Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : William Loeffler - Film Producer "A Call to Glory"

Threaded Mode | Print  

William Loeffler - Film Producer "A Call to Glory", AVG movie (3 Replies, Read 4475 times)
otheravgbob
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
Several of us met William Loeffler (Producer of "A Call to Glory") back in 1996 at the Mid Atlantic WW2 Weekend show, attended by Dick & Lydia, Ed Rector, Charlie Mott, Pete Wright, Chuck Baisden, Bob Bergen and myself. Bill Loeffler gave me a script (draft) he'd written for an AVG movie he wanted to do. I was thinking of him recently and wondered if anyone knew anything of his whereabouts these days, or what became of his AVG film concept.
Has anyone heard anything about him?

Edited by otheravgbob : March 12, 2014, 3:25 pm

-----------------------
Bob Macchione
IP: --   

William Loeffler - Film Producer "A Call to Glory"
LydiaRossi
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Elite Member

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
Hi Bob,
What I remember about William Loeffler's movie script was that he submitted it to Dick for his comments and it was so made up/inaccurate that Dick had to tell him he didn't like it.
That has been a continuing problem with the scripts that we have seen over the years. Apparently the writers don't think the real story is interesting enough. Let's see .... young handsome men, WW2 music (Slow Boat To China e.g.) high adventure, war torn cities, death and destruction, aerial combat, victory, best record of any air combat unit, exotica, romance, Madame Chiang.... square jawed, smart, experienced commander................
Yeah, just not enough..........

otheravgbob
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
Hi Lydia,
I wondered. Must say I thought Bill was given to treating the subject matter with more care for its authenticity.
How nice to see your name and to hear from you. I agree completely; there's plenty of drama, intrigue and adventure to compose an exciting script from the actual events the AVG-ers lived over there. No need to invent, and dilute the credibility of their story.
I hope you're keeping well ... I think of all of you regularly (those with us and those not).  Those little boys you met of 6 and 8 are now college graduates and in the working world as engineers.
Glad to hear from you.
Best Regards,
Bob

-----------------------
Bob Macchione

LydiaRossi
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Elite Member

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
Hi Bob,
I don't think I ever read the script so I can't say what the problem was. Usually there was great leaps of imagination, making up events that never happened.  We have also seen that in articles and at least one book.
So glad that your boys have turned out so well. Our son is also an engineer working in San Diego.

Edited by LydiaRossi : March 13, 2014, 1:33 pm

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
robertm, worldraft, BillC, mayor, LydiaRossi, BenL, Radar21, Lincoln, markeyismarc, otheravgbob, ljingya

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : William Loeffler - Film Producer "A Call to Glory"