Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Bill Reed AVG Pilot Honored

Threaded Mode | Print  

Bill Reed AVG Pilot Honored (1 Replies, Read 6215 times)
LydiaRossi
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Elite Member

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
Bill Reed's nephew, Ed Reed, has sent this information about his uncle:

On November 11 at the Anamosa High School, Veterans Day boosters will be honoring Bill Reed, Flying Tiger, as the main thrust of their program. Tim Hollett of Anamosa called me last week and invited family and friends to attend the ceremony at 10:00 a.m. I assume the program will be held in the auditorium or in the gymnasium of the school.

Bill Reed grew up in Marion and attended elementary and high school there. However, inasmuch as Bill, many(if not all) of his siblings, and his mother were born in Stone City(Jones County) and the fact that Bill is buried beside his parents at Riverside Cemetery in Anamosa, the boosters wish to honor Iowa’s top ace of WWII. At the same time, and I feel that it’s appropriate, the boosters wish to instill in the students an appreciation for what our veterans have sacrificed and accomplished, during wars and peacetime,  to maintain our freedoms in this country.

Tim has requested the number of family/friends who might attend in order to provide seating. For some of you who live at great distances, this is most likely a correspondence of information. On the other hand, if you are able to attend, would you let me know in order that I might inform Tim Hollett. Susan and I will be driving in from Omaha on the Monday before Veterans Day.

Edited by LydiaRossi : October 5, 2014, 9:28 pm
IP: --   

Bill Reed AVG Pilot Honored
aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
We greatly appreciate Ed Reed forwarding this information to our Forum.  His uncle, Bill Reed, of the 3rd Pursuit Squadron Hell's Angels was indeed a remarkable warrior in the fight against the Japanese.  His service and his sacrifice is certainly a matter of pride for both his family and for the State of Iowa.

If any of you plan to attend this event, please contact us through this Forum and we will get Ed Reed in touch with you.

Thanks!
Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee
AVG Flying Tigers Association
IP: --   

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
Shawn, aaatripp, BillC, LydiaRossi, Charybdis, TigerNephew, SilverDollar, AFDoc, StephenLoane

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Bill Reed AVG Pilot Honored