Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : CBI Scarf

Threaded Mode | Print  

CBI Scarf (11 Replies, Read 21523 times)
wildbi111
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
Hello

I have a scarf from my grandfather memorabilia.  He was assigned to 14AF as a logistics officer 1943-1944.  His name was William W. Richards and he arrived in theater as a Capt. and return home in 1944 as a Major.  According to his dairies that I have transcribed, he was interviewed and promoted by Gen. Clair Chennault.  Anyway the family stories say that this scarf was presented to him by Madame Chiang Kai-Shek.  So the attached image shows the scarf and the two patches on it.  It is about 6 feet long with no other identifying marks.  Can anyone help me identify the patches and whether is was something he may have been given by Madame Chiang Kai-Shek?

Bill

Edited by wildbi111 : December 22, 2012, 6:03 pm
IP: --   

CBI Scarf
wildbi111
Anybody?  How about a suggested site where someone might help find out more about this scarf?

TIA
Bill

Quote From : wildbi111 December 22, 2012, 5:55 pm
Hello

I have a scarf from my grandfather memorabilia.  He was assigned to 14AF as a logistics officer 1943-1944.  His name was William W. Richards and he arrived in theater as a Capt. and return home in 1944 as a Major.  According to his dairies that I have transcribed, he was interviewed and promoted by Gen. Clair Chennault.  Anyway the family stories say that this scarf was presented to him by Madame Chiang Kai-Shek.  So the attached image shows the scarf and the two patches on it.  It is about 6 feet long with no other identifying marks.  Can anyone help me identify the patches and whether is was something he may have been given by Madame Chiang Kai-Shek?

Bill

CBI Scarf
LydiaRossi
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Elite Member

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
Bill,
This site is dedicated to the American Volunteer Group Flying Tigers and your grandfather was in the 14th AF. We don't have much help to offer to you except that you should contact the 14th AF with your questions.
This scarf does not look like the scarves that the AVG Flying Tigers brought home.
Sorry to not be of more help.

CBI Scarf
TexLonghorn
Try armyairforces.com There might be someone there that can identify it. Maybe someone can translate ti as well.

CBI Scarf
aaatripp
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
There is a chance that Richard Peacher may be able to identify this scarf for you.

Is FlyinPeach monitoring this forum these days?

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee
AVG Flying Tigers Association

CBI Scarf
HellsAngel
Ah...  Madame Chaing also gave a silk picture, with this sort of Emblem on it, to 14th AIR FORCE pilot Jim Dumas, good friend so friends of mine, he was Tex Hills wingman. Man I'm thinking this is a personal type logo directly from Chaing Ki Chek and his Madame..

CBI Scarf
aaatripp
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
If you look at the AVG blood chit or blood chit pin available from the Flying Tigers store you'll see Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek's "chop" (official seal or symbol) on
it.  The chop or signature seen on both of the V patches on this scarf is quite different.

Perhaps this chop is Madame Chiang's (Soong Mei-ling)?

Is Richard Peacher monitoring this thread?

Tripp Alyn, chair
Flying Tigers Association

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
AVG Flying Tigers Association

CBI Scarf
wildbi111
All

Thanks for the responses.  I'm still searching for an answer but  thus far no joy.  The 14th AF Association has closed up shop so no chance of getting help from them.  If Richard Peacher is around and can help please contact me.

Bill Richards
USAF (Ret)

Edited by wildbi111 : September 7, 2014, 11:34 am

CBI Scarf
wildbi111
I believe Richard Peacher has passed away.  I found this on wehrmacht-awards.com forums:

Richard Peacher also known on the forum as Richard P., he was a member of this forum. He had been a member of this forum since 17 January 2006. He passed away on 14 August 2012.

CBI Scarf
LydiaRossi

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
I am so sorry to learn about Richard Peacher. He was a wealth of information and a very nice guy.

CBI Scarf
SilverDollar
Oh no.  He was one of our rare experts on the AVG.  My condolences to all who knew him personally.  The site has lost a very good friend.

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

CBI Scarf
BillC
Very sorry to hear of his passing. I had bought a few minor things from him. He was the most knowledgeable person on AVG memorabilia I am aware of. He was a treasure trove of information, and could spot a fake a mile away. His loss is is a major blow. Condolences to family and friends.

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
TexLonghorn, worldraft, dlmitx81, aaatripp, BradSmith, BillC, LydiaRossi, wildbi111, BenL, Nacho48, SilverDollar, hc8mm, gemiller111, HellsAngel

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : CBI Scarf