Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Robert Duke Hedman USA 1st Ace

Threaded Mode | Print  

Robert Duke Hedman USA 1st Ace, About Robert Hedman (3 Replies, Read 7458 times)
HellsAngel
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
I am wondering who or if anyone can put me in contact with Robert Hedman Family...  Here's a run down....  I have a big collection of WW2 militaria, and a nice collection of AVG. I've talked to numerous AVG, And 14th AF.  Tex Hill, Erik Shilling I sent him a nice record he loved it, Leo Schramm, who was Dukes Hedman crew chief...  Ok so, long ago, maybe 12 years my father got a job for a friend. In return, he gave him a Flying Tiger jacket, flight jacket. On the front, the name R. PLEASE.  Hedman...  Robert Peter...  Its has a giant Walt Disney FT logo. It also has 7 meatballs ( former AVG said that Duke routinely accepted 7 victories, although his crew chief said he didn't give himself enough credit)  Let's see...  On the back is a blood chit, real, because it had the blue code with serial number which all real blood chits had.  Also, here's the cool part...  On the inside pocket is a folder out SILK map of China Burma India,  I wouldn't think a. Reproduction would have a silk map...  His crew chief seems to think its real, the stitching matches up,  my buddy 14th AF Jim Dumas, Tex Hills wingman loved it. Also Flying Tiger Lines, collector founded by Hedman, flew out of long beach, and Erik Shilling said his son may have sold it for drugs...  Awesome jacket from first USA Ww2 Ace. From Webster, SD, BUT died in Vegas...  Any help would be nice, Adam, Chowchilla, CA. adam420Weaver@gmail.com
IP: --   

Robert Duke Hedman USA 1st Ace
HellsAngel
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
Here it is

LydiaRossi
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Elite Member

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
Sorry but I can't see your image. Would love to have a look at it.

aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
1st American Ace in WWII?

Duke Hedman of the AVG was certainly one of the very first American "Aces-in-a-day" when he met the Japanese over Rangoon, Burma on Christmas Day 1941.  And....Hedman was flying for the AVG in service of the Chinese Air Force.  However, he was not the 1st American ace, as that title would go to either Bill Dunn or Boyd "Buzz" Wagner depending on how you look at it......

Bill Dunn, an American flying with the No. 71 Sqdn (Eagle Sqdn) of the RAF downed 5 German a/c in July-Aug 1941 BEFORE Pearl Harbor.

Also, Boyd "Buzz" Wagner, flying with the 17th Pursuit Sqdn. in the Philippines downed 5 Japanese a/c around Dec 16-18, 1941 AFTER Pearl Harbor, and in the service with the US Army Air Force.

Some have claimed that Lt. Edward "Butch" O'Hare was the first US ace, but his tally didn't come until action in the Pacific on Feb. 20, 1942.

Hope this clarifies some details on "who was first".

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee
Flying Tigers Association

Edited by aaatripp : October 30, 2013, 6:09 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee
AVG Flying Tigers Association

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
Shawn, worldraft, dlmitx81, aaatripp, Highlander, BradSmith, BillC, LydiaRossi, BenL, AlanL, rjm65, a2jacketpatches, HellsAngel, markeyismarc, THsiao, Blue

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Robert Duke Hedman USA 1st Ace