Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Flying Tiger Movie List

Threaded Mode | Print  

Flying Tiger Movie List, Movies that have a Flying Tiger in their story. (20 Replies, Read 15927 times)
puailihau
Group: Member
Post Group: Working Newbie
These are all the movies,
I have in my colection that have to do with "The Flying Tigers" or AVG.

Some are hard to find...

Which one is your favorite?

Flying Tigers 1942

China Girl 1942

Lady From Chingking 1942

Skys The limit 1943

Bombs Over Burma 1943

Hers to Hold 1943

God is My Co-pilot 1945

China's Little Devils 1945

Movie and TV nods to Flying Tigers:

Empire of the Sun: 1994

Magnum PI episode: RAPTURE

Tales of the Gold Monkey 1982

:)  :)  :)

Edited by puailihau : December 9, 2010, 11:39 am
IP: --   

Flying Tiger Movie List
SilverDollar
Post Group: Elite Member
Great list.  I'm glad you put this up because the only one I've really seen is the first one on the list.  At least now I know some good movies to look for.  Thanks. 

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

Flying Tiger Movie List
Charybdis
Post Group: Newbie
About "Tales of the Gold Monkey,"  it was a cool show on ABC-Tv back in 1982, I believe. However, they had a glaring error on their timeline.

The premise of the show was that Jake Cutter (the main character) had been in the Flying Tigers and was now a private pilot down in the South Pacific.  BUT, the show supposedly takes place in 1938!!!!  A full 3 years before the AVG were even put together...

still a cool show. i heard that it is available on a DVD set...

Flying Tiger Movie List
puailihau
Post Group: Working Newbie
That is why I listed Tales of the Gold Monkey as TV nod. It was kinda cheesy and is on DVD for only one season.

Most of the "timelines" are off in the films.  The Flying Tigers 1942 has Wayne fighting before December 7?! 

The movies and tv shows create the spirit and interest of the Tigers and keep history alive. 

Edited by puailihau : December 9, 2010, 11:39 am

Flying Tiger Movie List
SilverDollar
I think Flying Tigers is my favorite movie.  It's not because it's so great or that John Wayne is in it.  It's because it's the only one I've been able to find and see. :squi: .  Actually, I liked it because of the way the Chinese people in the movie react to them.  You can see how they feel expecially in the beginning with the looks from the young Chinese woman and the old lady with no teeth.  you can see the admiration in their eyes. 

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

Flying Tiger Movie List
thewoo1
Just to let you know my favorite God is my copilot came out in dvd two mos ago ..got mine at amazon.. also an old Robert Stack edmund O' Brien  Fighter squadron just came out..believe they mentioned that the character played by OB was a former AVG

Flying Tiger Movie List
SilverDollar
I remember Fighter Squadron.  I saw it when Ted Turner decided to colorize everything and ruined it.  It was as if someone colorized Twelve O'Clock High.  It just doesn't carry the same weight. 

-----------------------

Flying Tiger Movie List
BillC
God Is My Co-Pilot is the movie that introduced me to the AVG. It is actually fairly accurate in its' references to the AVG. Along with Errol Flynn's "They Died With Their Boots On", it was a one of the major influences on a young immigrant's view of America. I could not love this country more...even if I had been born here. God Bless America!

Flying Tiger Movie List
aaatripp

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
Great movie comments, guys.  We all have those "first impressions" which catch our eye or shape our images or perceptions.

God is My Co-Pilot is an outstanding film with John Ridgely cast as Tex Hill.  Many of the actual Tiger names are used (Bright, Schiel, Neale, Rector, Petach, Hill and
Chennault) and the photography is good.  They show the Jing Bao (2-ball warning system, etc.). 

More details at:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037746/fullcredits#cast

I was viewing FATE IS THE HUNTER last week for the first time in many years.  Glenn Ford & Rod Taylor had been flying buddies during WWII and when they have the flashback, they're flying cargo in a C-47 Dakota in mountains (probably over the Hump) and when they turn their backs on the camera, what do you see........the same blood chit worn by the AVG!! (or at least very similar).  It wasn't a P-40, but it sure felt close to home.

FIGHTER SQUADRON is a great movie about a P-47 FS with some great realtime
gun camera footage.  The folly of bad tactics from those in command (the general with all the slogans) over the issue of dropping tanks when pounced by
bandits sounded so much like our old buddy.....Clayton Bissell.....who demonstrated his ineptness to Chennault early on at the ACTS (Air Corps Tactical School) in the 30s before Chennault was forced out of the US Army Air Corps.  Sgt. Dolan was a comical figure with his black cats and shenanigans with the local ladies!  (the actor was Tom D'Andrea who was William Bendix's buddy on Life of Riley on TV).

