Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : #75 Bill Reed's Aircraft

Threaded Mode | Print  

#75 Bill Reed's Aircraft, Mythbusters? (5 Replies, Read 9457 times)
Lincoln
Group: Member
Post Group: Working Newbie
I have read that Curtiss did not put the National Markings on the Aircraft before they left the factory.  Yet I see P-40 models with AVG Markings and the English Roundels on the wings all the time.  Can someone confirm or deny that #75 had the English Roundels?  Why would they not paint over them when they applied the Chinese Markings.  And wouldn't the Brit's in Rangoon said something about it when the AVG was training in Burma?
IP: --   

#75 Bill Reed's Aircraft
mickelman
Post Group: Newbie
Have you ever seen a photo of an actual AVG Tomahawk with roundels?  I can't remember one.

#75 Bill Reed's Aircraft
Lincoln
Thomas A. Tullis' Tigers Over China; The Aircraft of the AVG Pg 61 has a Picture of the #75 Aircraft, it's black and white, and the sun is shining on the wing, there are two circles that are there if you look hard.

#75 Bill Reed's Aircraft
aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
For the AVG, there were no roundels in the traditional sense (concentric colored circles like the British or French versions).  However, there were certainly round Chinese Air Force emblems on the top & bottom of the wings of the AVG aircraft.
The AVG insignia/markings appeared on the fuselage:  shark-mouth (Nov & Dec) thanks to Charlie Bond & Eric Shilling; winged tiger leaping through the blue Victory V thanks to the Walt Disney Co.; and squadron insignias thanks to squadron artists.

The 12-pointed star adorns the white and light blue emblems.  Later, for the USAAF aircraft of the 23FG/CATF and 14AF you will see the US "roundel" of the 5-pointed star.  The CAF 12-pointed star reappears later....on the CAF aircraft assigned to the Chinese-American Composite Wing (14AF).

R.T. Smith's book TALE OF THE TIGER has some excellent photos of some of the P-40Es which the AVG ferried on that incredible trip from Africa to Kunming, China in the spring of '42.  On the fuselage is the USAAF roundel with the 5-pointed star.  These would have been painted over for their tenure in the AVG for the remaining time up until disbandment on July 4, 1942.

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : September 28, 2015, 10:56 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, Historian
AVG Flying Tigers Association

#75 Bill Reed's Aircraft
Lincoln
Tripp,  do you have the Tullis book?  I agree with everything you're saying, and it coincides with everything I've read.  I've been on the Flying Tigers Face Book Page and see yet again a #75 with RAF Roundels with the Chinese White Sun sort of Overlapping.  Everything I've read said that Curtiss did not apply national markings at the Factory, they were always added by the owning Country on arrival.  This matches also what I've read of the H-75s delivered to the French.

The only thing that's casting any doubt in my mind is the picture on page 61 of Tigers Over China its not an easy thing to see and the sun is shining on the wing of a grainy black and white photograph.

#75 Bill Reed's Aircraft
aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
Sorry, do not have the Tullis book.  Will take a look at the FB page photo of #75.

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, Historian
AVG Flying Tigers Association

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
aaatripp, BillC, BenL, susan_jimison, RLWillett, Lincoln, mickelman, jpstout

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : #75 Bill Reed's Aircraft