some payback for Petach's loss and vectored in on the Japanese AA battery where he released his bomb.  Again, accurate AA fire took its toll and Shamblin's P-40 was hit.  He was able to successfully bail out and the orbiting Baumler & Butsch saw him reach the ground and scurry for safety.  Later, it would be learned that Red Shamblin had been captured, tortured and executed by the Japanese.

Source:  TEX HILL:  FLYING TIGER  (pp. 179-80)

Tripp Alyn, chair

Edited by aaatripp : February 5, 2016, 6:06 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

John E. Petach and Arnold Shamblin are two Flying Tigers whose remains have never been located.  They are certainly on the JPAC list for locating AVG remains.

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

MISSING AVG LIST UPDATED TODAY!

Our working list at Post #22 has been updated to add the 3 CNAC pilots who were lost flying the Hump to bring supplies to the CBI Theater.

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

noman
Frank Schiel memorial/gravesite
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Schiel &GSfn=Frank&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=130458127&am p;df=all&

aaatripp

Thanks, noman, for your notation.

Please refer to our posting #25 of 5/31/14 in this thread which provides links to the memorial information on 15 of our Tigers.

Thanks very much for your interest in the AVG!

Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

noman
thanks glad to be of help

aaatripp

Please note today's updates to our Working List of Missing Tigers.

We have confirmed that George McMillan's remains were repatriated to the US and were buried in Arlington Ntl. Cemetery on 12 March 1948.  Many thanks to Kay Cappleman of the Winter Garden Heritage Foundation for her assistance.

This reduces the unaccounted for list to 15.

We continue to work on this list and any information which you can provide would be most appreciated.

WORKING LIST CAN BE FOUND AT POST #22 of this thread.

Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

noman
McMillian Picture and memorial http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=McMill an&GSfn=George&GSiman=1&GScid=49269&GRid=14596332&

:angel:  :D

aaatripp

Thanks for posting this noman.  When we were searching for info on George B. McMillan six months ago he did not come up in Find-a-Grave.  Now it's easy to see why.....the person posting his memorial page used his 14AF rank of LTC as a first name.

I tried to contact the posting member, but they have shut off their message line.  They did an excellent job on researching George McMillan and another member has posted a great photo of him wearing his AVG pin and Chinese Air Force pilot's wings and cover device.  This will aid in the completion of his BIO page on this website.

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : November 5, 2014, 7:00 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

SilverDollar
Thanks for posting such great picture, noman.  That really shows off the detail for one of the AVG dress uniforms.  Not only that, the text describing his service record really confirms that the AVG personnel were not a "rag tag" group of misfits like some so called historians like to portray them. 

Edited by SilverDollar : November 5, 2014, 3:03 pm

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

aaatripp

PLEASE NOTE:

Post #25 in this thread was updated today.  There are links to memorial pages for 16 of our Tigers lost in the CBI theater of operations----all links are now active.

In viewing the gravestones of these Tigers you will notice varying inscriptions indicating their duty with the AVG Flying Tigers.

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : November 5, 2014, 4:24 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

SilverDollar
Thanks Tripp for the update.  It was very interesting reading. 

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

aaatripp

We still have 15 Tigers to account for....this will keep going until we bring all of our
Tigers HOME.....to their families.....to their Country!!

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

noman
glad to be of help! :angel:

Interesting how his hat insignia is of Republic of China...

Edited by noman : November 6, 2014, 6:04 am

aaatripp

Absolutely!

True that this covert operation was authorized by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt where the AVG were civilian contractors working for the cover organization, CAMCO.  In the grim reality of the field, there was a very real danger----capture  by the Imperial Japanese Army!  (like Mott, Bishop, McGarry, Alsop & Shamblin)

As a result,  the AVG signed  papers enlisting in the Chinese Air Force- --to afford them protection,  as combatants,  under the Geneva Convention.  Fighting for another country would have precluded their later service in the U.S. military,  as it initially did for Albert" Ajax" Baumler,  the 100th AVG pilot who was denied a passport by the State Dept., since Baumler had flown with the Russians in the Spanish Civil War.  Observance of the Geneva Convention by the Japanese  was problematic at best!

McMillan's AVG uniform has the gold-braided CAF cover device, CAF pilot's wings over his left breast pocket and the famous AVG insignia over his right breast pocket.  On both lapels are aviator insignias.

It should also be pointed out that our publications are titled "American Volunteer Group  - Flying Tigers - Chinese Air Force".

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : February 5, 2016, 6:16 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

Lincoln
Baumler Flew for the Spanish REPUBLICANS, they had DEMOCRATICALLY elected a President, the Church, the Wealthy, and the Military did not like the ELECTED PRESIDENT and revolted.  They were the Spanish Fascist, who were supported by HITLER, and Mussolini.  The REPUBLICANS sought Aid from England and the United States but were denied, when they sought Aid from Russia, it was given.  Because the Russians tried to transfer their Ideology, because the Russians Provided Equipment, and because some Communists fought for the Republicans, they are oft associated with the Russians and Communism.  There were many people who fought for the Republicans including Anarchists.

Painting the Spanish Repubulicans with the "Russian" and "Communists" brush is like painting the AVG with the "Mercenary" brush.  We know that some of the AVG felt a Kinship with China, Tex Hill had been in a Missionary Family. Some had been angered by the news from China, like the "Rape of Nanking" and the MovieTone News Reels filmed by Japanese crewmen as they Bombed Defenseless Chinese Civilians.  Not everyone who flew with the AVG was a Greedy Adventure Seeking Gun for Hire and not everyone who Fought for the Spanish Republicans was a Russian or Communist.

