Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : Wings Over China

Threaded Mode | Print  

Wings Over China (19 Replies, Read 66391 times)
SilverDollar
Group: Member
Post Group: Elite Member
I did a cool thing tonight.  I was cleaning out my computer desk and found a couple of old games I haven't played in a while.  It's Combat Flight Simulator but I was also able to find an add on called Wings over China.  Instead of flying in Europe, the game is comprised of 20 different AVG missions.  I flew a P 40E and was Tex Hill's wingman (when I could find him in the air).  We flew over the Salween River and tried to knock out some Japanese armor and anti aircraft.  I dropped a big bomb but I didn't hit anything.  I also shot a lot of ammo but I didn't hit anything.  I think my guns are busted.  I'll have to get Chuck to tell me what's wrong with them.  This stuff is a lot harder than it looks even though it's only a game. 

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.
IP: --   

Wings Over China
aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
SD, following the AVG Reunion banquet in Wash. D.C. (in 2007) Tex sat at his table
up near the head table and told stories about the engagements at the Salween
Gorge....he was surrounded by fond admireers.....you could hear a pin drop.

Here's a suggestion===>now that you've got Tex's book, read his chapter about Salween and then fly the mission to get that extra layer of historic realism.....that you're really THERE...!

Tripp

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee
AVG Flying Tigers Association

Wings Over China
SilverDollar
That's a great idea.  That mission was a tough one to get through without getting hit by the anti aircraft.  I have a force feedback joy stick that bangs around and causes me to be all over the place.  Then again, it's not the real thing.

I tried Chennault's technique of getting altitude over the bombers and diving through the formation.  It's not as easy as it looks.  I remember reading Charlie Bond's book where he made a number of passes like that and couldn't hit anything.  On top of that I think his guns jammed on one pass.  BTW, I was Charlie Bond's wingman on one mission. 

I would have loved to be at that table with those admirers.  They would have had to drag me away.

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

Wings Over China
aaatripp

I recall reading that Charlie had been switching his guns on/off and, when he made his first pass, his guns were OFF.  He said that, after some choice words, he
switched them ON and was good to go.

Gotta watch those rear gunners too.  To get the full immersion effect, you might try replaying the Dogfights edition on the Flying Tigers (with stories by Tex and
John Alison) for that added effect.

Check Six, SD.

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

Wings Over China
BillC
SD, Have flown a P-40 in Combat Flight Simulator 2 many times. My plane of choice...even over the P-51. If you haven't been there before, I highly recommend the AB Squadron website....MANY planes and add-ons for CFS2. Here's the link to the master page, you'll find CFS2 among others. http://www.absquad.net/index.html

Wings Over China
SilverDollar
Thanks Bill.  I'll definitely check that site out.  I've also got CFS3 which is Europe but the graphics are a lot better.  I've got a whole set of medals from that game.  Too bad they're all Purple Hearts.  I get shot down alot. 

Tripp, I remember reading about that incident.  He wasn't too happy with himself.  BTW, it's usually the rear gunners that put all of those holes in my plane.  You can see the tracers coming at you but it's not easy to avoid all the time.  I've still got that Dogfights episode on my DVR.  I'll take a crack at it again. 

-----------------------

Wings Over China
aaatripp

Yes, and you'll hear John Alison speaking about how he could see the face of the rear gunner....apparently your "best buddies."  Chennault found the weak defensive spots of Japanese a/c, maybe this game allows you to probe and find "safe cones."
Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : December 31, 2010, 9:06 pm

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

Wings Over China
SilverDollar
I did a little more practicing today.  Chennault was right about coming in from above and doing a hit and run then diving down.  A lot of it seems to be your guns.  To cause a lot of damage, you really have to get in close and then open up.  If you're not close enough, you can't hit squat and you waste your ammo.

I tried the same missions in a P-51 and  a Kittyhawk to see the difference.  Those 50 cals tear apart Lilys like a chain saw.  I knocked down 3 of them with the P51 with no problem at a further distance than the P40.  The ideal range for the Tomahawk seemed to be about 200 to 400ft from your target.  If you go after the wing roots from above, you really tear the target apart especially with the Kittyhawk.  Also, team work is very important.  I know that knocking down planes by yourself is more profitable but the job is not to make money, it's to blow those enemy monkeys out of the air.  If it takes 3 of you to shoot one down,  that's one plane left to cause damage.  It's a really fun game but I'd hate to have to do the real thing at my level of expertise.  I need a lot more practice. 

