Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : AVG - Flying Cadets in 1940

Threaded Mode | Print  

AVG - Flying Cadets in 1940, 1940 Census information reveals future AVG (17 Replies, Read 83965 times)
aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
The recently released 1940 Census (of April '40) shows 16 future AVG amongst the many Flying Cadets at Randolph Field and Kelly Field, Texas (San Antonio). 

The names of Flying Cadets who would later be recruited into the American Volunteer
Group (AVG) and transported by ship to Burma in 1941 as civilian employees of CAMCO (Central Aircraft Mfg. Co.) are:

Atkinson, Peter W.
Baugh, Marion F.
Bolster, Harry R.
Burgard, George T.
Cross, James D.
Dupouy, Parker S.
Farrell, John W.
Greene, Paul J.
Harris, David H.
Hammer, Maax C. Jr.
Leibolt, Edward J.
Little, Robert L.
Loane, Ernest W. Jr.
Martin, Neil G.
Sawyer, Charles W.
Shamblin, Arnold W.

I will continue to search the records for other names.  Does anyone have addtl. info. about the previous bases for any AVG recruits?  Thanks!
Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : June 5, 2012, 9:05 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee
AVG Flying Tigers Association
IP: --   

AVG - Flying Cadets in 1940
BillC
Group: Member
Post Group: Elite Member
Tripp, You may recall that some time ago, I had posted a number of photos from Pensacola NAS. Photos were scanned from several years of  'The Flight Jacket', the station's 'yearbook'. 1940 was a banner year. Dick Rossi, Noel Bacon, Gil Bright, Carl Brown, Ed Conant, John Dean, John Donovan, Ben Foshee, Hank Geselbracht, Tommy Haywood, Ken Jernstedt, Tom Jones, Bob Layher, Chuck Older, Johnny Petach, Ed Rector, Freeman Ricketts, Joe Rosbert, Frank Swartz, Fritz Wolf, and  Peter Wright were members of the class of 1940, If you'll do a search with 'Flight Jacket' and 'Pensacola', along with 'BillC' as the poster, you should find all of those pictures/posts.

aaatripp

Bill, thanks for the list.  Other demands limit my "research" time and all I need at present is the location and a simple list.  Thank you for providing that in your post.

Does anyone else have any data on early training/recruiting sites for AVG?  Thanks.

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

BillC
Tripp, Pensacola Class of 1941: Bill Bartling, Link Laughlin, Cliff Groh, Ed Overend, Einar Mickleson, Frank Adkins, and Robert 'Catfish' Raines,...Tex Hill was a Pensacola grad of 1939.

BillC
Duke Hedman info: Robert "Duke" Hedman was a graduate of Army Air Force Training
Detachment One, Hancock College of Aeronautics, Santa Maria, California.
  He was part of the first class of primary flying cadets, 40A, trained
for the Army Air Corps by civilian primary flight schools.

He went to the AVG from Selfridge Field as a 2d Lt., and distinguished
himself as a "Flying Tiger", downing 5 Japanese aircraft on 25 Dec.
1941, among other feats. Of course he stayed in China as part of the
CNAC......If I'm not mistaken, I believe Chuck Baisden was also with Duke Hedman at Selfridge Field before joining the AVG.

This information from CNAC website via Class of 40A Yearbook....Link to  page & photo of several AVG members taking target practice with sidearms. http://www.cnac.org/hedman01.htm

Edited by BillC : June 7, 2012, 11:16 pm

BillC
Two members of the Pensacola class of 1936 who failed to complete their contract with the AVG were Donald Bernsdorf and Greg Boyington.........In July of 1937 William F. "Bull" Halsey became commandant of Pensacola Naval Air Station.

Edited by BillC : June 10, 2012, 1:01 pm

aaatripp

Thanks, Bill, for all of the great info.....you definitely get an "assist" for the effort!

Two graduates of Randolph/Kelly Fields were Erik Shilling (Class 38-C) and Charlie Bond (Class 39-A).  The "100th AVG pilot" was Albert "Ajax" Baumler who would have graduated from Kelly in mid-1936 had he not washed out prior to graduation.
His passport application was denied by the State Dept. because he had flown in the Spanish Civil War (on the Republican side with the Russians).  Thus, Ajax never served with the AVG.  Baumler later joined the 75FS of the 23FG under Tex Hill (75th) and Bob Scott (23rd).  He also served in the 74FS and, following the death of Sqdn CO Frank Shiel in Dec. '42, Baumler commanded the 74th.

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : June 12, 2012, 11:35 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

jenholik
Post Group: Newbie
What enumeration district and pages did you find these names on? I think Robert Brouk should have been at Kelly in 1940. I'd like to search the pages if you have the ED available.
Thanks!
Jennifer Holik

Quote From : aaatripp June 5, 2012, 8:52 am
The recently released 1940 Census (of April '40) shows 16 future AVG amongst the many Flying Cadets at Randolph Field and Kelly Field, Texas (San Antonio). 

