Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Flying Tiger locations in Kunming

Threaded Mode | Print  

Flying Tiger locations in Kunming, Trying to visit locations in Kunming (6 Replies, Read 17774 times)
Ewing27617
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
All,

Not sure if you can help me but I am living in Kunming and would like to visit some of the locations where the AVG were located. Any still around? I did visit the excellent Flying Tigers exhibit in the Kunming Museum...

I also visited the Hump Bar which has been redone and is now more dedicated to the Flying Tigers and "the Hump" pilots.

Any good ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,
Rob

IP: --   

Flying Tiger locations in Kunming
Lincoln
Post Group: Working Newbie
I believe Hostel #1 is still standing, it was a school for Girls before the AVG arrived, I served another purpose after the war.  I am not sure where it's located.

Ewing27617
Thanks Lincoln!

Ewing27617
Was the airport used the old Kunming Airport? Does anyone know?

RLWillett
We were in Kunming in 2010 and even went to the far end of the one runway. We were told it is the same runway used in WWII by all the units AVG, CNAC, RAF, etc.

JackYao
There is an organization by the name of "Yunnan Flying Tigers Research Association" from Kunming, Yunnan Province of China.  They had organized a Flying Tigers exhibit being held in six different cities in the US during the last couple of weeks.  I was invited by one of their people when they came to Chicago had a one day exhibit and performance on July 19, 2015.  Apparently the exhibit wasn't well publicized and not too many people knew about it (including myself).

Anyway, the website and their contact info is as follows:

www.china-avg.com
0871-5646430
Ms. Wei Xiuning (deputy vice president)

aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
Thanks for this info, Jack.  We've heard about these presentations.  A pity that our organization was not informed of the activities and schedule well enough in advance to properly announce and promote attendance at these events by AVG Forum members and supporters of the AVG.

Perhaps in the future we'll have advance notice.

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee
AVG Flying Tigers Association

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
Shawn, aaatripp, BradSmith, BillC, LydiaRossi, BenL, TomPandolfi, TigerNephew, susan_jimison, RLWillett, SilverDollar, AFDoc, Lincoln, markeyismarc, JackYao, Ewing27617, Jmalford, jpstout

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Flying Tiger locations in Kunming