Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Civil Air Patrol Cadet Patch

Threaded Mode | Print  

Civil Air Patrol Cadet Patch (7 Replies, Read 7060 times)
DaveWard
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie

I am a Cadet Programs Officer with a Civil Air Patrol squadron
out of Sacramento.
  We are designing a
new patch for our 12-18 year old cadets.

When asked what mascot or symbol they wanted to use, they chose a
Tiger.
  Because we are Squadron 14 (same
numerical designation as the 14
th Air Force) and we are all volunteers,
they chose a Tiger in honor of the Flying Tigers.
  Our goal was to ensure that they remember the past while still attacking their futures.  Many of them are enlisting in the military and or applying to the various service academies.  We have a patch drawn up but obviously donít
want to use it without some sort of blessing from the AVG.
  Our image was approved by the Air Force
Public Affairs office and is ready to be sent to the Civil Air Patrol for
approval.

I tried to email the contact email address for the AVG
website but didnít receive an email in return.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David Ward

IP: --   

Civil Air Patrol Cadet Patch
aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
Dear Mr. Ward,

We're honored that you're group selected the Tiger as your prime identifier.

Thank you very much for your inquiry and for checking with us in advance before going ahead with your patch.  Our AVG Flying Tigers logo and squadron logos are all protected by copyright, FYI.

Please email me further details of your project along with an attached copy of the image which you intend to use.  You may send it to:  aaatripp@gmail.com

Also, FYI, the 14th Air Force was a successor organization to the AVG Flying Tigers which was disbanded on 4 July 1942.  The 23rd Fighter Group of the CATF immediately followed until it was absorbed into the 14AF in March, 1943.  All of these organizations were under the command of Claire Lee Chennault (AVG, CATF, 14AF) and flew the famous shark-mouthed P-40 fighters.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee
Flying Tigers Association

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
AVG Flying Tigers Association

DaveWard
Mr. Alyn, thank you for your response.  I am very glad to finally reach a member of the organization.  Our intent is to honor the organization as a whole.  We would never use any image that creates a nexus to the Flying Tigers without expressed permission.  There is an email and copy of the image coming to you within the hour. 

dlmitx81
Quote From : aaatripp January 2, 2015, 2:43 pm
Dear Mr. Ward,

We're honored that you're group selected the Tiger as your prime identifier.

Thank you very much for your inquiry and for checking with us in advance before going ahead with your patch.  Our AVG Flying Tigers logo and squadron logos are all protected by copyright, FYI.

Please email me further details of your project along with an attached copy of the image which you intend to use.  You may send it to:  aaatripp@gmail.com

Also, FYI, the 14th Air Force was a successor organization to the AVG Flying Tigers which was disbanded on 4 July 1942.  The 23rd Fighter Group of the CATF immediately followed until it was absorbed into the 14AF in March, 1943.  All of these organizations were under the command of Claire Lee Chennault (AVG, CATF, 14AF) and flew the famous shark-mouthed P-40 fighters.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

Tripp,

I obtained a license to paint the AVG logo and squadron insignia as leather patches many years ago and send a percentage of the sales to the AVG association. Chuck Older prepared the document. I've been busy painting for some active duty navy squadrons and movie/tv industry and haven't painted any AVG patches lately.

Another artist who regularly sells AVG patches tells me he was assured by Bob Schriebman, a lawyer associated with the AVG association, that the artwork was public domain. Like you, I believe the logos are protected but I have not found the entries with the US Copyright Office. I will continue to send a percentage to the AVG association but would like to find a link to reference. Feel free to PM me ...

My father was a navigator with the 388th Bomb Group and I am an associate member and past president of the 388th association. I first started painting for our reunions and encourage others to support the veterans associations.

David Lee Miller

DaveWard
David,
The gentleman who put together the artwork for our patch mentioned the same thing. However, we all agreed that without the blessing of the AVG, we weren't going to move forward. Ultimately, there is no guarantee that it would be approved by our own organization. That being said, it is our responsibility to ensure all bases have been covered prior to sending this through our chain of command.  To us, it is more a matter of honoring the origins of the symbols than pushing the issue of artwork ownership.
Either way, a request was forwarded and we hope to know soon.

aaatripp

To All AVG Forum members:

Thank you for the opportunity to highlight what I stated earlier in my post of Jan. 2nd.  Our AVG Tiger and Victory V logo is indeed trademark protected.  In addition,
the squadron insignias of our 3 AVG squadrons are similarly protected.

If you are interested in using our logo or insignias please contact us so that we may discuss this further.

As for the Civil Air Patrol request, we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

LydiaRossi
Post Group: Elite Member

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
I have been interested in these postings and, like Tripp Alyn, feel honored that the Civil Air Patrol is asking our permission to use our logos. We appreciate the respect and admiration it demonstrates.
But I feel the need to respond to the statement by David Lee Miller, quoted below:
"Another artist who regularly sells AVG patches tells me he was assured by Bob Schriebman, a lawyer associated with the AVG association, that the artwork was public domain."

Robert Schriebman is a tax lawyer who contacted Dick Rossi many years ago and volunteered assistance to the Flying Tigers Association. He did do a few services for the group, strictly as a volunteer. He would also write press releases having to do with the AVG without the knowledge or approval of the board of the FTA. In these articles he would identify himself as the attorney for the FTA, a position he did not hold. Dick Rossi had to stop using his assistance.
At no time was Schriebman an attorney for, a member of, on the board of, the FTA. He had no authority to speak for the Association on any subject. Actually I doubt that Schriebman would have said the above as it was he who gave us the name of the attorney we were using to obtain trademarks about 25 years ago.

We have all of our logos trademarked and the name "Flying Tigers" we have trademarked for most uses. After all, the AVG is the rightful owner of that legendary name.

aaatripp

Thanks, Lydia, for setting the record straight.

With that in mind, there is also the issue of:

"Another artist who regularly sells AVG patches...."

AVG items sold by that person, on eBay or elsewhere, will be considered trademark infringements and will be referred to our attorney.

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
robertm, Shawn, dlmitx81, aaatripp, BillC, LydiaRossi, SilverDollar, DaveWard

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Civil Air Patrol Cadet Patch