Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : "Long Lost" Flying Tigers

Threaded Mode | Print  

"Long Lost" Flying Tigers, Incoming Search Requests (13 Replies, Read 10706 times)
LydiaRossi
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Elite Member

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
growing up as a child, we had a neighbor who always intrigued me. he had a mustache, always wore a golf/baseball cap, walked his persian cat everyday, and had a neat of vintage car with plates that read: mr ace.
one day i asked him what that meant and he told me he had been a flying tiger and only briefly explained it to me.
it's only now as an adult that i wish i'd known how special he was. i knew i liked him but who knew?!
i would give anything to know what his name was again, and to read about him in particular.
if you can help me with this i'd be so grateful!
we lived on ogden dr, and i believe he did as well, or perhaps on hollywood blvd just off of ogden dr. in hollywood, ca. he appeared to be single, and was probably at least 55 or 60 back in the 80s.
thanks for any help with this you can muster and thanks for the work you do!
sincerely, lily b zaga
IP: --   

"Long Lost" Flying Tigers
LydiaRossi

I am searching for information about  my father, Henry Charles Bush,born 1916 Chicago,  who  served in WWII in India, in the US Air Force. He left a captain. I think he was in the Flying Tigers , perhaps as a mechanic. It had to do with air support for flights over China. He was not a pilot.
Thank you.

LydiaRossi

My Dad served on the Flying Tigers Air Force Squadron, he passed away in 2002. He, has a military service, where the flag was folded and taps was played. I go, onto these websites to find my father's name, and he is not listed. I wondered, why that is. Some, of his photos, the Flying Tigers Flag, and medals were submitted to the Military Museum in Fort Sheridan, in Northbrook, Il. as I understand it. Enlighten, me please. thank, you..

LydiaRossi

My uncle Lloyd V. Mathis (1919~2000) was a member of the Flying Tigers, posted to China during WWII.  I have his artifacts from his service, including a collection of b&w photos, some of General Chenault, etc.  I wondered if perhaps your organization would like to have the photos uploaded for your website use.  My uncle's biography is on Ancestry.com at http://person.ancestry.com/tree/89954346/person/80004612901/gall ery.  Thanks, Pat Childress

LydiaRossi

Hello, I did recently, come across. My wife's Mother personal photos and discovered about 60 personal war photos from a Lee E. Kizer serving in China during
World War II. Included in the pictures is a line up
of the P-40's in China. Is anyone interested in copies
of these photos? Thanks

LydiaRossi

Greetings, my name is James Coy and I am  the grandson of Major John Leo McDonald of the 14th Airforce. I have a few questions. Where is the plane my grandfather navigated the Nip Nipper? Why was my grandfather in South America during the war?

LydiaRossi

My father Edmund Deutsch (no middle initial;now deceased) served as an aerial reconnaissance photographer with the Flying Tigers in China-Burma-India. He vividly remembered playing softball with General (later) Claire Chennault. He then flew as a photographer in B-29's and photographed the nuclear blast at Eniwetok Atoll. I have the picture he considered his masterpiece. A Chinese grandfather holding his grandson who is holding a picture of his father, who is away in the army. Dad later cross-trained into IBM Accounting and retired after 20 years as a tech seargent in the USAF.

Dad never liked to talk about the war, but I have no reason to believe that he was not in China Burma India with the Flying Tigers. I wondered why his name is missing from your roster. Is there anywhere that this could be further researched?
Thank you for your attention

LydiaRossi

Hello, I am the son of Harland Graham who was involved very much with the Flying Tigers. I have photos and other material that I think my Dad would want me to share with you. John

LydiaRossi

Who can I contact to find out if my 1st Cousin was in the flying tigers? I was told  that he was. he come back & was killed at Abaline TX in a aircraft accident in Dec 16 1944.  There was a story in the Blytheville Ark. Courier A out him being shot down & had to walk back to his base.
If he was there can you tell me the story on him. I was 10 years old when he was killed.

LydiaRossi

I recently discovered your website but was disappointed to find my grandfather's name wasn't on the roster.  I grew up listening to stories he told about his adventures in Burma and looking at photos in the album my grandmother maintained to corroborate stories that sounded like the adventures of Indiana Jones.  I've read somewhere there was a fire that damaged some of the records, and was wondering if that would explain why my grandfather's name wasn't appearing in your roster?

LydiaRossi

Hello!

My grandfather was a pilot who during World War 2 who I grew up my whole life being told was a Flying Tiger. He had a leather jacket with the Tigers patch and told all us kids that that was his outfit, though he never told us stories about his combat experience. He died in the 90's, well before the internet, but I've been scouring AVG stories and websites trying to find some mention of his name to figure out if he really was a Tiger, and can't find any info on him being attached to the AVG at all.

His name was Thomas Patrick Huston out of the Philadephia area, and he flew in both WW2 and Korea. Do you know if there were any unofficial Tigers, Tigers not recognized on the official rolls, or if there may have been others who for some reason history has forgotten?

Thanks very much,

Derek Hutchison

LydiaRossi

My Grandfather, Joseph Bohnett Powers, was supposed to have served with the AVG in Burma. I have his photo, his dogtags and several patches from his uniform. Is there any way to find out more about his service?
I served 20 years in the Air Force, and am very interested in our history.

LydiaRossi

Does anyone remember my Grand Aunt Jeanette"Tex"Gleason? She was an Army Flight nurse assigned to the 803rd AES at Kunming following Pearl Harbor.
She jumped from her AES DC-3 and her crew on a flight somewhere back{lost} to Kunming after fuel ran out. After roaming around the mountains for a few days, she was picked up by some villagers and RTB. Jeanette passed in March and was buried in Riverside Ca. I never met Jeanette but my Mother passed this little story on to me when I was young. I had a portrait of her in uniform and was so proud of her being assigned to the AVG and patching up the pilots. If any photos are available, please scan me and email them if you would be so kind.

Kind regards,

S/Sgt. Charles Hermes,

LydiaRossi

Flying Tigers AVG: Col (deceased) Armit William Lewis
Inbox
x

Flying Tigers AVG <lydia.stargraphics@gmail.com>
Aug 8 (2 days ago)

to me

This message may not have been sent by: lydia.stargraphics@gmail.com  Learn more  Report phishing
This is an enquiry email via http://www.flyingtigersavg.com/ from:

I am the son of Armit Lewis and would like to know more of his involvement with the flying tigers. Thank you.

Lydia Rossi

I'm sorry but we have no record of Armit Lewis as a member of the...
4:24 PM (21 hours ago)

6:26 PM (19 hours ago)

to me
Thank you Lydia.

He was in the 3rd fighter group of the 14th.  He started at Randolph Field as an instructor and then was "accepted" by Bill Reed. Guess he was not "AVG", but flew P40 Flying Tigers in china and had mechanical trouble and was assisted by the Nationalist Chinese behind enemy lines. 

So is it correct to say he was a Flying Tiger? 

Thank you.

It depends on who you ask. If you ask 90% of the 14th Air Force people they would say he was a Flying Tiger.
But you are asking me.
I will direct you to a long message I wrote in the AVG forum on this subject. You will have to register in order to view the scans I put up with it.
Hope you enjoy reading it.
Lydia Rossi

http://www.forums.flyingtigersavg.com/index.php?tid=581

Edited by LydiaRossi : August 10, 2016, 3:41 pm

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
worldraft, aaatripp, BillC, LydiaRossi, BenL, 3AVG@Toungoo, RLWillett, hc8mm, AFDoc, Jmalford, Tiger5

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : "Long Lost" Flying Tigers