Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Flying Tigers list

Threaded Mode | Print  

Flying Tigers list (7 Replies, Read 16187 times)
Nell
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
I was wondering I could find a list of the replacements, not just the original Flying Tigers. 
IP: --   

Flying Tigers list
SilverDollar
Post Group: Elite Member
There really were no replacements for individual AVG members.  In July of 42, the whole AVG was replaced by the 14th AF of the USAAF.  The old movie Flying Tigers with John Wayne showed a new flyer coming in after they lost one of the pilots.  That was completely fiction. 

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

Flying Tigers list
BillC
There were no 'replacements' as such, although some of the original AVG did come over in groups. Some entered combat before the later arrivals, who were still 'in training' on December 20th 1941. Several of the instructors of the Chinese pilots flew with the AVG near the end of their contract. Van Shepard is one that comes to mind. Believe there were 2-3 more. The China Air Task Force (CATF) was the original replacement unit for the AVG.

Flying Tigers list
SilverDollar
Thanks Bill for helping me out there with the facts.  I'm always willing to learn and God knows I need to learn a heck of a lot more.  you guys have a really big head start on me. 

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

Flying Tigers list
jon67
Post Group: Newbie
I know this is not the right thread but I just can\'t figure out how to post a new thread - I have a picture of my Grandfather Tom Barr sitting on the wing of the \"Yokohama Yardbird\" It is a p51 and while you can\'t see it in the copy I am posting, the pilot\'s name is listed as Col. T.Z. Rector. The name of the Mustang is famous, but I can find no documentation for a T.Z. Rector, only Col. Ed Rector, and I thought he flew P40s. The Yardbird is listed on the AVG pages I have researched as having been flown by Lt. Col. C.H. Older. any info would be helpful.

Flying Tigers list
aaatripp

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
Hello jon67----

To post a new topic you go to the INDEX for the AVG Forum, then click on Public Discussions.  On that page you'll see a listing of the most current topics.  In the
upper left corner just above the list you'll see the button for NEW TOPIC....and
there you go....

For some response to your questions, the photo of your grandfather pictures him on the wing of a P-51D (or K model).  The 14AF acquired its later model P-51s in early 1945.  Books written by AVG members will state that their early P-51s were B models (and Cs built at the Dallas plant) which were so old that the guys recognized the serial numbers as those on planes they had trained on in Fla.!!

As for C.H. Older----that's Charles Herman Older.  Chuck Older was a Marine pilot recruited into the AVG.  He was assigned to plane #68 in the 3rd Sqdn (the
Hell's Angels) and you can read more about him at:   
                http://www.flyingtigersavg.com/Bio%27s/bio-older.htm

His P-40 is flown by 3rd Sqdn CO Arvin Olson in R.T. Smith's famous photo of the 5 AVG P-40s in formation.

Chuck Baisden is a moderator on this Forum.  Later in the war, Chuck was assigned to the 1st Air Commandos, but perhaps he knew some of the P-51 Sqdn ground personnel.....Chuck??

Edited by aaatripp : December 29, 2010, 10:04 pm

Flying Tigers list
aaatripp

jon67-----another item.  The insignia to the right of your grandfather is most likely
his squadron insignia.  Posted here is the organizational chart for the 14AF.  You
might check the different Fighter Sqdns. and see if there's a match on the insignia.

Though the 14AF Assn. has stopped having reunions, there is certainly a chance
that your grandfather's fighter group or squadron is still meeting, having an active org, an active website, or even a newsletter.  It may certainly be possible to meet some of his mates from 1944-45 in the CBI (China-Burma-India Theater of Ops).  Here's the Wikipedia link on the 14AF which also lists its WWII units:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14th_Air_Force

From what I can tell the fighter groups are:
  3rd, 5th, 23rd, 33rd, 51st, 81st & 311th Fighter Groups

That should get you started----good luck!
Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : December 29, 2010, 11:31 pm

Flying Tigers list
aaatripp

Back to the topic of Flying Tigers replacement list-----

There is a difference in the transition from the AVG to 23FG and then from 23FG to 14AF. 

On 4 July 1942, the AVG was disbanded and passed into history.  It was replaced July '42 by the 23rd Fighter Group (commanded by Col. Robert Lee Scott, who wrote GOD IS MY CO-PILOT).  The 23FG was under the CATF (China Air Task Force) which was commanded by Brig. Gen. Chennault.

In March, 1943 the 23FG was absorbed into the 14AF (commanded by Maj. Gen.  Chennault) and remained an active fighter group of the 14AF until after the war.  It is still an active FG today and flies the A-10 Warthogs out of Moody AFB, Ga.  They carry the FT designation on the tail and sport the Shark's mouth insignia.  One of the Fighter Sqdns. within the 23FG is the 75FS (the "Tiger Sharks) which was a legacy group from the 2nd Pursuit Sqdn Panda Bears, and
was commanded by Tex Hill.  The 75FS CO's callsign is "SHARK ONE" and I've had the honor of meeting 3 Shark Ones.......BUT, as Tex said to Donk at the AVG
Reunion in 2006 in DC....."there will only be one SHARK ONE!"
Tripp

Edited by aaatripp : December 30, 2010, 8:22 am

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : Flying Tigers list