Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : Real blood chit?

Threaded Mode | Print  

Real blood chit? (15 Replies, Read 14026 times)
Tiger5
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
Real or fake?
IP: --   

Real blood chit?
aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
This is a time when Richard Peacher's expertise would be very helpful.

Does anyone know if a list of the AVG-issued blood chits ever existed?
Thank you.

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee
AVG Flying Tigers Association

Real blood chit?
Tiger5
Here is some 10th A.F. numbers: www.cbi-theater.com/bloodchit/list.html

Real blood chit?
aaatripp

ALL AVG FORUM MEMBERS:

Here is a link to a webpage with a more complete explanation of the CBI bloodchits:

http://www.cbi-theater.com/bloodchit/bloodchit.html#END

Thanks to Forum member Tiger5 for leading us to this web source!

Edited by aaatripp : June 12, 2016, 2:16 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

Real blood chit?
LydiaRossi
Post Group: Elite Member

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
I remember Dick Rossi telling me the AVG was issued numbers 1 through 300. Maybe something like 00001 - 00300. Chennault took the number 1. I wish I still had Dick's to check the number, it was lost in a fire at the Aerospace Museum in San Diego in 1978.

Real blood chit?
Tiger5
FIRE!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!
I have been reading, Chennault took #0001 and kept the first 200. They were all auctioned off in the 1960's to help an Air Force Association (14th?), FOR $60.00 A PIECE!!! All A.V.G. chit numbers were therefore 0201 or higher, ON THE FIRST STYLE/PRINTING. On the second style, the numbers again start at a lower number. Source: PEACHER

Real blood chit?
aaatripp

I am pasting in Richard Peacher's response of March 6, 2012 regarding a listing of AVG blood chits issued.  This may clarify for you.
Tripp

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----------
Richard Peacher wrote:

I just saw Bob Baldwin last weekend...he wrote the definitive work on
blood chits "Last Hope" The Blood Chit Story...I've never met McGarry
and don't really know what his contributions was....but Bob is/was the
blood chit guy.

So far no records have ever been found indicating which blood chits
were given to which pilot/member etc. of the AVG. I'm not sure about the
number on this one, is it a 0 followed by four numbers...or is it a 0
followed by 3 digits?. I can't quite tell where the Chinese Aero
Commission's chop was, so that makes it harder to determine type.

To really know more records would have to be found like those on the website gemiller111 linked to.

Sorry not to be of much help,

Richard

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------

Edited by aaatripp : June 15, 2016, 10:06 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

Real blood chit?
dlmitx81
would be one of the original print low numbers auctioned in the 1960s. $60 was a day's pay back then. i would still want to compare to a known/verified original. would have been nice if provenance had been better documented on the back of the frame.

david

Real blood chit?
Tiger5
This one is probably a second printing because the Chinese characters for "American" are added on second line from right. If authentic, that is. Came from the estate of Neil L Maurer, commander of the 12th A.S.G. at the end of the war. Sold for $1100.

Real blood chit?
dlmitx81
there you go, some provenance. perhaps that is lt. col. Mauer in the photo. the chit being held in the photo does not appear to be the one in the frame. it looks like a leather one with no border. the framed one could still be a 2nd printing he brought back. $1k is more than i care to spend ...

A friend from the 380th BG had a chit sewn inside his jacket and i have a photo of it someplace (pre digital). he had mentioned that he was cleaning out filing cabinets at the end of the war and threw away a stack of chits and keeping one for himself. i've reproduced some leather chits but haven't researched past just making sure i had the chinese characters correct. plenty of variations out there. here is a couple of my reproductions.

Real blood chit?
mickelman
Here is Jasper Harrington's blood chit and Richard Peacher's explanation from 2003:

http://www.warbirdforum.com/bloodchi.htm

Apparently the main feature distinguishing AVG blood chits from the later (and duplicatively numbered) chits is the fact that only one Chinese character appears above the stamped number.

Real blood chit?
RonBurkey
A little late to the party here, but let me clarify something.

Bob Baldwin is also a friend of mine, and the final word on Blood Chits, having written the bible on them, studied them extensively, and put on numerous Museum displays of them.

Bob states on page 39 of "Last Hope: The Blood CHit Story" that "There is no single "Pattern" AVG Rescue Patch (aka Blood Chit), and many small variations exist."

That said, I have seen many biographical AVG Blood Chits, and they exist with both 1 and 2 characters above the serial number.

The biographical chits in my collection are as follows:

2 characters above:
Einar Mickelson 0231
Ed Seavey 0254
Frank Swartz 0598

As a side note, all biographical AVG chits i have seen have indeed been numbered over 0200.

1 character above:
Bert Christman (Next of Kin) 0374

As another side note, the Next of Kin Blood Chits that were sent home to family of KIA AVG members all appear to be above the number 0350.

From what I can see of the chit posted at the start of this thread, it appears to be an original, and of the 199-chit stash that Chennault  sequestered for himself that was later sold at auction. Larger images, or images out of the frame, would confirm this.

Hope this helps.

Ron Burkey

Owner, Flying TIger Antiques

Real blood chit?
Tiger5
That's kind of what I thought also. The only confusing thing though, why would the "American" characters be added to an unissued chit?  You would think the original 0200 were of the early style, but I have never seen one. You have a great site!

Real blood chit?
RonBurkey
Thank you for your kind words. I can clarify this. I also have "unissued" chits # 0100 & 0158 in my collection. They too have the "May Guo" stamp. My thoughts are, that just because they were unissued does not mean that they were unfinished. The 0001 - 0200 chits appear to have been completed just as the other chits, as they were made to be issued to Americans.

Oh, and for reference, both of the above mentioned chtis have 2 characters above the number.
I will try to get some images added to the thread.

Ron Burkey

Owner, Flying TIger Antiques

Real blood chit?
aaatripp

Many thanks to Ron Burkey for his expertise.

Ron, you're adding a dimension to our AVG Forum which is invaluable to our Forum members!  It will indeed help them to navigate through the mass of AVG knockoff memorabilia out there...just waiting for some unsuspecting victim to bite.

Edited by aaatripp : August 22, 2016, 3:09 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
Shawn, dlmitx81, aaatripp, BillC, LydiaRossi, BenL, Radar21, SilverDollar, mickelman, RonBurkey, Tiger5, JasonZ, Blue

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : Real blood chit?