Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Christmas came early this year.

Threaded Mode | Print  

Christmas came early this year. (3 Replies, Read 15027 times)
BillC
Group: Member
Post Group: Elite Member
I recently purchased an extra copy of Joe Rosbert's book "Flying Tiger Joe's Adventure Story Cookbook" on Bookfinder.com. Book came today. Blurb describing condition, etc had said it was signed. Opened the cover to find: To our dearest friend of many years, Ed. With fondest memories. Love Lil & Joe"......Below that was this inscription: "Dec'85...Return to Ed Rector, 1201 N. Nash St, Arl. VA 2209 (841-1987)"....By a giant stroke of luck, out of all the copies available at Bookfinder, I had somehow ended up with Ed Rector's copy of Joe Rosbert's book, with Joe's dedication to Ed. Holy Cow! Merry Christmas. Have goosebumps.

Edited by BillC : April 7, 2014, 4:49 pm
IP: --   

Christmas came early this year.
LydiaRossi
Group: Moderator

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
Bill, there are no coincidences. You were meant to have that book!

BillC
When I was 12, I got the John Toland book on the Flying Tigers. Ed Rector and Tex Hill were featured prominently in the book. Consequently, as a youngster, Ed and Tex WERE the Flying Tigers to me, at least they were the face of the group. In 2001,my late wife, daughter and I took the train out to Seattle to attend whatever AVG events were open to us. Ed had just passed away a few months earlier. As we had a few hours in Washington on the return, I went to Arlington to visit Ed's grave along with General Chennault's. I'd like to go back some day. So much history. So many great Americans.

BillC
Had an urge to see what AVG items were on e-bay today. To my great delight, I found another copy of Joe Rosbert's book. This one belonged to Chuck Older, and contained a similar dedication to Chuck and his wife. Oh happy day.

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
Shawn, aaatripp, BradSmith, BillC, LydiaRossi, wildbi111, BenL, 3AVG@Toungoo, Radar21, ktmahon, Tiger5

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Christmas came early this year.