Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Original Flying Tigers

Threaded Mode | Print  

Original Flying Tigers, 2011 Reunion (Sort Of) (7 Replies, Read 27617 times)
WLSNiece
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
Intersting use of 'original' ...Flying Tigers Reunion Flying Tigers Reunion: Past and present members of the Flying Tigers gathered at MacDill AFB, Fla., earlier this month for the latest in the series of reunions held since 1947. This year, five of the surviving original Flying Tigers pilots attended. So did some of the maintainers, intelligence, and medical staff who supported them when they flew P-40 Warhawks in defense of China against Imperial Japan during World War II. "It's an honor to meet with these generations of warriors," said Col. Ronald Stuewe, commander of the 23rd Fighter Group at Moody AFB, Ga., an A-10C unit that carries on the Flying Tigers name and shark's teeth nose art. "I've looked up to these guys since I was a little boy, so to actually meet them and hear their stories is truly, truly humbling," said Capt. Matthew Cichowski, a Moody A-10 pilot. (Tampa report by SrA. Brigitte N. Brantley) Also pretty much the same sort at 2012 Reunion at Moody AFB just after AVG Reunion in Columbus. Have feeling USAF doesn't quite feel that AVG  and 'Flying Tigers' go together.
IP: --   

Original Flying Tigers
BillC
Post Group: Elite Member
Post WWII, the14th Air Force Association appropriated the name "Flying Tigers" for themselves. While they also were commanded by General Chennault, and served in the same theater, it was/is felt by many/most of the "original" members of the AVG that the name "Flying Tigers" was bestowed upon them by a grateful Chinese nation. The exploits of the AVG were among the very few bright spots in the early days of the war. 254 volunteers, mostly American, took on the might of the Japanese air force from December 1941, till July 4 of 1942. The odds that they faced, and the high quality of the Japanese pilots they flew against were of a nature that the later CAT, and eventually the 14th AF  (20,000 strong) never faced. This is not meant to demean in any way, the service and sacrifice of those that followed the AVG. It's meant to place the service of the AVG members in a different category. One which earned 'them' the name "Flying Tigers".

Original Flying Tigers
gemiller111
Post Group: Working Newbie
A couple of months ago, I gave my AVG presentation to the local Military Officers Association of America chapter.  After the meeting, a very effusive woman pulled me over to an eldery man, her grandfather, who she said was a Flying Tiger (I knew no AVG members were present) and wanted to talk to me.  As a thank you he gave me one of his personal named challenge coins- a medallion that very promeniently says "Flying Tiger" on one side.  This gentleman was shot down in China- while flying a B-25.  He referred to the AVG as the "original" Flying Tigers.  I sincerely thanked him for the gift and thanked him for his service. Not the time, place or "audience" for me to argue the historical point of view...

71st Reunion Moody AFB
WLSNiece
11/5/2012 - U.S. Air Force Col. Samuel Milam, 93d Air Ground Operations Wing commander, speaks with Leonard Miller, former Flying Tiger, during the 2012 Flying Tiger Reunion dinner at the James H. Rainwater Conference Center in Valdosta, Ga., Oct. 26, 2012.  Past and present Flying Tigers attended the reunion dinner to honor 71 years of Flying Tiger history. (U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Olivia Bumpers/Released)

Original Flying Tigers
BillC
Post Group: Elite Member
I'm assuming you tried to upload a photo. The website has a 300 kb limit on photos. You likely will have to re-size it for the system to accept it.

Original Flying Tigers
WLSNiece
No just a cut and paste (without the photo, hard for me to take any photo to that small a file and still have anything, most of my Tif files etc. are 115MB) Taken from from Moody AFB on the 'Flying Tiger' reunion just after the AVG Reunion, there was another bit from the Base that talked about 'Original Flying Tigers' (23PS/23FG / 14th AF) that no longer comes up in Google search. Looks like the 14th had a good time.

Original Flying Tigers
mayor
Post Group: Working Member

If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong
Sometimes I get the feeling that the USAF doesn't want to acknowledge the AVG or the Flying Tigers at all, let alone in the same breath.

Original Flying Tigers
aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
mayor----thanks for your statement.  This gives me a chance to respond.  Believe me, the USAF clearly remembers the AVG Flying Tigers.  They have been very helpful in the recent process to disinter our 3 AVG from Toungoo.  As for the histories of the 14th AF, 23rd Fighter Wing, 23rd Fighter Group, 74FS, 75FS.....we are researching this question at this time.

Our organization is trying to work out these issues on the passing down of the name to later units.  The AVG Flying Tigers clearly authorized only the B-229 (Army Apache helicopter unit) to use the name.  As for all the other units, that is currently being worked on.....

For the other comments above, thank you also for your various stories and important info.

Edited by aaatripp : May 9, 2016, 8:24 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee
AVG Flying Tigers Association

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
ForumAdmin, robertm, WLSNiece, Shawn, Flyingunz, TexLonghorn, worldraft, dlmitx81, aaatripp, Highlander, BradSmith, BillC, mayor, LydiaRossi, BenL, 3AVG@Toungoo, AlanL, Nacho48, VS-5kid, gemiller111, Miha, myheroes, mcintoe, mranthonywong

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Original Flying Tigers