Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : Here We Go Again

Threaded Mode | Print  

Here We Go Again (4 Replies, Read 15594 times)
SilverDollar
Group: Member
Post Group: Elite Member
I just bought the November issue of a military modeling magazine that I found in my local hobby shop.  They're showing how to build an AVG P-40B.  The thing is they included a brief history of the AVG in the article.  In said article, they stated that the AVG racked up 286 Japanese aircraft destroyed and then they said it was really only 115 planes according to the Japanese records.  I think whoever wrote the article was getting his info out of the "Book That Shall Not Be Mentioned" by the "Author Who Shall Not Be Mentioned".  I think I'll rename him Voldemort.  Oooops.  I think I'm not supposed to mention that name either.  :-x  :xd:  :angel:  Sorry.  I saw a Harry Potter movie last night.  :P 

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.
IP: --   

Here We Go Again
LydiaRossi
Group: Moderator

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
Interesting that someone would take the number of victories from "Japanese records" when there weren't any. The Japanese were very good at destroying all of their war records when they saw they were losing the war. Even 'the author who will not be mentioned' admitted that he got his information regarding the victories from interviews that he conducted with Japanese veterans, 40 years after the end of the war! This was done over the telephone with the help of an interpreter .... he did not meet with them. He has said "They had no reason to lie!"
The AVG have written combat reports conducted/verified at the time, which are in the records at the Hoover Institute at Stanford University. Many writers have researched these records and have come up with the number of 296 victories. All except one.

Here We Go Again
SilverDollar
That's exactly what I'm talking about.  It's such a shame when you see articles, especially in a military oriented magazine, that are way historically incorrect even when there are plenty of good sources available they can consult.  It's unfortunate that even the fact checkers miss the mark as well as the author and editor. 

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

Here We Go Again
BillC
The Japanese "had no reason to lie"? Oh brother! Apparently the Smithsonian Press' character assassin didn't get the memo concerning the legendary Japanese concern with 'saving face'. A ludicrous and laughable statement. The Japanese records that survived were fragmentary at best and in no way could they be considered sufficient to make such a specious claim. That 'author' had a very specific agenda and a scarcity of supporting facts were not going to deter him. I consider the book to be a black mark against the Smithsonian along with it's recasting of the Enola Gay mission as something to be ashamed of.

Here We Go Again
aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
Well said all.....

The vigil goes on....to make sure that those who come along as \"authorities\" on various subjects do not create a false history.  Can you imagine that many young people now get their history of Pearl Harbor from that travesty which starred Ben Affleck?  Disney was more concerned with making $$s than with telling the right story & honoring those who sacrificed so much.  The movies MIDWAY and TORA, TORA, TORA did a much better job of getting the facts right (although some historians have a problem with MIDWAY too).

As for the proposed infamous Smithsonian exhibit of the Enola Gay for the 1995 anniversary of the end of WWII.....it really brought out the veterans in a firestorm that eventually led to the dismissal of the Smithsonian director who proposed that exhibit which was to feature only the fuselage of Enola Gay and would have had an apologetic tone for our \"war crimes\" against the citizens of Hiroshima & Nagasaki!!  (can you believe THAT)  The Air Force Assn. and many veterans were stirred to action and one blessed result was that many veterans
wrote books and gave oral histories to set the record straight...WHY?...because
"they were there".

BTW, if you look at the AVG final acctg. and take the grand total paid by China for Japanese aircraft destroyed by the AVG and divide by $500 you'll get 297.

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : November 26, 2011, 4:49 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, Historian
AVG Flying Tigers Association

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
ForumAdmin, Shawn, worldraft, aaatripp, Highlander, BradSmith, BillC, LydiaRossi, marathondon, BenL, 3AVG@Toungoo, Bartelt, RLWillett, SilverDollar, annwetherell, gemiller111, tomgallagher, Peter, AlfieWallis, StephenLoane

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : Here We Go Again