Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : 427th Night Fighter Squadron bomber jacket

Threaded Mode | Print  

427th Night Fighter Squadron bomber jacket, Protocol question (10 Replies, Read 39614 times)
Daddyoh56
Group: Member
Post Group: Newbie
I am having my dad's Black Widow bomber jacket restored to frame for a memorial.  I've read that dad's unit with the 10th AF, which was stationed in China Burma India, is considered part of the flying tigers, even though it wasn't the original squadron.  Dad's jacket has the black widow patch over the left breast, nothing over the right breast, a 10th AF patch on the right shoulder, and a CBI patch on the left.  He apparently bought a leather flying tiger patch (looks like it may have been made in china), but never had it sewn on.
My question is would it be appropriate to display the flying tiger patch on his jacket over the left breast?
IP: --   

427th Night Fighter Squadron bomber jacket
SilverDollar
Post Group: Elite Member
I wouldn't remove the Black Widow patch to put on another patch.  It will devalue your jacket. 

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

gemiller111
Post Group: Working Newbie
If I was displaying my dad's jacket, I would do so as he wore it.  And proudly so.  I would consider displaying the tiger patch separately.  There is a reason your dad did not sew it on.  Perhaps he bought it for a souvenir or a memory of the 14th AF men that he served with.

Edited by gemiller111 : July 20, 2012, 6:47 am

SilverDollar
Exactly what kind of condition is the jacket in?  The reason I ask is because if it's not in bad shape and without rotting areas, without tears or seam separation and without cuff and jacket bottom damage, I wouldn't restore it.  The only reason I would restore the jacket is if it's a basket case.  Otherwise, a restorer could do some damage to the patches and the integrity of the jacket if they really are not used to restoring thi kind of item.  I would also recommend displaying it on a mannequin torso of some type.  You can see that kind of display on some jackets offered on eBay.  I'd never leave it on a thin hanger. 

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

427th Night Fighter Squadron bomber jacket`
Daddyoh56
The jacket is in really rough shape.  Dried out and cracked/torn.  Definitely needs restoration and repair to display.  I don't think the shoulder patches will come back, they are very faded.  But I found a lady in Dallas that thinks she can help - I sent her photos. 

Since dad kept the extra patch all these years, I assumed he always meant to sew it on.  I just wasn't sure where to put it or if it would be bad form to have a flying tiger patch along with the original black widow one.

Dad was in CBI, and some of the info I've found on the internet says that anyone stationed in CBI was considered part of the flying tigers.  I figured the folks on this forum would be the best to make that call though.

LydiaRossi
Group: Moderator

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
Whoever said "anyone who stationed in the CBI was considered part of the flying tigers" doesn't know much about history. Just think of all of the hundreds of thousands of people that would include!
At this forum we know that the only people who can truly call themselves by that legendary name; the only ones to be called that during WWII,  are the members of the American Volunteer Group (about 300 members). The 14th Air Force did not adopt the name until the 1950s (about 20,000 members). Now you say ....... everyone in the CBI ........ wow, what a large group!!!
If you will research at this forum you will find a lot of discussion on this subject.
Lydia Rossi

SilverDollar
Quote From : Daddyoh56 July 20, 2012, 9:08 pm
The jacket is in really rough shape.  Dried out and cracked/torn.  Definitely needs restoration and repair to display.  I don't think the shoulder patches will come back, they are very faded.  But I found a lady in Dallas that thinks she can help - I sent her photos. 

Since dad kept the extra patch all these years, I assumed he always meant to sew it on.  I just wasn't sure where to put it or if it would be bad form to have a flying tiger patch along with the original black widow one.

Dad was in CBI, and some of the info I've found on the internet says that anyone stationed in CBI was considered part of the flying tigers.  I figured the folks on this forum would be the best to make that call though.
I understand on that one.  You're right.  The jacket needs a restoration.  Just make sure the lady you have on tap knows what she is doing.  As far as the name Flying Tigers, like Lydia says, it's been a bone of contention between the AVG and the 14th AF for many years.  Even Chennault didn't call the 14th AF Flying Tigers.  I remember when I had the good fortune to meet original AVG member George Bailey, crew chief.  I asked him about the 14th AF being called Flying Tigers.  His response just about singed all the hair on my face. 

-----------------------

Daddyoh56
Thank you for the honest replies.  Based on the feedback, I will not be adding the Flying Tigers patch to my dad's jacket, I'll just have the jacket restored as is.  Hopefully they'll be able to clean it up.  I'll post before and after pictures after it's done.

I do have a bunch of other items from dad's service in CBI.  Photos of him in a rickshaw with his pilot, nice
portrait of the two of them and dad by himself.  Money he kept from the countries he visited.  He wrote each place in the spine of his wallet and saved that too.  I was thinking I could frame a shadow box to display with the jacket including that sort of stuff - I'll put the patch there.

Thanks again, everyone.

AlfieWallis
You
have this picture?I
want to see.

-----------------------
numerous references to the utility of a Replica Louis Vuitton

SilverDollar
Quote From : Daddyoh56 July 29, 2012, 7:27 pm
Thank you for the honest replies.  Based on the feedback, I will not be adding the Flying Tigers patch to my dad's jacket, I'll just have the jacket restored as is.  Hopefully they'll be able to clean it up.  I'll post before and after pictures after it's done.

I do have a bunch of other items from dad's service in CBI.  Photos of him in a rickshaw with his pilot, nice
portrait of the two of them and dad by himself.  Money he kept from the countries he visited.  He wrote each place in the spine of his wallet and saved that too.  I was thinking I could frame a shadow box to display with the jacket including that sort of stuff - I'll put the patch there.

Thanks again, everyone.
Try this link.  www.vintageleatherjackets.org.  This is a forumn strictly dedicated to old leather jackets, particularly the military jackets.  They may be able to guide you towards a good restorer or help you learn what constitutes a good restorer and how to find one in your lcal area.  Many of the members are real experts on jackets.

-----------------------

Daddyoh56
Reply to Alfie Wallis - which photos did you want to see?

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
ForumAdmin, Shawn, TexLonghorn, worldraft, dlmitx81, aaatripp, BillC, LydiaRossi, jbvo, SilverDollar, bbischoff64, gemiller111, Daddyoh56, AlfieWallis, felleredwards, StephenLoane

Users viewing this topic
1 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > General Stuff > Generals > Topic : 427th Night Fighter Squadron bomber jacket