Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : T-Shirt

Threaded Mode | Print  

T-Shirt, My dad got me this T-shirt a long time ago, I still have it (8 Replies, Read 11678 times)
Lincoln
Group: Member
Post Group: Working Newbie
http://www.3dshirts.com/warbird-designs/P-40-Tomahawk.html#

But now I know where I can get more, I have the Stone one so I guess I got to get the Ashen Grey.

I have not had much luck finding stuff on the internet that was Flying Tigers related, the shirt I have is from the Puma Air Museum, (and I don't see it on their site)  but the logo looks the same.  The one I have is a Silk Screen, not Iron On like the other sites have.  Had I known the other shirts were Iron On I would not have purchased them.
IP: --   

T-Shirt
aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
Is that the Pima Air Museum in Tuscon, AZ ?  A truly great museum!  Everything from warbirds to the SR-71 Blackbird.

This is a good representation of R.T. Smith's #77 from the Third Squadron "Hell's Angels" of the AVG.  It sports the red Angel, AVG insignia (from Disney), shark-mouth, Squadron number (77) and the red stripe around the empenage, iron ring sight just forward of the canopy and Chinese Air Force 12-pointed star blue/white roundel near the wingtips.  The only miscue is in the camo paint job----a bit over the top if you view any of the actual photos of AVG aircraft.  BUT, it looks good on the T-shirt.  We'll call that "artistic license".  Even identifies it as a Tomahawk (P-40B).

The Flying Tigers Association supports this type of shirt because it is not a blatant pirating of the AVG or Squadron logos.  There are many pieces of merchandise out there for sale which are outright violations of our protected trademarks.

Thanks very much for posting this info on our AVG Forum.  We encourage all AVG supporters to be on the lookout for AVG items and to post it for us. Obviously, the world loves the many memories of the AVG Flying Tigers...and we appreciate the respect for our Tigers.  However, living in the U.S., we still have copyright laws to be respected and enforced (unlike other parts of the world).

Please help us to protect the AVG Flying Tigers legacy.

Thanks!

Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee
Flying Tigers Association

Edited by aaatripp : January 27, 2015, 8:04 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
AVG Flying Tigers Association

T-Shirt
Lincoln
I purchased a hat from this site and got a pin a long time ago.

A year or so back I posted a thread trying to warn others away from much of the cheap crap on the internet.  When I found something I could support I wanted to let others know.

Yes it was the Pima air Museum, my Dad, Mom and a my nephews went around the western half of the US and hit most of the Aviation related Museums and Chino.  My dad got me that T-shirt.

I worry I'll wear it out or it will fade, so far it's held up pretty well.

No I can be more certain of a replacement!  I can WEAR IT OUT!!!!

T-Shirt
aaatripp

Ah, Chino, CA.....The Yanks and the Planes of Fame Air Museums.....both great experiences!  I think that March ARB in Riverside also has an air museum.

Lincoln, thanks for your support of the Flying Tigers!

Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

T-Shirt
SilverDollar
Post Group: Elite Member
My favorite museum is only 2 and 1/2 hours from me.  That's the Air Force Museum in Dayton.  They have a very small AVG display but it's mixed with some 14th AF stuff.  They have a silk AVG banner, George Bailey's M422 and Arvid Olsen's bush jacket.  They definitely separate the 14th AF memorabilia from the AVG memorabilia and don't mix the two. 

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

T-Shirt
Lincoln
I'm a couple hours North of Dayton, been there a number of times, have my picture next to Bock's Car and the replicas of Fat-Man and Little-Boy.  They have that P-36 which is pretty rare also.

T-Shirt
BenL
Post Group: Newbie
In actuality, RT's #77 never had the Tiger logo decal applied before Dick Rossi pranged it up.

Quote From : aaatripp January 27, 2015, 8:03 am
Is that the Pima Air Museum in Tuscon, AZ ?  A truly great museum!  Everything from warbirds to the SR-71 Blackbird.

This is a good representation of R.T. Smith's #77 from the Third Squadron "Hell's Angels" of the AVG.  It sports the red Angel, AVG insignia (from Disney), shark-mouth, Squadron number (77) and the red stripe around the empenage, iron ring sight just forward of the canopy and Chinese Air Force 12-pointed star blue/white roundel near the wingtips.  The only miscue is in the camo paint job----a bit over the top if you view any of the actual photos of AVG aircraft.  BUT, it looks good on the T-shirt.  We'll call that "artistic license".  Even identifies it as a Tomahawk (P-40B).

The Flying Tigers Association supports this type of shirt because it is not a blatant pirating of the AVG or Squadron logos.  There are many pieces of merchandise out there for sale which are outright violations of our protected trademarks.

Thanks very much for posting this info on our AVG Forum.  We encourage all AVG supporters to be on the lookout for AVG items and to post it for us. Obviously, the world loves the many memories of the AVG Flying Tigers...and we appreciate the respect for our Tigers.  However, living in the U.S., we still have copyright laws to be respected and enforced (unlike other parts of the world).

Please help us to protect the AVG Flying Tigers legacy.

Thanks!

Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

T-Shirt
aaatripp

BenL:

Thanks for your posting.  Attached is a photo to support your statement of RT's #77 with shark-mouth, 3rd Squadron "Angel", #77 and red empenage stripe BUT no disney AVG logo.  Would like to know the date of this photo from the collection of 3rd Sqdn pilot, Fred Hodges.  It shows RT with 5 kills....that should narrow down the timeframe!

In the cockpit is a smiling Ken Jernstedt......

Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : January 29, 2015, 10:42 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

T-Shirt
BenL
Post Group: Newbie
It's a mystery because RT Smith acquired 3.5 kills on 12-23-41 and 4 kills on 12-25-41 for a total of 7.5. Why they would only paint 5 on his P-40 could only be because they had not confirmed the other 2.5? RT did not get another kill until 4-8-42 and so that photo could be anytime between those dates.
Dick Rossi pranged up RT's #77 toward the end of March, 1942 while RT was away ferrying P-40E's back to the AVG. Chuck Baisden has a photo of #77 sans the Tiger logo decal on pg. 51 of his book as they are stripping it of useful parts.

Quote From : aaatripp January 29, 2015, 10:40 am
BenL:

Thanks for your posting.  Attached is a photo to support your statement of RT's #77 with shark-mouth, 3rd Squadron "Angel", #77 and red empenage stripe BUT no disney AVG logo.  Would like to know the date of this photo from the collection of 3rd Sqdn pilot, Fred Hodges.  It shows RT with 5 kills....that should narrow down the timeframe!

In the cockpit is a smiling Ken Jernstedt......

Tripp

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
robertm, Shawn, dlmitx81, basketweaver, aaatripp, BradSmith, BillC, mayor, LydiaRossi, BenL, SilverDollar, AFDoc, Owen, a2jacketpatches, Lincoln, AVGShiela, StephenLoane, Ewing27617

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : T-Shirt