Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : A.V.G JACKET ON EBAY?????

Threaded Mode | Print  

A.V.G JACKET ON EBAY?????, CHECK ITEM NUMBER 370481136641 (14 Replies, Read 10714 times)
markap40
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
HELLO, JUST THOUGHT YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK THIS OUT. 
IP: --   

A.V.G JACKET ON EBAY?????
SilverDollar
Post Group: Elite Member
Holy Schmoley, if that thing is real it's worth a fortune.  The big question is, is it real?  It's too easy to fake something like that.  The experts here can clarify this one. 

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

WayneForshey
This thing is an obvious fake.  No ID tag and if one could blow up the picture showing the inside of the collar there is a name written there.  Also I've never seen a jacket with the aircraft number under the 3rd pursuit insignia and none with kill markings.  This isn't even a good attempt at a forgery.

BillC
Looks real on the face of it....BUT...there are those that are good at taking a correct period jacket and adding stuff, then weathering it to blend in with the condition of the old jacket. It is possible that this was Ken Jernstedt's jacket, but Richard Peacher is the one that would know, unless Chuck Baisden recalls this as belonging to Ken. If it's a fake, it's a good one. But you should always be skeptical. One thing stands out as incorrect, Ken flew #88 as 'his' plane, not #73. Having said that, I don't recall, without some looking, whether #88 made it all the way till July 4, 1942....Checked the Pistole book, and #73 is listed as another plane that Ken flew to some extent....One other suspicious thing is that, although the cap looks of appropriate age, the Chinese badge looks way too fresh. Looks like it's a later addition. Although not a signature, that does resemble Ken's hand somewhat......Initially, I just looked at the photos. After reading all the text, I saw that the cap is almost certainly not Ken's. Waiting to hear from Richard for an expert opinion. 

Edited by BillC : February 5, 2011, 12:30 pm

SilverDollar
Definitely we need Richard to take a look at this.  I did a little research on the jacket type and it seems to be the correct one for the period i.e. a Navy M422a and not a G1.  The thing is, the 422 label is gone which is suspicious and  there is no paperwork with the jacket proving where it came from.  At those prices, it's always best to err on the side of caution.  I'd leave it alone.

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

flynpeach
It's all bogus, not even close. Everything about it is bad. I have seen, handled, and owned enough original AVG jackets, and many CBI theater leather jackets to recognize an obvious attempt to fool your average person. That is all the fakers needs to do. I just went through an advanced collectors AVG items and I saw all the familiar stuff done by con men who sell to antique stores, small shops, ebay, etc. They sell these to them for a few hundred to a person thinking they are striking it rich. They sell lots of them, so the fakers do fine with many multiple sales. First clue...no AVG pilot painted kills on his jacket, if he did there is no photographic record. Trust me, I have seen very advanced fakes of AVG jackets, and there are ALWAYS tells.

A totally bogus wing and bullion breast badge sold on ebay for thousands. While a original items stayed under the radar and wound up with me. Everyone always swears their stuff is real. I can tell the original stuff within seconds. It comes from having stared at hundreds and hundreds of original items for 30 years.

Thanks Bill for the thread tip off, I had meant to post but get caught up in numerous forums (non AVG) I write stuff for.

Richard

Edited by flynpeach : February 5, 2011, 1:22 pm

WayneForshey
Richard,

How many original AVG jackets are still out there by your estimate?

Thanks,

Wayne Forshey

flynpeach
Wayne,

This is only speculation, but I would say anywhere from 9 to maybe 20. Most AVG vets that were pilots did not have their jackets still. Most were worn out or given away. I have first hand knowledge of about 5. I have seen tons of them being offered as AVG, but alas most are fake and if real, 14th Air Force.

Richard

markap40
Posted an invitation for the seller to join the website for discussion two days ago , as of yet no reply.

WayneForshey
Richard,

Thanks so much for answering me.  You confirmed what I thought.  An original AVG jacket would be one of the rarest finds on the face of the earth.  The only original jacket that I have ever seen is the one in the USAF Museum in Dayton, Ohio.

Wayne Forshey

SilverDollar
There are two that I know of for sure.  One is the one at the USAF Museum and the other, Chuck Baisden's jacket was given to Larry Pistole.  The one at the museum belonged to George Bailey, an AVG crew chief and then ultimately a member of the 23rd FG.  That one was an M422a.  Chuck's jacket was an A2.  Chuck, did you ever get that jacket back? 

-----------------------

chuckbaisden
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Working Member
To  set the record straight, I purchased my  A2 at an Army/Navy store in San Francisco just prior to leaving for  Burma on the President Pierce for $20. Wore it in China and in 1944 wore it when in the First Air Commando.
I sold it to Larry Pistole for $500 in 1947? as I could no longer wear it and needed the money. I saw it briefly when Larry sold  his collection back  to the AVG and far far as I know, languishes somewhere in the museum in Seattle.  :xd:
I did paint my 58 combat missions on the back of the jacket.

Chuck Baisden

SilverDollar
Thanks Chuck for that info.  You did a great job on that jacket.  I think I read Charlie Bond also private purchased his own A2 same as you did.  I wonder what happened to that jacket and whether or not it had any artwork. 

It's just too bad there are so many forgeries out there.  I can understand why many guys paint and wear reproductions.  I'm one of those.  Whoever we talk to, we make sure they know it's not the real deal.  But to turn around and knowingly try to cheat the unsuspecting and uninformed collector really torques me off.  I quit collecting altogether.  I can't tell the real things from the fakes anymore. 

-----------------------

BillC
A number of Charlie's things are on display in a Dallas museum. I believe it's the Cavanaugh Museum. Not sure about the jacket. Jack told me Charlie's children were 'shopping' around some of the things he left them.

Edited by BillC : February 8, 2011, 5:07 pm

HellsAngel
I would like someone to look at my AVG jacket. It belonged to, as the name tag states, R. P. Hedman, or Duke, America's first WW2 ACE...  On the jacket, nothing is painted, all sewn on...  There is Walt Disney eys Tiger Logo, bottom Left, top right breast R. P. HEDMAN, TOP LEFT BREAST seven Japanese meatballs, this is the assumed number that Duke would say he got, according to his crew chief I talked to Leo Sxhramm(Leo The Tiger) Below the name tag towards the bottom Hells Angels Logo. On the back, Blood Chit, Faded Blue marking, with serial Number, as all real Blood Chits should have... On the inside pocket, there is a HUGE fold out silk map, of China Burma India...  After talking to Erik Shilling Tex Hill and a few others, They believe this could very well be authentic. The question is that if it were a fake, even a good one, you just can't produce silk maps of China Burma India, that was Chaing Ki Checks MO...  ALSO, when Duke helped formal Flying Tiger Lines, he flew a lot out of Long Beach, where jacket was found. Erik Shilling said his son had a drug problem and may have panned it for a little cash...  How does this sound design to you. Have had jacket 14 plus yrs......  Stitching get seems to be of time

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : A.V.G JACKET ON EBAY?????