Edited by Lincoln : November 6, 2014, 3:36 pm

mayor

Here's something that's always brought to my mind when someone calls the AVG, "mercenaries"......I would think that anyone that grew up and lived thru the depression would jump at the chance to make that kind of money, to do, basically, what they were doing, anyway. Even in the early 40s, that was excellent money.

RLWillett
Don't forget John J Dean, Flight Leader 1st Squadron. He stayed in China to fly for CNAC and was killed on the Hump 11/17/1942. Our family and CNAC Association recruited MIA Recoveries who found the C-47 wreckage near Dali, China. JPAC has told us there is a chance for a Sept 2015 excavation of the site. PLA (China's Peoples Liberation Army) has made a preliminary search this year and approved a JPAC effort. See MIARecoveries.org for search details.

RLWillett
after posting this message in the Public Discussion thread I was advised to post in this thread.  Tripp responded to this message and I will post a follow-up.

The remains of the Flying Tigers in Toungoo are of great interest but also of interest is the location of the body of Flight Leader John J. Dean on the side of Cangshan Mountain near Dali China.  John was killed Nov. 17, 1942, while flying with China National Aviation Corporation, along with co-pilot James S. Brown, who was my cousin.  Our research and the work of Clayton Kuhles of MIA Recoveries Inc. led us to discover this wreckage site.

If the Flying Tiger Association is in contact with JPAC in efforts to locate the Toungoo Flying Tigers, maybe they can also push for an expedition to the wreckage of Dean's C47 - CNAC flight #60.  Our recent communications and conversations with JPAC and DPMO have indicated a possible expedition in Sept. 2015.  Chinese officials have already done a preliminary search and authorized JPAC to excavate the site. 

Any help you all can give us would be deeply appreciated!

RLWillett
{after posting about this in the Public Discussion Forum, Tripp responded to me with more about the work your group is doing to bring back the AVGs.  Here is my latest response to move the conversation into this thread.]

Thank you for the swift reply - I will take your recommendation and post my original message in the related thread.

I also appreciate being alerted to the work that has been done by your people and the common interest we have in locating AVGs.  We are very impressed and happy to learn of the progress you all have made in the search for other lost Flying Tigers. 

We've been working with JPAC and DPMO for some time on our case, but have recently been encouraged by the Chinese embassy in Washington, who inform us they have invited JPAC to search for John and Jimmy's C47.    Also the PLA has investigated the area and reported it is suitable for expedition.  So we feel closer than ever, but still recognize that there are many determining factors. 

We will keep you abreast of any progress on our efforts, and look forward to hearing about your successes as well!

Many thanks!

aaatripp

Please NOTE the following 12/27 post reported by Forum member R.L. Willett:

"In the JPAC/DPMO briefing held in Orlando last month we learned that
JPAC has scheduled an expedition to Dali, China to excavate the crash
site of CNAC # 60, piloted by John Dean."

We are indeed hopeful that the remains of our Tiger, John Dean, and his co-pilot, James S. Brown, will be found soon.

Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

Edited by aaatripp : December 29, 2014, 9:29 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

noman
Frank Schiel memorial in Arizona
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=S& GSfn=Frank&GSiman=1&GScid=236339&GRid=130458127&
  :D  :angel:

noman
Hope this helps

Edited by noman : December 29, 2014, 10:23 am

aaatripp

Thank you.

All please NOTE:

Links for memorial/gravesite info for 16 of our Tigers (including Frank Schiel) can be found in this thread on:

Post #25 from 5/31/2014

They are consolidated for your convenience!
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

Please note today's update to our Working List of Missing Tigers.

We now have information that AVG Crew Chief Johnny Fauth, who was killed in a Japanese attack on the airfield at Magwe, Burma, was buried in either the Catholic church cemetery or the British Cantonment cemetery.

Also, additional names (Lin Chuan/Fuzhou) were added to the local crash site in China of John E. Petach.

We continue to work on this list and any information which you can provide would be most appreciated.

It has come to our attention that a relative of pilot Thomas J. Cole lives somewhere in Alabama.  One of our family members has actually met him.  If anyone can help us find him your assistance is urgently requested and would be most appreciated.    Please send me a Private Message on this Forum.

Our WORKING LIST CAN BE FOUND AT POST #22 of this thread.

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : January 19, 2015, 9:56 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

RLWillett
In the case of John J. Dean, the crash site is on Shang Chan mountain near Dali, China, not in Burma. Also, Dean's brother Roy lives in Sarasota

RLWillett
Oops! That should be Cang Shan mountain near Dali. JPAC is scheduled to investigate in August or September 2015

aaatripp

Thanks RLW for correction from Burma to China.

Do you have contact info for Roy Dean?  If so, please send to me:
    aaatripp@gmail.com

Excited to hear of results this summer of expedition to the crash site in China.

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

Please note today's update to our Working List of Missing Tigers.

ANOTHER UPDATE:  all dates of loss have now been added to the list.

Our WORKING LIST CAN BE FOUND AT POST #22 of this thread.

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : January 19, 2015, 11:55 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

More updates to our Working List of Missing Tigers:

All locations of loss have been updated as per our records.

