Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Gregg or Turk a Flying Tiger

Threaded Mode | Print  

Gregg or Turk a Flying Tiger, Trying to Verify if he was a Flying Tiger Member (5 Replies, Read 8906 times)
ksiemb
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
North Olmsted, Cleveland, Ohio: I once had a neighbor who always wore a WWII Leather Pilot's jacket with lots of patches , and recall him talking of the Flying Tigers. I do not know his last name, unfortunately, but his first name was Greg, or Gregg, and his nickname was "Turk". One of his traits was that he was one of the foulest talking persons I have ever met ! After the War, he retired as a Boiler Maker.  Any way to track this limited info back to the Squadron Rosters ?
IP: --   

Gregg or Turk a Flying Tiger
Lincoln
Post Group: Working Newbie
I work for a Cargill Salt Plant in St. Clair, MI, been to North Olmstedt twice visiting Cargill De-Icing Technology sites. 

I can find no reference to a "Gregg."  The only Greg I know of was Gregory Boyington who would have been "Rats" with the AVG (After an Actor named Ratoff) whom he supposedly resembled.

From the home page there are links to the AVG Rosters, I didn't find him there either, this doesn't mean he wasn't there.  A number of people signed up and left early and did not complete their service, I think they are not carried on the roster.

LydiaRossi
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Elite Member

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
Actually we do have a complete list at our website, even those who left early, did not complete their contract, or were kicked out by Chennault. You can check the list at this link:
http://www.flyingtigersavg.com/index.php/rosters-of-the-avg/63-c omplete-roster-of-the-flying-tigers-avg
Those with ** by their name were one of the above.

ksiemb
Post Group: Newbie
Lincoln & Lydiarossi: Thank you both for info on the Roster.

aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
To add to what Lydia has posted here......yes, our posted roster at that link is the complete roster.  The very first two to leave the AVG "jumped ship" in Singapore and never made it to the Port of Rangoon, Burma (they are Durbin & Dyson).  There were interesting "lists" and reports submitted by Chennault back to the States to report those who "left early".  In some cases Chennault even considered this departure desertion during wartime.....

It is indeed true that some joined the AVG to get out of the military.

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee
AVG Flying Tigers Association

mayor
Post Group: Working Member

If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong
Tripp, I would imagine that those folks got weeded out pretty early.

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
dlmitx81, aaatripp, mayor, LydiaRossi, BenL, TomPandolfi, Lincoln, ksiemb

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Gregg or Turk a Flying Tiger