Edited by aaatripp : January 14, 2011, 7:24 pm

Flying Tiger Movie List
thewoo1
Silver dollar you may be mistaken..Fighter squadron was not colorized its a late 40's technicolor great p47's but the 109's were black p51's.. I am pretty sure about the technicolor.. I am not home now so I cant check...But I agree with you coloring is sad

Flying Tiger Movie List
thewoo1
Hey Bill C those are two of my favorites.. God is close to accurate as previously notedl... But man that version Of Custer bordered on criminal IMO but Hollywood never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Edited by thewoo1 : January 15, 2011, 11:32 am

Flying Tiger Movie List
thewoo1
Hey Guys I remember reading in one of the AVG  books that the John Wayne movie was not well regarded by AVG as the the screenplay was written with the assistance of two not well regarded AVG support members who were dishonorably discharged. have you guys heard this before... Maybe  this was mentioned by Smith or Bond  Possibly in their books

Flying Tiger Movie List
aaatripp

Fighter Sqdn. (1948) was originally filmed in Technicolor, but not well executed.  There's a scene on the flight line where the P-47s are lined up and sport a variety of colors on their nose cowlings.  For further info. see:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040353/fullcredits#cast

Of note, you'll see two fledgling actors----Jack Larson (Jimmy Olsen in the Superman TV series) and a guy named Rock Hudson (star of many movies).
Tripp

Flying Tiger Movie List
SilverDollar
If it was technicolor then you're right.  It was very badly done.  I remember that the colors of the uniforms were way off and there were some other problems with it.  I guess it was bad enough that it looked like one of Ted Turner's color hatchet jobs.  I'm glad that's not being done anymore. 

-----------------------

Flying Tiger Movie List
aaatripp

The Technicolor director for FS is listed as Natalie Kalmus, who worked the color on
over 300 movies, starting in 1933.  She was born Natalie Dunfee in 1878 in Boston, MA.

Flying Tiger Movie List
BillC
I believe the John Wayne Tiger movie was not thought highly of by the AVG because it was such a cornball treatment. That Sanger and Moore (who had a 'thing' for one another) were attached to it, certainly didn't gain it any additional points. Their lies about being combat veterans unfortunately were taken at face value. Nothing could have been further from the truth.

Edited by BillC : January 15, 2011, 6:02 pm

Flying Tiger Movie List
SilverDollar
It's a funny thing but it was that cornball treatment that attracted me to the movie in the first place.  I knew right off the bat when I first saw it that it was fiction.  It bugged me at first but then it sort of grew on me.  It had lots of action, some cool flying scenes and not too much of the mushy stuff that makes you put your hands over your eyes. 

-----------------------

Flying Tiger Movie List
aaatripp

You said it SD......look at many of those movies from that era....the patriotic subplot, the music, the scenes with the flag, American pride.  Hollywood was fighting the war too with many famous directors having mlty. commissions.  The
Walt Disney Studios were in it in a big way (nose art, cartoons, the Flying Tiger logo) and there was a Frank Capra series starting in 1943 called "Why We Fight"
to boost morale and instill purpose in the American public.

The Axis powers thought we were a weak people that couldn't stomach a fight (decadent from the Jazz Age and movies) and that we couldn't tolerate casualties.  A strategic weakness.  Many saw this as a vulnerability, even today.

Back in early 1942 there wasn't much good news at home:  the dominoes were
falling in the East with the fall of Singapore, Hong Kong, Burma, the Bataan Death March.  Without public opinion in support of the war it would have been tough to sustain and build the war effort the way we did.  Many of the movies
have a little tag at the end "Buy your war bonds in this theater".

When a movie provokes your feelings....it's "mission accomplished" by the director and the screenwriters.  Flying Tigers was one such movie......about
Americans at war against aggression.....and the need to fight.

Flying Tiger Movie List
SilverDollar
The patriotic feelings and fervor during WWII were at a level the likes of which had never been seen before and I seriously doubt we'll ever see again.  The largest part of popular and media attention was focused on the war effort.  There were so many movies, songs, cartoons and advertisements out there that you couldn't miss it if you tried.  Popular support was at an all time high and antiwar protests, although present, were few and far between.  And when it was over and a soldier came home, he was welcomed with open arms.  Heck, he couldn't even buy a drink by himself without someone stepping up and paying for it.  It's too bad we've lost some of that patriotism over the last 50 to 60 years. 

-----------------------

Flying Tiger Movie List
BillC
Amen. I challenge anyone to see Kate Smith sing "God Bless America" in the movie 'This Is the Army'....and NOT get a lump in your throat. As many times as I've seen that segment, it never fails to give me goosebumps. It's not just a song, but also has patriotic video vignettes as a backdrop. It's a pride check for any American.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnQDW-NMaRs

Edited by BillC : January 16, 2011, 6:34 pm

Flying Tiger Movie List
SilverDollar
I've got that video from YouTube and you're right.  Since I don't want to start a hi jack on this thread, I'm going to start another one and talk about those patriotic songs and movies that were so common back in the 40's.  Meet me over there guys.  I'm sure you're going to like it.  :D

-----------------------

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Flying Tiger Movie List