3rd Squadron armorer, Chuck Baisden, AVG has confirmed that Johnny Fauth was buried in the Catholic cemetery at Magwe, Burma.  Chuck heard that Fauth's remains were repatriated back to the US, but this is not yet confirmed.  THANKS, CHUCK!

We are still working to confirm the status of the buried remains of Sandell & Martin (Rangoon), Fauth (Magwe) and Swartz (Poona, India).

We appreciate any additional information which you can provide to help us update our WORKING LIST at POST #22 on this thread.

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : March 17, 2015, 7:48 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

noman
Concerning Fauth he is not listed on the ABMC Website-so his remains must have been recovered

aaatripp

Regarding:  John E. Fauth, KIA 3/22/42 during bombing of Magwe airfield

He was from Red Lion, PA.  Still attempting to find family members and to determine if a family burial plot exists. 

Any help greatly appreciated....thanks!

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

Awaiting news of the status of a possible JPAC trip to Cangshan Mtn. near Dali, China for the purpose of reaching the crash site of AVG pilot, flying for CNAC, John Dean & co-pilot James Browne.

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

RLWillett
Recently I heard from JPAC (now DPAA) that an "investigative" search will be made of the crash site of CNAC # 60 piloted by John J Dean (AVG) and James Browne (RAF ATA) between July 2 and July 29 this year. Since the wreckage is at 13,000 feet the special equipment and manpower needed for an exploration needs to be determined.

As a result of our research and a privately funded search mission, JPAC was informed of the location, positively ID'd with the airplane's construction number, in October 2011. Finally, our government has become involved.

Bob

RLWillett
The news on John Dean is not encouraging. An expedition to his wreck site had been scheduled for this month but the Chinese cancelled it at the last minute. Long story there... I am supposed to hear from DPAA (formerly JPAC) this week about what that means.

Meantime, the Chinese Embassy has invited my son and me to Beijing for a Sept. 3 celebration of the 70th anniversary of the end of WWII. It is ostensibly to honor the nations who supported China in its "War Against Japanese Aggression." That certainly is the AVG. The Chinese are sending us, all expenses paid, on Aug 31 coming back on Sept 4. I go business class, my son goes economy, but still pretty nice.

For more information, contact the Chinese Embassy in Washington.

Meanwhiloe, if anyone can get to the Chinese officials in Beijing, particularly the PLA, it would help get back on  track

RLWillett
If anyone is interested in John Dean or the Chinese celebration coming up in Beijing, email me at willettr@att.net or call 321 338 2465.

Bob

susan_jimison
This is indeed great news. Can't wait to hear more.

susan_jimison
Wow, I am a year late with that reply.Sorry! Too early on a Sunday morning... 

Lincoln
You can subscribe to a thread and when there are updates too it, you will get an email notifying you.

You should be sure to post about your upcoming book release on this website and it can be added to the bibliography of reference material.

RLWillett
I think I posted that the new DPAA had scheduled a search of John Dean's wreck site looking for remains, but on July 7 it was postponed. The reason was that all their PLA search people are tied up with the Celebration of the 70th anniversary of WWII.

So actually, I'm partially to blame since my son and I are going to the Celebration.

Ironic. No date for the next attempt.

aaatripp

We are eagerly awaiting reports by Bob Willett on his trip to China with his son to honor the memory of his relative co-pilot James Browne, who crashed with AVG pilot John Dean on Cangshan Mtn. near Dali, China on Nov. 17, 1942.

Is there a chance that Bob's presence in China and possible encounters with Chinese officials could lead to a heightened interest in promoting the DPAA expedition to the crash site (at 13,000 ft.) to document the site and possibly recover remains of the two pilots and the Chinese crew member?

Bob, we're standing by for some news......

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

RLWillett
Actually, I'm still on my way home, attending the CNAC reunion in San Francisco. I will be home late tomorrow and give you a full briefing. A brief brief, don't get your hopes up for an effort by DPAA.

I saw there was a large group of AVGs in Beijing, but did not get a chance to visit with any.

They did send us to Dali and we took the cable car up Malong Peak in the Cang Shan mountains then we went on to Nanjing to the Aviation Martyrs Monument and Museum where cousin Jim Browne and John Dean are engraved on black marble, then took the bullet train to Shanghai and flew here to SF.

Very interesting trip but doesn't seem to change the political stalemate in our case.

Bob

RLWillett
A quick report about the Chinese 70th anniversary of WWII's end. I got home Sunday the 13th after 8 days in China and 4 at the CNAC reunion in SF. On July 7 DPAA cancelled the search scheduled for that month for CNAC #60, pilot John Dean. Three days later I got an invitation to go to Beijing for the 70th with my son Tom. Then they flew me to Dali where we spent two days, the highlight was a cable car ride to 9,400 feet up Cang Shan Mountain where the plane wreckage is located. Locals joined me with flowers dedicated to the plane's crew which we placed on the cable car station. A really significant moment with the locals very much a part.

Then on to Nanjing to the Aviation Martyrs Monument with John Dean's name inscribed. Then home from Shanghai. Chinese government paid for everything - even postcards and stamps. 

At this point there is no discussion of renewing the request to the Chinese for a search.

susan_jimison
Bob, I am new to this and wonder what relation John Dean is to you? Thank you for your post as it is heartwarming that the Chinese are respectful of the loss of an American who came to their aid.