The names of Flying Cadets who would later be recruited into the American Volunteer
Group (AVG) and transported by ship to Burma in 1941 as civilian employees of CAMCO (Central Aircraft Mfg. Co.) are:

Atkinson, Peter W.
Baugh, Marion F.
Bolster, Harry R.
Burgard, George T.
Cross, James D.
Dupouy, Parker S.
Farrell, John W.
Greene, Paul J.
Harris, David H.
Hammer, Maax C. Jr.
Leibolt, Edward J.
Little, Robert L.
Loane, Ernest W. Jr.
Martin, Neil G.
Sawyer, Charles W.
Shamblin, Arnold W.

I will continue to search the records for other names.  Does anyone have addtl. info. about the previous bases for any AVG recruits?  Thanks!
Tripp

aaatripp

I accessed the 1940 U.S. Census via ancestry.com and then selected:

State - Texas
County - Bexar (pronounced "bear")
San Antonio area

then scroll through the census list and you will see----Kelly, Randolph & Brooks Fields (all pilot training centers)

sort through the pages for each field until you find the groupings of the "aviation cadets" etc. 

I've printed out all the aviation cadet pages for all three training fields to then match up with the AVG roster.  Some addtl. ones are likely to show up, including  Robert Brouk.

What's fascinating is that one of the Doolittle Raiders (18 April 1942) showed up----E.W. "Brick" Holstrom and George "Uncle George" Bickell (CO of the 354FG, the Pioneer Mustang Fighter Group which flew the first operational U.S. mission over Europe for the new P-51 Mustang fighter).  Also, Bruce Hinton, an F-86 pilot in Korea, who shot down a MiG fighter off the tail of famous 354FG pilot Glenn Eagleston.

They all had to start flight training somewhere....sometime....

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : June 21, 2012, 8:31 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

For jenholik----

The Enumeration Districts are:

Randolph Field  15-20
Kelly Field          15-30
Brooks Field      15-46

I checked again for Robert Brouk but did not locate him.  Let us know if you have any luck in your search.

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : June 24, 2012, 5:07 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

aaatripp

After further research I've located addtl. Flying Cadets at Randolph, Kelly and also Brooks Fields.  I've noted next to their names the name of the field to which they were assigned at the time of the April '40 U.S. Census. 

The total now stands at 23.  I was unable to locate Robert "Sandy" Sandell (24) at Brooks Field; he was recruited there in 1941 while he was an instructor.  With approx. 33 of the original AVG pilots coming from the USAAF that leaves 9 more to locate: 

Baumler (Eglin Field, Fla.)
Bond (39-A, Ferry Command)
Hedman (1PG/8PG?)
Kuykendall (Eglin/Maxwell)
Little (1PG/8PG?)
McGarry (1PG/8PG?)
Moss (1PG Selfridge Field, Mich.)
Probst (Maxwell Field, Ala.)
Shilling (38-C, 35PS/8PG Langley Field, Va.)

Primary AVG Recruiter for the Army pilots was C.B. "Skip" Adair and a big success for him was his "big haul" of NINE army pilots from the 8th Pursuit Group at Mitchel Field, NY.  (Atkinson, Dupouy, Harris, Olson) 

Can anyone help sort out from where Hammer, Hedman, Leibolt, Little, McGarry were recruited?  (ie. 1PG or 8PG)

Also 4 of the 6 currently known living AVG were all recruited by Adair (Losonsky - 1PG, Baisden/Poshefko/Stiles - 8PG).

(note:  8PG was at Langley Field, Va. then was reassigned to Mitchel Field, NY.)

Tripp

Quote From : aaatripp June 5, 2012, 8:52 am
The recently released 1940 Census (of April \'40) shows 23 future AVG amongst the many Flying Cadets at Randolph, Kelly & Brooks Fields, Texas (San Antonio). 

The names of Flying Cadets who would later be recruited into the American Volunteer Group (AVG) and transported by ship to Burma in 1941 as civilian employees of CAMCO (Central Aircraft Mfg. Co.) are:

K    Atkinson, Peter W.
R    Baugh, Marion F.
K    Blackburn, John E.
R    Bolster, Harry R.
R    Burgard, George T.
R    Cross, James D.
K    Dupouy, Parker S.
R    Farrell, John W.
K    Greene, Paul J.
R    Hall, Lester J.
R    Harris, David H.
R    Hammer, Maax C. Jr.
R    Leibolt, Edward J.
R    Little, Robert L.
K    Loane, Ernest W. Jr.
K    Martin, Neil G.
R    Olson, Arvid E. Jr.
R    Sawyer, Charles W.
R    Shamblin, Arnold W.
R    Shapard, Van Jr.
R    Smith, Robert A.      (?)
B    Smith, Robert T.
B    Wright, Allen M.

