Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register  

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : MEMORIAL DAY - merge of 3 topics

Threaded Mode | Print  

MEMORIAL DAY - merge of 3 topics, A time to pause, remember and thank those who gave so much for our Freedom.... (12 Replies, Read 30282 times)
BillC
Group: Member
Post Group: Elite Member
Over this Memorial Day holiday weekend is a great time to wear your AVG Flying Tigers polo shirt. If you don't have one yet....get one...and support the FTA.
IP: --   

Memorial Day weekend
SilverDollar
That's a great idea, Bill.  They definitely need to be remembered.

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

puailihau
Post Group: Working Newbie
A few of us from the AVG Living History Group will be attending the annual memorial day service in Los Angeles at the National Cemetery.  We will be remembering those who served our country, especially the AVG!  If any of you would like to attend, located in Westwood, Ca. 

Edited by puailihau : May 25, 2011, 9:45 am

Memorial Day Service LA NAT. Cemetery
mzulauf
Post Group: Newbie
I wonder if you might be able to identify a veteran now living in Ft. Myers Fla.  I failed to ask his name on May 14, 2011 in the Ft. Myers Walmart after helping him reach an item he wanted to purchase.  I saw the Flying Tigers ball cap he was wearing and when I asked he stated I was a Flying Tiger.  He stated he was attending an upcoming event and that the surviving group members still had get togethers.  I was so starstruck by his presence and what he stood for in terms of American history and the sacrafices he and others had made for us all.  All I can tell you is that besides being an elderly white male, he used a wheelchair.

puailihau
The ceremony was poiugnant and the AVG was remembered yesterday.

SilverDollar
That's good to hear.  This July 4th, it will be their 70th anniversary.  How time flies. 

-----------------------
Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truckload of brains. Author unknown.  Found in a fortune cookie and that's the honest truth.

puailihau
Here is link to a few pictures.
https://picasaweb.google.com/AVGLHG/MemorialDayLANationalCemeter y#
Since we were in the ceremony, we only were able to have these.  :angel:

SilverDollar
Those are fantastic pictures.  That must have been a great ceremony.  I just wish I lived close enough to join the re enactment group.  I've got the uniforms.  BTW, if the lady is in a USAAF uniform, her hair is definitely out of regs.  Now if she were in an AVG uniform, then anything goes. ;-D

Edited by SilverDollar : June 2, 2011, 1:19 pm

-----------------------

aaatripp
Group: Moderator
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
As we approach Memorial Day we are reminded of the service, dedication and sacrifice of those who have served America and our Allies in the defense of Freedom all over the world.  Some paid the ultimate price and did not return.  Others suffered severe wounds, both physical and mental, from the horrors of war and many still carry those wounds today.  To their families we are indeed grateful for their support of their service member as they endured the long periods of absence and worry and sometimes grief......

When you are celebrating summer with cookouts, sales at the mall, etc. please pause for a moment to say......Thank You to our service men and women!

The AVG Flying Tigers Association

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee
AVG Flying Tigers Association

MEMORIAL DAY 2016
LydiaRossi

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
Well said Tripp.....we do remember all.

MEMORIAL DAY
aaatripp
Post Group: Super Member

cousin of Maax C. Hammer, Jr., AVG 22Sep41 RIP
As we approach Memorial Day we are reminded of the service, dedication and sacrifice of those who have served America and our Allies in the defense of Freedom all over the world.  Some paid the ultimate price anddid not return.  Others suffered severe wounds, both physical and mental, from the horrors of war and many still carry those wounds today.  To their families we are indeed grateful for their support of their service member as they endured the long periods of absence and worry and sometimes grief......

When you are celebrating summer with cookouts, sales at the mall, etc. please remember the original and real pupose of observing Memorial Day.  If you can....there are many veterans graves to be flagged in cemeteries around the world.  Whatever you do, please pause for a moment to say......Thank You to our service men and women!

We honor our Tigers...those still living (Frank Losonsky & Dr. Carl K. Brown) and those who have "headed West" by warmly saying....WELL DONE and thanks, Boys, we'll never forget you!!

Edited by aaatripp : May 23, 2017, 9:03 am

-----------------------
Tripp

Tripp Alyn, chair
Historical & Museums Committee
AVG Flying Tigers Association

MEMORIAL DAY - merge of 3 topics
LydiaRossi

Widow of AVG pilot J. R. Rossi
A good time to remember all of our veterans and especially those of our AVGFT. Not many of those heroes left now.
God bless them all.

MEMORIAL DAY - merge of 3 topics
a2jacketpatches
Post Group: Newbie
Yes, Memorial Day spotlights all that died for this country, nuff said.

« Previous    Next »

Threaded Mode | Print  

Jump To :

Members who read this topic
Shawn, aaatripp, LydiaRossi, BenL, a2jacketpatches

Users viewing this topic
4 guests, 0 users.

You are here: Index > Flying Tigers AVG Public > Public Discussions > Topic : MEMORIAL DAY - merge of 3 topics