Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Gold Medals from the Chinese?

Threaded Mode | Print  

Gold Medals from the Chinese? (16 Replies, Read 23307 times)
mayor
Group: Member
Post Group: Working Member

If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong
Some of those that received medals were not AVG....

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/sep/20/china-gives-soli d-gold-medals-to-5-surviving-flyin/
IP: --   

Gold Medals from the Chinese?
aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
Mayor...the link does not work...can you repost?

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee
AVG Flying Tigers Association

mayor

Lets try it again....

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/sep/20/china-gives-soli d-gold-medals-to-5-surviving-flyin/

Edited by mayor : September 22, 2015, 9:41 am

mayor

Don't know what's wrong.........seems to want to put a space in the word "solid" when I submit it.......Perhaps if you did a search at the site's link.

How about this......

China gives solid gold medals to 5 surviving Flying Tigers
By - Associated Press - Sunday, September 20, 2015
MONROE, La. (AP) - China has given solid gold medals to five surviving members of the Flying Tigers, a volunteer fighter group formed in China before the United States entered World War II.

“The Flying Tigers is the trailblazer of China-U.S. cooperation,” Li Qiangmin, consul general of the People’s Republic of China in Houston, told people gathered Saturday at the Chennault Aviation and Military Museum in Monroe. “With the blood we shed together, we achieved the victory against Japan and built the new world order which aimed to bring peace and prosperity to all mankind.”

Richard Sherman, Frank Burnside and J.V. Vineyard were able to attend the ceremony, The News-Star (http://tnsne.ws/1NMyv7X ) reported. Charles Baisden’s son, Daniel Baisden, and Carl Kice Brown’s daughter, Becky Brown-Hogan, accepted medals for their fathers.

Charlie Yao, president and CEO of Yuhuang Chemical Co., gave the museum $10,000.

Li, Yao, Wang Jinshu, chairman of Shandong Yuhuang Chemical Co. Ltd. and U.S. Rep. Ralph Abraham presented the medals.

The ceremony also opened “Way of a Fighter,” an exhibit based on the 1949 memoir by Gen. Claire Lee Chennault, who created the group while a civilian adviser to the nationalist Chinese government.

The museum reverted to the parish this year after being part of the secretary of state’s museum network for more than a decade.

___

Information from: The News-Star, http://www.thenewsstar.com

Copyright © 2015 The Washington Times, LLC.

Edited by mayor : September 22, 2015, 9:50 am

aaatripp

Thanks, mayor.

Hmm....Sherman, Burnside & Vineyard are being passed off as Flying Tigers.

Wonder what Dick Rossi, Tex Hill, R.T. Smith and other Tigers would have had to say about all this?  What baffles me is how those guys can stand up there and accept this...??  This is only happening now, after most of the Tigers are gone.
There is only the AVG Flying Tigers Association and those who know and support accurate history to maintain the legacy.

At least the CAMMLA invited the AVG to participate in this event and the Baisden and Carl Brown families were represented there.

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

mayor

Perhaps the Chinese have a different idea of the AVG than we do......maybe they think that it just continued on when the Army took over, whereas, we are using the July 1942 date as the cutoff.

However, that doesn't excuse those that perpetuate the myth that the 14th AF was also the Flying Tigers.

Had someone on another site, today, say that Chennault gave the 14th AF permission to use the name after the AVG disbanded. Anyone else heard this?

aaatripp

Please note this link to Lydia Rossi's article on the use of the Flying Tiger name.
It will help people to understand the timing and sequencing regarding this problem which has been created by unauthorized use of the Flying Tiger name:

http://www.forums.flyingtigersavg.com/index.php?tid=581

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

SilverDollar
Post Group: Elite Member
I saw this on the AVG Facebook page.  I was one of those that looked up the 5 award winners on the AVG roster and the roster in Charlie Bond's book including those not honorably discharged.  On another post on the same site, one of the members there explained to me that the Chinese felt that every American that came over was a Flying Tiger.  The names they had exceeded 2,000 members.  After he explained everything, my response to him was "Try telling that to an original AVG member and see what his response is".  He then explained to me that's how the Chinese saw it regardless of what we say.  Needless to say, that was my last post there.

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

mayor

SilverDollar......is it THIS FB group??

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AVGflyingtigers/

If so, I'm an admin for that group. If someone comes up with that sort of explanation, I do my best to refute it. I left two other groups on FB, like that that wouldn't understand my thoughts on this.

Edited by mayor : September 22, 2015, 9:02 pm

SilverDollar
No, definitely not this site.  I don't see that post anywhere on your site. 

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

mayor

That was probably one of the groups that I left after getting in an argument with another member over why his relative was in the 14th AF, but was NOT a Flying Tiger. I could see that there wasn't much use hanging around with that kind of attitude.

SilverDollar
The kind of attitude I seem to have run into was "Well, the Chinese believe everyone who defended them over there was a Flying Tiger so why try to get them to think otherwise". 

-----------------------

aaatripp

Sorry to see people caving in and just giving up.  If we don't continue efforts to preserve the AVG Flying Tigers history.....it will fade and be absorbed by public misconceptions.

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

mayor

Tripp, some of the ones with that attitude are the ones that have friends or relatives in the 14th AF, etc., but have portrayed themselves as being AVG and/or Flying Tigers. It's up to us to keep the history right and like it should be.

aaatripp

The Flying Tigers thank you........

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
Shawn, aaatripp, BillC, mayor, LydiaRossi, BenL, 3AVG@Toungoo, RickDaniel, susan_jimison, RLWillett, SilverDollar, crj2

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Gold Medals from the Chinese?