RLWillett
John Dean was the pilot of a C-47 that crashed on Cang Shan mountain near Dali, China on Nov 17, 1942. My cousin Jim Browne, was co-pilot of the plane with a Chinese radioman, K L Yang. All were killed in the crash.

The plane was a China National Aviation Corporation (CNAC) plane which was owned jointly by the Chinese and Pan Am and was contracted to the Air Corps  to fly the Hump.

Our family and CNAC Association went to China in Sept. 2010 and found transmissions from the last moments of their flight and with funds raised we sent MIA Recoveries, Inc. to a site determined to be the wreck location. The wreckage was found and identified by the construction number on a piece of wreckage. Since that time we have pressed JPAC, DPMO, DPAA and the State Department and the Chinese MFA, PLA and Yunnan Province officials with the DC Chinese Embassy, for permission to enter Yunnan to search for remains, but have been unsuccesful.

aaatripp

Bob,

Thanks very much for your report on your trip to China.  It must have been a very moving moment for you and your son to be so close to the crash site of CNAC #60 with your cousin, co-pilot James Browne aboard.

You mentioned placing flowers at the cable car station at the 9,400 ft. level.  We always thought that the wreckage lies at approx 11,000 ft.  Is this the closest you could come to the site?  How far is it from the cable car station to the actual crash site?  Did any of the Chinese with you indicate any opening of the door for DPAA to conduct a recovery?  Do the Chinese view these as sacred sites, not to be desecrated?  Please help us to understand the situation a little more.

Any photos which you can share with us?  Many thanks.

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

RLWillett
The report to JPAC stated the wreckage was at 13,400 feet on the south slope of Malong Peak. Impact may have been a little higher but the reported height of the peak is only 13,541 feet. The cable car is on the north side of Malong Peak so the wreckage is over the top and down the other side, but if the cable car is at 9,400 feet it is about 4,000 feet vertically to the wreck, and over the top of the peak.

I talked to several people involved with the PLA and they said the PLA is all for a search and has investigated the area and recommend we do a search. But the final approval has to come from the Minister of Foreign Affairs, and they tell me it is not likely that the government will approve any search by an American Army unit.

At the CNAC reunion I met a man who has been researching the wreck for a documentary, and he claims most of the plane was cut up by locals and made into utensils or sold. He also said that villagers he talked to said the bodies of the three were buried near the wreckage; first I had heard about that.

There seems to be no real sanctity of such sites, although markers do point out locations.

This photo was taken at the cable car station with flowers given by the locals. I'll send more when I get them sorted.

Bob

susan_jimison
Wow, Bob, what an amazing journey you have been on. I wish you could have reached the crash site. Tripp, you asked many great questions.

I think it is a shame the Chinese will not allow JPAC to come in and try to do a recovery.

Thank you for sharing your trip with us Bob. I look forward to the pictures when you get them sorted.
Susan Jimison
Cousin of John Donovan
3rd Squadron

aaatripp

If the local villagers did cut up the wreckage for utilitarian purposes, this would not surprise me as it parallels what was done in the town of Toungoo, Myanmar (Burma).  When the Anglican cemetery which formerly contained the graves of the first three AVG training fatalities (Armstrong, Hammer & Atkinson) was bulldozed in order to build a housing project, many gravestones were removed for use by the locals.  This favored use is....as washboards since the marble is hard/smooth/clean
with no apparent concern that this was someone's gravestone...different cultures!

Thanks, Bob, for the photos.  We await more of your story.....

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

mayor

In reference to Bob Willett's post about the trip to Bejing, he says there were a large group of AVGs there. Since there are only 4 AVG members living, I'm not sure who these other people are, but I can guess they are 14th AF, masquerading as AVG, as usual.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/sep/20/china-gives-soli d-gold-medals-to-5-surviving-flyin/

Edited by mayor : September 21, 2015, 9:51 pm

RLWillett
Mayor-

I don't know anything about the AVG group in Beijing except that I was told there were about 35 in the group which was led by Jeff Greene. The only one I talked to very briefly was Lydia Rossi whose husband was both an AVG pilot and a CNAC pilot like John Dean.

RLWillett
Tripp-

Here are a couple of photos of the museums and monuments that honor American pilots who died in China in WWII. As a member of CNAC Association I am aware that about twenty AVG went to CNAC when AVG was disbanded and many did not go back to the Army. Three of them were killed in China: John J. Dean in 1942, Allen Wright in 1943 cand Einar Mickelsen in 1944. The names of all three are engraved on the marble stones in Nanjing and now in Beijing. I hear that a new museum in Manchuria is a duplicate of the Beijing Civil Aviation Museum in Beijing.

First photo is in the Bejing CNAC display, second is a stone with Jim Browne (my cousin) in Bejing and third is the monument

aaatripp

Mayor, you are correct.  In his Post #81 of Sept. 11th on this thread, Bob mentions the "many AVG" on the trip.

To clarify, one AVG member was on the trip.....3rd Squadron Crew Chief, Frank Losonsky.  Frank is also the President of the AVG Flying Tigers Assn.  There were also approx. 20 AVG family members who were on the trip.  I'm sure Lydia can give us the exact number.  Other AVG family members also traveled to China, but were not on the official trip.  With Jeff Greene's group were other members who are veterans of the WWII CBI theater.

Bob, thanks for your details.  Yes, approx. 20 AVG flew for CNAC after the July 4, 1942 disbandment and 3 (Dean, A. Wright & Mickelson) were lost in crashes.