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : June 24, 2012, 5:01 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

AVG - Pensacola Classes of 1938
AVGShiela
Hello Tripp:

Thanks for your effort to put together a listing of AVG pilots by
military institution and class. Shiela's dad, Lew Bishop, and several AVG colleagues were members of 1938 classes at
Pensacola Naval Air Station.

We wanted to add the following from the 1938 Pensacola NAS Yearbook, The Flight Jacket. The base commander
for 1937-38 was RADM Wiliam F. “Bull” Halsey, Jr.

Five individuals from 1938 Pensacola NAS
graduates later served in the AVG. Three more individuals signed up but resigned before December 7, 1941. 
The following listing includes their names, home, college, pages with pictures in the yearbook, and initial assignment after graduation.

1. Class 104C     
*Charles Davis Mott, Philadelphia, PA. 1936 graduate
of University of Pennsylvania. (pgs. 21 & 25) NRAB Philadelphia

*Robert Henry Power, Staten Island, NY, Wagner College, (pgs. 23 & 26)NRAB Floyd Bennett Field. (Resigned 9/24/1941)

2. Class 105C     
* Percy Robert Bartelet, Waseka, MN. University of
Iowa, (pgs 28 & 30) NRAB Sand Point
*Maurice Garth McGuire. Eureka, Il. Eureka College. B.S 1937.(pgs. 29 & 33) NRAB St. Louis, MO. (Resigned 9/24/1941)
*Edwin Henry Rushton. San Mateo, CA. Stanford Univ. B.A. 1934. (pgs.29 & 34) NRAB Oakland, CA. (Resigned 10/24/1941)

3. Class 106C     
*Lewis Sherman Bishop, Dekalb Junction, NY. Oklahoma
Military Academy. (pgs. 36 & 38) NRAB Floyd Bennett

4. Class 108C     
*Edgar Theobald Goyette, Mystic, CT. Marshall
College. (pgs. 54 & 56) NRAB Floyd Bennett

5. Class 109C     
*James Howell Howard, St. Louis, MO. Pomona College. (pgs. 60 & 64) NRAB Long Beach

Hope we did not miss anyone, but we can do additional lookup if there is any question.

Shiela & George Irwin

jenholik
Thank you for posting these EDs. I'm looking for Bob but nothing yet. He graduated from Kelly Advanced Flying School in Aug. 1940. How long would he have been there before graduation? Maybe he wasn't there in April? I know he was at Mitchell later when he was recruited for the AVG.

I can't even find his parents in the index  yet for Chicago. I'm going to have to do a page by page based on their address at this point. The other Brouk family member show up in the index but not Peter and Emily.

Hmmmm. I'll post if....WHEN I find Robert.

Oh I'm not sure if I ever posted this but at the end of April I was very blessed to have been able to go to Arizona and meet Bob's widow Ginny. Ginny was at the airfield when Bob's plane crashed and saw the whole thing. She turned 90 at the beginning of April and for two days we shed very few tears and laughed like 16 year olds. She wrote her entire life's history in five huge binders. After Bob's death she joined the WAC and served state-side for a year or so. Then the WAAC and went to Egypt for over a year to serve. Met her second husband there in 1944 and they had over 50 years together. Ginny still looks like that woman in the WAC picture I have in my book I wrote about Bob. I'm hoping she will work with me to write her WAC story at some point, but she feels both too close to it yet and like she didn't really do anything overseas - which is not the case. So we'll see.

Quote From : aaatripp June 24, 2012, 3:54 pm
For jenholik----

The Enumeration Districts are:

Randolph Field  15-20
Kelly Field          15-30
Brooks Field      15-46

I checked again for Robert Brouk but did not locate him.  Let us know if you have any luck in your search.

Tripp

BillC
I believe Bob, along with Duke Hedmann and Parker Dupouy, was among those who received their initial training at a civilian flight school. Class of 40A at Tuscon AZ.

jenholik
Parker Dupouy is in Bexar Texas ED 15-30 in the 1940 Census. I'll have to look for Duke but still not finding Bob. I'll keep looking and try to figure out what EDs might be for Tuscon, AZ. Thanks!

Quote From : BillC August 6, 2012, 7:52 am
I believe Bob, along with Duke Hedmann and Parker Dupouy, was among those who received their initial training at a civilian flight school. Class of 40A at Tuscon AZ.

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
ForumAdmin, robertm, Shawn, zekestriker, worldraft, dlmitx81, basketweaver, aaatripp, Highlander, BradSmith, BillC, flynpeach, LydiaRossi, BenL, 3AVG@Toungoo, Bartelt, jenholik, trickymicky52, VS-5kid, AFDoc, gemiller111, AVGShiela, Jmalford

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : AVG - Flying Cadets in 1940