-----------------------

Wings Over China
aaatripp

Tex grew up hunting in the Hill Country of Texas.  His father, Rev. Hill, was the chaplain of the Texas Rangers (the law enforcement guys, not the baseball team!).

In fact, when I called the house during the Christmas holidays in either 2005 or 2006 his wife Mazie told me "Tex isn't here; he's hunting javelina from a helicopter
with Herb!"  ("Herb" is Herb Kelleher, co-founder & Chairman Emeritus of Southwest Airlines).  When Tex visited the 229th the last time he won the target
shooting contest....in his 90s!!!

It takes that "hunter's eye" to knock down those birds and many top shots in the U.S. WWII military were country boys who knew how to hunt.

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

Wings Over China
SilverDollar
You're right, Tripp.  I'm a city boy.  The only thing I specifically went hunting for was bargains at the local hobby shops.  I went ocean fishing once but the only excitement I had was when I almost fell out of the boat.  I did however spend some time in the woods during my military career.  That was a good time. 

Another thing about Tex that made him such a good gunner was his daredevil nature.  According to his book, he never turned down a challenge which is what got him in trouble most of the time during his school years even in college. 

One big problem with the game is that you can't feel your airplane around you so it's very easy to stall out and not know it.  It's also easy to stress the plane beyond its limit because you can't feel the G's.   

-----------------------

Wings Over China
SilverDollar
Thanks to BillC, I watched Dogfights again and learned a few things for the WOC game.  Tonight, I was able to shoot down 4 Nates in one game.  Chennault said never dogfight with the enemy and that's what I did.  When you can catch an opening, you jump in, shoot and get the hell out.  Those things can turn on you and get on your six faster than you can see them do it.  You get away, climb, survey the situation and then act.  If you chase those guys all over the sky, they'll get you like a swarm of wasps. 

-----------------------

Wings Over China
BillC
Logitech had a Wingman Force joystick and throttle combo 5-10 years ago. It had a large base where the mechanism for the force feedback was enclosed. Like the name says, it gave you LOTS of feedback. You could feel the plane begin to shudder just before a stall. It also let you feel the vibration of your guns, and the impact of enemy bullets hitting your plane. I used to have one along with a set of rudder pedals. It was about as close as you can get sitting in front of a computer. I wore mine out.

Edited by BillC : January 7, 2011, 11:52 am

Wings Over China
aaatripp

.......and, tell us about your flight jacket, Bill......

;-D

(P.S. it sounds great!)

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair

Wings Over China
BillC
Heh, heh, heh...Yes, I must admit to a certain level of obsession with it at the time. When I have an interest in something I explore in some depth. Many late nights spent in my P-40....At one time, a private individual had posted the CFS2 paint schemes for ten AVG planes at his business website. I believe he went by Bruno "Knifemaker" Duffort. Sadly, when I looked a couple of years ago that stuff was no longer available for download. I think a couple may have survived in my saved files for the game. There was at least one AVG scheme available at http://www.absquad.netindex.html. Wouldn't mind having a flight jacket. Santa...Are you listening?.....Added the AB's P-40  and their B-25H. If you e-mail the webmaster, he will add your name on the fuselage of the P-40, personalizing the plane for you.

Edited by BillC : January 7, 2011, 12:36 am

Wings Over China
SilverDollar
It's the force feedback stick I'm using.  I'm jealous that you were able to get the rudder pedals.  They even had a separate throttle quad.  Unfortunately at the time, my computer couldn't handle all that stuff so I never bought any of it.  Now I could kick myself in the head.  I often told my wife that if we ever hit the lottery and I won a billion dollars, I would buy a house where I could install a P 40 simulator with all the bells and whistles. 

-----------------------

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
ForumAdmin, RickWolf, chuckbaisden, Shawn, puailihau, TexLonghorn, worldraft, dlmitx81, aaatripp, BradSmith, BillC, LydiaRossi, BenL, Fugari, RLWillett, SilverDollar, annwetherell, bsommers, hc8mm, m.smith, rjm65, tibor, APC4, L'Artista, tombros, bbischoff64, qianan, ktmahon, StephenLoane

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : Wings Over China