Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Real A.V.G. G1?

Threaded Mode | Print  

Real A.V.G. G1? (6 Replies, Read 9887 times)
Tiger5
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
Opinions? Appears to be a period jacket.
IP: --   

Real A.V.G. G1?
LydiaRossi
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Elite Member

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
Is there no other markings on the jacket? Usually the AVG members put their name inside somewhere. It is unusual to have only the 3rd Squadron. It was the AVG logo and name Flying Tigers that was famous and everyone wanted to put on their jackets. We have people here who may be able to help you more. Can you give more information such as where it came from?
My guess is that is may be an old jacket, maybe WWII, but someone painted on the 3rd Squadron logo and scratched it up to look old also.

Real A.V.G. G1?
Tiger5
Exactly what I was thinking. Same old murky provenance, bought at an estate sale of a 3rd sqdn. pilot who "flew Corsairs later in the war". 2 supposed "experts" have said it's authentic and one says it could have been a movie prop. I'm leaning towards the latter, the work looks different from the main A.V.G. artist, but not all paintings were done by him (Regis, I believe?). By the way, I remember meeting Dick in Detroit in 1999 or 2000. My immediate and lasting impression: GOOD SOUL.

Real A.V.G. G1?
Tiger5
Another thing: the jacket is in England.

Real A.V.G. G1?
LydiaRossi
Post Group: Elite Member

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
Thank you Tiger 5.  My impression of him exactly.

Real A.V.G. G1?
aaatripp
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
Thanks, Tiger5, for bringing this info to our AVG Forum so that we can display and discuss the characteristics of this "possible" AVG artifact.  Great discussion so far.
This thread has been moved from the General area to the Public Discussions relating to "all things AVG".

Our Forum expert Ron Burkey will be brought into this topic to discuss further.

Thanks all, for your continuing interest and dedication to the history and legacy of the AVG Flying Tigers!

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee
AVG Flying Tigers Association

Real A.V.G. G1?
RonBurkey
Sorry, I have been on a whirlwind trip in the Northwest, and am home for a few days before leaving for the MAX show in Pittsburgh. After the 10/10 things should slow down for me.

Tripp, if you wrote me, I did not receive a notification. I just thought I should check in tonight as I had a moment and saw this thread.

It woudl be impossible to verify the authenticity of this jacket from the tiny images posted here.

There are many features to the painting that look like it COULD be authentic, but nothing to solidify that fact, again, given the size of the images and lack of details.

If someone can send me larger images, there may be other clues present. Ron@flyingtigerantiques.com

One clue that does appear to be present from the images, is the color of the liner. The just pre-WWII USN Flight jacket, the M-422A (the term "G-1" is actually a post-war nomenclature used to incorrectly name the Lightweight Leather WWII USN Flight Jackets) or the more often encountered AVG jacket, the ANJ-3, both had a more rusty, almost orange liner, as opposed toe the brown liner I am seeing in these images.  Again, hard to say exactly from the limited details I currently have, but  from what I can see currently, I woudl expect to determine that this jacket was produced post 7/42 if I had it in hand to examine.

I hope this helps. I woudl be happy to look into this further if better images could be made available to me.

Best regards,

Ron Burkey

Owner, Flying Tiger Antiques

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
dlmitx81, aaatripp, LydiaRossi, BenL, Radar21, SilverDollar, Lincoln, markeyismarc, RonBurkey, Tiger5, Blue

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Real A.V.G. G1?