Thanks to both of you for your efforts to maintain the accurate AVG Flying Tigers history.

Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

To:  Rob Willett:

A group ascended the mountain in the Cangshan mtn. range and came within a short distance of the location of the crash site of CNAC #60.  We may have more info to share with you in the near future about your relative, co-pilot James Browne and pilot John Dean and the Chinese crew radioman, K.L. Yang.

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : February 19, 2016, 10:33 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

NOTICE......please stay tuned for some news updates in connection with the "unknown" AVG Flying Tigers (originally buried in Toungoo, Burma) who are buried at the National Cemetery of the Pacific, "The Punchbowl", in Hawaii.

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

NOTICE......please stay tuned for some news updates in connection with the "unknown" AVG Flying Tigers (originally buried in Toungoo, Burma) who are buried at the National Cemetery of the Pacific, "The Punchbowl", in Hawaii.

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

RLWillett
Wow! I hadn't heard about any expedition to Cang Shan, but am intrigued. Was it the Aug Chen party do you know? He was at the CNAC reunion and said he was going back.

DPAA has scheduled their effort to reach the p[lane for August 14 to Sept 20, 2016, but the Chinese government has still not approved the entry into Yunnan Province. My contact at the Chinese Embassy says he is one of those meeting with the Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs this month and will plead our case.

Wouldn't it be great if all of the Toungoo and Cang Shan Americans came home this year?

Bob

RLWillett
We got bad news from the Army's DPAA. The Chinese have requested that the wreck site of CNAC # 60 (John Dean and my cousin Jim Browne) be closed for any further investigation. It means that the Chinese will not allow the U.S. Army team to enter the Province.

We are investigating raising enough funds to send MIA Recoveries, Inc. on a private expedition.

aaatripp

Sorry to hear this news----wondering if it is for policitical reasons, or internal security?  Also, was this generated by the province or in Beijing?  Very unfriendly action by the Chinese indeed and counter to a role of friendly relations (ie. recovery of war dead).

China is busy expanding & militarizing islands in the South China Sea....are we entering a new "phase" in Chinese diplomacy?

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

RLWillett
It is a strange turn of events since the 70th Anniversary party was a recognition of the importance of the US in China's war against Japan. Their recent message indicates it was because of local officials objection to the search but I was at the wreck in September and were honored with a ceremony and given very emotional support.

It seems that the only real reason is a Beijing strategy to go along with increased international tensions.

aaatripp

Can you share the DPAA message with the members of this Forum?

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

FLASH ALERT re 3 AVG in Toungoo-----

The families of AVG pilots Armstrong, Hammer & Atkinson are receiving word at this moment that the office of the Asst. Secy. of the Army has concurred with the recommendations of the DPAA, based on historical & forensic evidence, and has authorized the exhumation of the skeletal remains of X-633, X-634 & X-635 which have rested since 1948 in the National Cemetery of the Pacific ("The Punchbowl").

All 3 families have submitted DNA samples for comparison and we are indeed hopeful that a match will result.  We will keep the AVG Forum informed as more events unfold----2016 could indeed be the year when we have four Tigers coming home!

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

New info received indicates that 3rd Sqdn crew chief Johhny Fauth was buried in the British cantonment cemetery in Magwe after he was killed during a Japanese strafing attack on the airfield on March 22 ,1942.

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : March 2, 2016, 1:18 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

Please note POST #22 in this thread for the status of the AVG MISSING FLYING TIGERS.

Thank you!
Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

Great news for the Hammer family:

The Hammer family burial plot has been located in Carbondale, IL.  If/when Maax's remains are identified there is now the reality that he can be buried with his parents, grandparents and two uncles.

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

3AVG@Toungoo

Niece of John D. Armstrong
After 75 years, if John Dean Armstrong is positively identified, he will be buried at Fairlawn Cemetery in Hutchinson, Kansas with his parents and grandparents. 

We have two generations of family attending the April DPAA Family Update meeting in Austin.  We are eager to learn of any new information regarding a date for disinterment. 

Thank you for the information about Maax, Tripp.  We remain hopeful for positive results for all three families; Armstrong, Hammer and Atkinson.

Lynn Evans and Karen Beauprie
Maternal Nieces

-----------------------
Lynn Evans

aaatripp

We have heard that it is the wishes of the Atkinson family for Peter William Atkinson to be returned to his family in Martinsburg, West Virginia.

The 3 families are awaiting further word on the progress......

Tripp Alyn, chair

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

RLWillett
Unfortunately, AVG # 4, John J. Dean, is still at a dead end as far DPAA is concerned after the Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs requested that no further efforts be made to recover the wreckage og John's C-47, located on Cang Shan Mountain near Dali. There still is some hope for a joint team to investigate but no efforts are anticipated at this time.

Wish there was more we can do, but my daughter is meeting with the 2nd Secretary of the Embassy's Chinese Embassy to give some added information and push a little more. Guess it can't hurt.

Bob

aaatripp

Bob, need to correct you:  AVG #4

AVG #4 is not John Dean.  It is the actual designation found in documents in the National Archives with respect to the four AVG exhumed from the St. Luke's Anglican Church Cemetery in Toungoo, Burma in 1947 by an Army Graves Registration Service team.  AVG #4 is also known as X-636 and was buried at the Punchbowl National Cemetery of the Pacific in 1948 along with AVG #1,2,3 (X-633, 634, 635).  AVG #4 has not been selected for disinterrment at this time due to forensic reasons.  It may be disinterred at a later date. 

