Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Zero or Nakajima

Threaded Mode | Print  

Zero or Nakajima, Planes Japanese flew (7 Replies, Read 9855 times)
susan_jimison
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
I have a question: What planes were the Japanese flying when they fought against the AVG? I have letters that say they were Zero's. Need to have it correct in my upcoming book Through the Eyes of a Tiger: The John Donovan Story.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Susan
IP: --   

Zero or Nakajima
BenL
The AVG did not meet the Zero in combat!  They did encounter the Nakajima KI-43 "Oscar" which they mistook for the Zero in addition the Nakajima KI-27 "Nate", Mitsubishi KI -21 "Sally", Mitsubishi KI-46 "Dinah", Mitsubishi KI-15, Kawasaki KI-45 "Toryu", Kawasaki KI-48 "Lilly", Mitsubishi KI-30" Ann", and possibly the Nakajima KI-44 "Shoki".

Please let us know when your book comes out.

Zero or Nakajima
susan_jimison
Thanks Ben. That really helps. And yes, I will post when it is out. August is the plan. Thanks again.

Zero or Nakajima
SilverDollar
Post Group: Elite Member
Thanks from me also.  I heard that the AVG never went up against zero but I've read in a number of articles that they did.  I'm glad you set us straight on that.  I'm tired of being told I'm wrong without backup.  Now I have backup.

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

Zero or Nakajima
SilverDollar
Thanks from me also.  I heard that the AVG never went up against zero but I've read in a number of articles that they did.  I'm glad you set us straight on that.  I'm tired of being told I'm wrong without backup.  Now I have backup.

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

Zero or Nakajima
aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
This excellent topic was moved to the PUBLIC area as it is a Tiger specific discussion.  Thanks for posting this Susan!

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, Historian
AVG Flying Tigers Association

Zero or Nakajima
LydiaRossi
Group: Moderator

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
I remember hearing AVG members talking about this subject, including my husband. Not much was known at the time about the different distinctions of Japanese fighters, not even to our military. "Zero" was a general term used to identify a Japanese fighter.  Some armchair "historians" have berated the AVG for not even knowing the planes they were in battle with, but as I said, no one did at the time, but they did know a bad guy when they saw him.

Zero or Nakajima
SilverDollar
When it comes down to brass tacks, if there is a big meatball on the wings, who cares what you call it.  You have to cut it down before it does the same to you. 

-----------------------

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
Shawn, aaatripp, BillC, LydiaRossi, BenL, susan_jimison, SilverDollar, jpstout

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Zero or Nakajima