We thought that it might indeed be AVG member Thomas Jefferson Cole of Clayton, MO who was lost on a mission to Moulmein, Burma on Jan. 30, 1942.  Our receipt of a REPORT OF THE DEATH OF AN AMERICAN filed by the American Consul Troy Perkins of the American Consulate in Kunming, China on March 31, 1942 now seems to preclude that possibility since it states that Cole crashed in enemy occupied territory.  As the Imperial Japanese Army advanced and did not yield territory in this stage of its conquest of Burma, it is highly unlikely that Allied forces could have gotten to Cole's crash site to retrieve his remains.  This could have been done only after the Allies retook Burma later in the war.

Another important consideration is the fact that the Japanese occupied Toungoo, Burma on March 19, 1942.  Any AVG deaths after this date would have been buried elsewhere.  All AVG deaths prior to 19 March have been accounted for.....this is the mystery.....who is AVG #4 ??

Any further thoughts from our members?
Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : March 27, 2016, 12:11 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

RLWillett
My error, sorry

aaatripp

Not to worry, Bob.  Just wanted you to have all the details.....

The AVG Flying Tigers Association is still committed to seeing the eventual return of all the missing Tigers.....including the three who were flying for CNAC (Dean, Mikelson and Allen Wright).  We are working with DPAA and will continue to lobby for the search, identification & return of our guys.....that would include your relative, co-pilot James Browne of course.  Don't give up!

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

WE ARE MOVING AHEAD IN THE PROCESS TO RETURN 3 AVG TO THEIR FAMILIES!

The families are being notified this morning that the 3 presumed AVG (AVG #1, X-633) (AVG #2, X-634) (AVG #3, X-635) who have been buried in UNKNOWN graves at the Punchbowl Ntl. Cemetery in Hawaii for the last 67 years are scheduled for disinterrment this coming Monday at 0630 (6:30am local time)......that's 1130 EDT.  The remains will then be taken to the lab for processing.

Thank you for your support over the years and for your kind words to the families!

This event will be almost two years after the families first learned of the possibility that their lost Tigers may have been moved to American soil many years ago and that they could possibly be identified and returned to their families.

Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

Edited by aaatripp : April 9, 2016, 8:08 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

RLWillett
That is such wonderful news and I congratulate you for your patience and your persistence.

Bob

aaatripp

Thanks, Bob.  We must also remember the many family members, government officials and other kind folks who have helped us over at least the last 11 years.  We even had two representatives actually go to Toungoo to search out the cemetery and possible new gravesites for our Tigers.  We did not know at the time that the AVG had already been moved in 1947 !!

Warm thanks & recognition must be given to Mr. Ken Tilley, a retired military historian, who now continues his valuable work as a civilian for our military (and at the former JPAC).

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

AVG Forum Members-----

Just to let you know that, when I meet with US ARMY HRC and DPAA representatives in May in Boston, MA the AVG Flying Tigers Association plans to request an open dialogue with DPAA regarding the status of the 12 other AVG Flying Tigers who have not been returned to their families.  This would certainly include AVG #4 (X-636) who is also buried at the Punchbowl in Hawaii.

FYI, the disinterrments scheduled for Monday morning will be conducted privately and will not be viewable by the public....out of respect for the privacy of the families.

Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

RLWillett
Tripp-

I know you will include John Dean in your discussions, maybe get some feedback on their status with CNAC # 60. The Chinese requested, several months ago that all efforts directed toward recovery be terminated. Then they suggested that a joint DPAA effort with an outside contractor might be considered. Could you see if DPAA is pursuing that at all?

Thanks,

Bob

aaatripp

Certainly, Bob!

CNAC #60 is clearly on our radar scope.

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

ALL AVG FORUM MEMBERS----

We have posted updates to POST #22 on this thread to give you the most recent status on our LOST AVG.

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

With warmest thanks to the officials and staff at the DPAA, Dept. of the Army and U.S. Air Force we are happy to report that the 3 disinterrments took place as scheduled on Monday morning April 11th.

Our group of 3 AVG families was ably represented by Atkinson relatives Patrick & Siri Moore to be present at this very solemn ceremony.  DPAA brass turned out and paid respect to our Tiger loved ones.  We will include photos when they become available.

Now, our lost Tigers' remains are at the Lab and await processing for a DNA comparison with samples that family members have submitted over the past seven years.  Indeed we are hopeful that these remains are our lost Tigers.

Thanks so much to our AVG Forum members for your interest over the years.
Please check POST #22 for the updated status on all lost Tigers.

Warm regards,
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

Edited by aaatripp : April 30, 2016, 4:13 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

One of the challenges facing the staff at The Lab in Hawaii will be the effects of the formalin, used in the embalming process, upon the DNA matching process.

So, the 3 AVG families await word on the status of the DNA process over the coming weeks & months.  The advances in this science give the families reason to be optimistic of success in identifying our AVG relatives.

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

Photo of officials of the DPAA as they salute the 3 AVG from Toungoo at the Punchbowl Cemetery in Hawaii on 11 April 2016.

Photos courtesy of Patrick Moore, Atkinson family member....thank you, Patrick!

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : April 30, 2016, 4:17 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

At the DPAA FMU (Family Member Update) meeting in Boston, MA yesterday the family briefing indicated that samples were drawn from the 3 sets of AVG remains disinterred at the Punchbowl on 11 April.  These samples have been transferred to the AFDIL (Air Force DNA Identification Lab) for processing-----we are hopeful that positive ID results will be reported in the future to our 3 families.  At this time we are removing "AVG #4" from further consideration, as historical & forensic evidence indicates not AVG.

PLEASE NOTE EXTENSIVE UPDATES TO POST #22 WITH LOST AVG STATUS

Edited by aaatripp : May 15, 2016, 2:36 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

Posting four State Dept. documents filed by Consuls in both Rangoon, Burma on December 19, 1941 and Kunming, China on March 31, 1942.  These documents are identified as REPORT OF THE DEATH OF AN AMERICAN CITIZEN.

FYI, whereas military deaths overseas would be reported via the standard military casualty reporting channels, members of the AVG (while operating on their covert mission as volunteers for the Chinese Air Force as civilians working for CAMCO) were classified as civilians and their deaths abroad would be reported on the official State Dept. document attached for the information and use by our AVG Forum members.

The documents related to AVG Flying Tigers personnel:

1.  John Dean Armstrong -  8 Sep 41 training accident, Toungoo, Burma---recovered, buried.
2.  Maax C. Hammer, Jr. - 22 Sep 41 training accident, Toungoo, Burma---recovered, buried.
3.  Peter W. Atkinson      - 25 Oct 41 training accident, Toungoo, Burma---recovered, buried.
4.  Thomas J. Cole          - 30 Jan 42 combat loss, Moulmein, Burma--MIA/KIA (lost behind enemy lines)

Please note that, on Post #22 A MASTER LIST OF ALL AVG LOST IN THE CBI in this thread, there has been an update to #11 on Tom Cole.

Edited by aaatripp : July 31, 2016, 6:09 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

Dear members of the AVG Forum:

Thank you for your continued interest in the events surrounding the disinterment and identification of the remains of the 3 AVG buried in Toungoo, Burma in 1941.

The families of John Dean Armstrong, Maax C. Hammer, Jr. and Peter W. Atkinson are still awaiting word from DPAA regarding the results of the DNA ID process at the AFDIL lab in Nebraska.  We will announce results on this Forum when they are received.

Meanwhile, some updates have been made to our status list which is found at Post #22 in this thread.

Edited by aaatripp : July 31, 2016, 6:15 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

It has now been 5 months and 9 days since the 3 presumed AVG sets of remains were disinterred at the Punchbowl cemetery in Hawaii on April 11, 2016.

The 3 families still await word from DPAA and the Army Casualty Office regarding the ID process at the DNA ID Lab at Dover.  We remain solidly optimistic that we will ultimately receive word of a positive ID on our AVG family members.

Meanwhile, members of the Atkinson & Hammer families will accompany the AVG Family to the Museum of Aviation at Warner Robins AFB on Thursday to view their Tigers among the 27 AVG Portraits which were commissioned by Wm. Pawley (CAMCO) back in the 40s. 

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

Corrected the date of death to 8 Jan 42 for Ken Merritt.  He was sleeping in a car parked near the edge of the runway at Mingaladon Airfield, Rangoon, Burma.  Peter Wright, 2nd Sqdn, was returning from a night interception mission.

As Wright lowered his landing gear a hydraulic line in the cockpit burst, spraying hydraulic fluid into Wright's eyes.  Partially blinded by the fluid, and with that fluid coating the inside of the canopy Wright wrestled to safely land his P-40.  With the car blacked out, Wright could not see him and the P-40 careened into the car, killing Merritt instantly.

Wright, Tex Hill and Ed Rector had many a sleepless night as they personally battled the memories of Merritt's unfortunate death.

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

It has now been 7 months and 9 days since the 3 presumed AVG sets of remains were disinterred at the Punchbowl cemetery in Hawaii on April 11, 2016.

The 3 families still await word from DPAA and the Army Casualty Office regarding the ID process at the DNA ID Lab at Dover.  We still remain optimistic that we will ultimately receive word of a positive ID of our AVG family members.

Members of the Atkinson & Hammer families joined other AVG Family members in a daytrip to the Museum of Aviation at Warner Robins AFB on Sept. 22nd to view their Tigers among the 27 AVG Portraits which were painted back in the 40s. 

It was an emotional moment for me to be standing in front of the portrait of my cousin, Maax Hammer on that day.......exactly 75 years from the date of his crash in the jungle near Toungoo, Burma.

Edited by aaatripp : November 20, 2016, 4:10 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

FLASH........!!

As the AVG Flying Tigers Assn. stated to start this thread on April 22, 2014---

The Flying Tigers Association is pleased to announce:

The families of John Dean Armstrong, Maax C. Hammer, Jr. and Peter William Atkinson  have been notified of the positive identification of the remains of their family members who served with the AVG.  (This includes Ms. Mary Margaret Atkinson, baby sister of Pete Atkinson and last living sibling of the 3 AVG)

These are the remains that were recovered from St. Luke's Anglican Church Cemetery by an Army Graves Registration Service team in 1947, processed in Barrackpore, India and later transferred to the Punchbowl Cemetery on Oahu, Hawaii....where they lay for 67 years as Unknowns (X-633, X-634, X-635).  With the help of many contacts from the three families and assistance from JPAC/DPAA personnel at the numerous Family Member Updates (FMU) over the past many years, DPAA was persuaded to disinter 3 of the 4 graves in question on April 11, 2016.  DNA samples were immediately sent to the DNA ID Lab and the families have been anxiously awaiting news of the results for all this time.....now, with happy results.

The three families of Armstrong, Hammer & Atkinson and indeed the entire AVG Flying Tiger Assn. are very grateful for the diligent work of former JPAC SE Asia historian, Mr. Ken Tilley.  Without his professional expertise, dedication to the lost AVG and their families, and his persistence in plowing through a sadly flawed set of JPAC policies & internal procedures this endpoint would likely never have happened.

Xie, Xie Ken....DING HAO!!  (Thank you Ken....Very Good!!  <in Mandarin>)

To the Army Casualty Office, we say thanks to John Gantz and Greg Gardner in the Past Conflicts Repatriation Branch at Ft. Knox, Kentucky.  Their efforts along with other staff members during the FMUs are much appreciated.  Also to Lt. Gen. Michael S. Linnington, USA (Ret.), former Director of DPAA, we thank you and your staff for their efforts and assistance.  Sir, your leadership moved DPAA to the point where these disinterrments were finally possible...thank you!

And to our dear long lost Tigers, we say with affection----

Armie, Maax & Pete--75 years is a long time, but you're comin' home boys!

Edited by aaatripp : January 5, 2017, 12:16 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

3 Tigers Found!! 3 AVG in Toungoo could be coming Home!
LydiaRossi

Wonderful news!! Many thanks to Tripp Alyn for his diligence in the pursuit of the lost AVG member's remains. And thanks to Ken Tilley for his dedication to solving the mysteries. The FTA is happy and grateful for the work done and for the great results.

aaatripp

Many thanks, Lydia.

ALL:  our Active Working Status Summary is Post #22 on page 2 of this thread.  It has been updated and now shows the ID of the 3 from Toungoo as well as the 12 AVG yet to be returned.  The AVG Flying Tigers Assn. will continue to work with DPAA to locate families of these missing Tigers and to help determine the status and location of their remains.

Edited by aaatripp : January 10, 2017, 3:13 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

MYSTERY----What happened to Tom Cole, Ed Leibolt, Bob Little, Pete Petach & Red Shamblin?? 

We know most of the circumstances of the above combat actions, but welcome additional information...especially related to the disposition of their remains.

Can you help us account for our Lost Tigers?

Also, three AVG pilots (plus CNAC James Browne) lie at CNAC crash sites in China.  Please help us to convince China to open up the sites to DPAA teams to locate & recover the remains of our lost Tigers.

Edited by aaatripp : January 10, 2017, 3:24 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

Charybdis
Wow! This is wonderful news for the families and to finally have closure for these heroes..welcome home!!

aaatripp

FLASH ALERT:

For the purpose of aiding the process of finding, identifying and returning these remaining 12 AVG Flying Tigers we are still trying to find members of the families of the following Lost Tigers:

Neil G. Martin
Robert J. Sandell
Frank W. Swartz
John E. Fauth
Thomas Jefferson Cole, Jr.
Edward J. Leibolt
Robert Laing Little
John E. "Pete" Petach
Arnold "Red" Shamblin
John Dean
Allen M. Wright
Einar I. Mickelson

If you have any info which will help us to contact family members please post at this thread or email me directly (aaatripp@gmail.com) OR have them get in touch with us.  The DPAA has this on their radar scope and, though the door for projects in China seems to be temporarily closed, we want to proceed with finding other Tigers and bringing them home to their families....!

As always, the Flying Tigers Association greatly appreciates your interest in preserving the accurate history of the AVG Flying Tigers.

Edited by aaatripp : January 31, 2017, 10:52 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

We've had some luck in locating family members of some of the 12 missing AVG:

Neil G. Martin
Edward J. Leibolt
John E. "Pete" Petach
Arnold "Red" Shamblin
John Dean

We still need help locating and talking with family members of the following Lost AVG from the CBI Theater of WWII:

Robert J. Sandell
Frank W. Swartz
John E. Fauth

Thomas Jefferson Cole, Jr.
Robert Laing Little
Allen M. Wright
Einar I. Mickelson

Any assistance from members of the AVG Forum and AVG community would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Edited by aaatripp : March 16, 2017, 9:22 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

PLEASE NOTE:  Post #22 has been updated on our active status list of our Lost AVG to reflect the burials of Maax Hammer and Peter Atkinson with their families in Illinois and West Virginia respectively.  In 5 weeks John Armstrong will be brought home to KS.

R.I.P. Maax and PW. 

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
robertm, Shawn, worldraft, dlmitx81, basketweaver, aaatripp, Highlander, BradSmith, BillC, mayor, LydiaRossi, dwfoster, marathondon, wildbi111, BenL, 3AVG@Toungoo, Radar21, RickDaniel, Charybdis, TomPandolfi, Bartelt, AlanL, TigerNephew, susan_jimison, RLWillett, CarolePetach, SilverDollar, jenholik, noman, tibor, MikeM1960, Miha, a2jacketpatches, GregLeibolt, Lincoln, LuannDolan, mickelman, paultax2, markeyismarc, n2whd, mcintoe, PetesNephew, ljingya, MGHeath, Burl, JackYao, Jmalford, jpstout, kkennedy, bobavg, MStratton, sparks, Tiger5, AHerbert, Richards, bumpa

Users viewing this topic
2 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : 3 Tigers Found!! 3 AVG in Toungoo could be coming Home!